[Suggestion] Notify old users of the upgrades

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Lianail, Jul 3, 2020.

1. I had quit playing EMC when the server didn't get upgraded for a long time. There may be many older players that haven't come back because they forgot about the server after quitting for the same reason. My suggestion is to send a PM from your site to players that had some decent amount of time played, but haven't logged in for over 3 or 6 months. If they have an email account linked to their EMC account, they might get the message and come back to try the server again. Tell them about the 1.15 upgrade and the upcoming 1.16 upgrade. Target the wording to get those players back that went away looking for the new content.
  2. Especially with all the quaruntines, this could be effective. I came back for that fact. I had no idea about the upgrades, but I would have come back sooner if I had known.

Source: I played back in 2014-2015ish, then came back a few months ago.
    Bunjimon348 likes this.
  3. All updates are categorized in the forum category, 'Empire Updates'. You can find them here.
  4. That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about emailing old active members directly what the updates have been to bring them back.
  5. Apologies. Understood, and I do like this idea.
  6. Right!? I kind of want to see some older friends back. I'm glad Yix is still around - although I knew him as MinecraftPro something.
  7. Don't forget to thumb's up if you like the idea. :D
  8. Im just wondering but how often at all would the email be sent out? And if so what would the email contain? Just some wondering
  9. My idea was just a one time shot. They no longer have the issue that kept them from upgrading, so the email wouldn't need to be repeated. As far as content, just something like:

"Hey, did you leave EMC because we weren't getting the newest upgrades? Well guess what! We are back on track. We have already upgraded to 1.15 and will be upgrading to 1.16 in a few weeks. So if you want a familiar server with all the benefits you liked before and also has the newest upgrades, come back and try the server again!"

Again, the idea is to just send it as a private message on the forum server and let it get delivered where it can be. It shouldn't take a lot of effort, other than to get the list of candidates to send it to.
  10. I have been debating how to answer this suggestion. The simplest answer is that we cannot do what is suggested. Not because we don't want to - but the limitation is on our website setup (only a partial explanation there).

Big picture problem is that marketing emails have to be explicitly opt-in. And when most everyone registered in-game, there was never a disclosure they were agreeing to any marketing emails. This strictness was not as much of a requirement back when EMC was created, but is a hard rule in current day.
    Krysyy, WallyBean and Bunjimon348 like this.
  11. I believe the point being made is that some users have it set up to receive an email when they get a forum message. All we're suggesting you send a message on the website, and then IF they get an email, yay! If not, we tried
  12. Well. You all are welcome to send messages to your friends if you wish.

The semantic argument of calling it a "PM" does not change the fact that it could be considered an unauthorized marketing email. At best considered spam, at worst illegal.
    Did you know that the "Mark as Spam" button in gmail sends that message to Google for their algorithm to better detect spam emails? In other words, empireminecraft's emails could start always getting sent to spam for everyone. Including legit forum notifications, password resets, etc.
    Regardless, I know of no magic buttons to send such a mass message out...

I am not going to say there isn't an advertisement solution out there to target delinquent EMC members; the suggested method is not an option though.
    Krysyy and WallyBean like this.
  13. I get a lot of emails from empireminecraft for every thread I watch. Perhaps something like encouraging members to "watch" the Empire Updates category on forums so they get an email whenever an update comes out. Obviously players could easily unsubscribe if they feel like it's spam, but due to the infrequent posting on that forum category, I doubt it will be too much spam.
  14. I thought that sending a PM on your own forums would not be included in that rule, since it doesn't send an email unless the user enabled that themselves.
  15. It's funny that you say you get emails from EMC. I've legit gotten 0 from EMC. Perhaps this is a server issue? My email settings are configured correctly, but I've received none.
  16. In "Contact Details" it only goes to people that have the setting turned on.

Receive email when a new conversation message is received
    Email notifications for new conversations, replies to existing conversations, and being added to an existing conversation.

An email is only sent when that condition is met. There is another setting for administrative notifications. I don't know if that would apply for what Chickeneer stated.
  17. Locking this thread. As chickeneer has stated, the original suggestion is not necessarily possible for us to achieve. Follow up suggestion moved to its own thread.
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.