[Suggestion] New Player Tutorial

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ThaKloned, May 7, 2020.

1. Just gonna say it. The tutorial isn't doing it. It's not enough info. It doesn't show what EMC is all about (or enough) and new players are still lost.

Bring back the tutorial with the momentus and marlix cages.

Why? That thing had it all. Almost all the info you need to understand how to EMC. Maybe just spruce it up with new blocks, mobs, etc. and good to go.

And before it's just a no, why not consider a test run for a month. See how the new players handle it. Then alter it. Heck create a survey at the end they can click on to say what they would chance.

I went through that tutorial and it told everything I needed to know.

Please consider this.

Thanks! :)
  2. +1 i liked that tutorial alot :)
  3. Absolutely. It was more then a tutorial, it was a journey though EMC. Through the mines, through the wilderness, the things you could run into.. just so much info too.
    Nickblockmaster and wafflecoffee like this.
  4. If there is a survey at the end, you should make a rupee incentive so people will actually submit a survey. If I was a new player, I would probably not do the survey unless I had an incentive.... unless you mean for current/veteran players to do this survey as well then that'd work without the incentive.

I have not done the current tutorial, but have seen the questions that new players are asking. EMC has so many features that are different from vanilla, and they should all/most be in the tutorial.

Momentus and Marlix cages should be a thing, I have seen people ask "What is a Marlix?!" in chat and had an unfortunate encounter. So I plus that idea too.
  5. 2k to take the survey and help out the server. Win for all.

I agree. I don't think I asked many questions when I left the tutorial because it was pretty much all run through. I'm pretty sure I went back multiple times just to check on something or just to look at it again. It really was a great build.
  6. +1 i think players need to know more even put a link the empire youtube videos as a tutorial! :)
    BenMA likes this.
  7. +1
    I hate the "why don't they just click the link and look at the guide" thing because there are various reasons at to why people won't open the guide in a separate browser:
    -Their computer might not be able to handle it
    -They might not realize that it is a link
    -People only skim through the chat info and don't look too closely at it
    -The link doesn't work for them (I've been having trouble opening links in game lately. Clicking "yes" doesn't work. I find that I have to copy and paste in a browser, and some people might not be aware of why that is)
    -Naturally, people are lazy and don't really want to put in the effort to understand a server. They just want to get in and go. If that means that we have to spoonfeed the info to new players then personally I'm totally fine with that!
    -Having to go to a completely different place in order to learn about the place you are currently in is exhausting for some people (I'm that people).

Additionally, I know it's a nice thing to say "If you have any questions than feel free to ask", but at someone with a learning disorder, the new players might not even know what they don't know, so they have no idea what questions they CAN ask.
  8. The large tutorial, while informative, affected retention rates in a negative way. There has to be a balance of required knowledge and time to completion or else we lose players that simply don't want to complete it, but would stick around if they could just jump in to the community. This was proven by retention numbers and why the current tutorial was put into place. We know it's not ideal, but it's better numbers behind the scenes.

We've been saying for a while that tutorial changes would be looked at after the update. We're still working on the update bugs, etc so we're not yet done there.

Because this suggestion was already made, brought up and commented on April 10th, this thread is being closed due to duplicate.
    Impulsive_Egg and BennyBeltsjets like this.