[SUGGESTION] Modify or divide "recent threads"

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by We3_MPO, Apr 18, 2018.

1. I've seen many people complain about how, many times they log in or if they want to see what threads have been active lately, they come across mostly (or even completely sometimes) auctions/marketplace threads and controversial topics. As someone who now believes he is much better off not reading or participating in the controversial threads, and who rarely bids on auctions due to being out in the frontier, I share their outrage/frustration. Therefore, today I suggest you do one of two things:
    1. Divide the "recent threads" into three categories:
      1. Controversial
      2. Auctions/Marketplace
      3. Other
    2. Otherwise, you could simply eliminate those things from being counted in the "recent threads" and recommend for auctioneers and people looking to hire/recruit advertise it in their statuses (as long as it's not so often that it's against EMC rules, of course).
    If this can't be added or is just too much work, I understand. It's just a suggestion, and this time, something I've seen many people complain about before.
  2. I personally like the way it is currently but that is my preference. What I recommend if possible would be a filter option, so as you said you could filter out threads that come from specific forum categories(i.e. Auctions, Controversial Topics, Forum Games, etc.)
    607, We3_MPO, Tuqueque and 1 other person like this.
  3. +1, I support having one section for auction/marketplace threads and one for everything else. It's irritating when you come on the forums late at night and 7/10 recent threads are auctions.
    FadedMartian, We3_MPO and Tuqueque like this.
  4. 607 and We3_MPO like this.
  5. I guess that's a thought but another could be just opening up the actual section and seeing what is new. That or since the current list of recent only take the last 9 threads into account. Maybe getting that number raised to say 15 threads.
    We3_MPO and 607 like this.
  6. A better option would be a option when logged in to have a area where you can go on forums and check (Do not show anything from this forum in my new post feed).

In there you can choose to not show content in recent posts.

That way the layout stays the same,
    We3_MPO and Tuqueque like this.
  7. Whatever the changes to the forums some of them can't be added due to us being on the older version of xenforo however there may be changes in the future if we update.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  8. Well, there are existing solutions for this.

First you have the watched threads, you can find this option in the menu bar above or if you open the 'profile menu' (hover your mouse over your name (upper right) to view)). This will list all the threads you're watching which have new contents. Just in case: a watched thread is a thread you responded to or where you have clicked the "watch" option in the upper right corner of the thread.

Then there's also the option What's new?, this lists all the new threads / messages which have been posted since your last visit. This link can also be found in the menu above.

I think you'll have much better results if you rely on those than the recent threads box.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  9. +9001
    Just make it optional.
    FadedMartian and We3_MPO like this.
  10. In other news, just a suggestion to add more subreddits. Nah, there is already enough. I really don't want sort out threads.
    FadedMartian and We3_MPO like this.
  11. 607 and We3_MPO like this.