[Suggestion] Military Time

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ultipig, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Thanks.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. Perhaps if this mod updates you could ask for it to be approved. It adds a real-time clock to your screen. You could also ask the author to add a 2nd clock for server time. The second bit would be harder as he would need to adjust for daylight saving time whereas at the moment it probably just reads the computer's clock.
    ItsMeWolffpack, Kytula, 607 and 2 others like this.
  3. To be honest I'm not sure about this one. Don't get me wrong: coming from the Netherlands myself I'd also like 24 hours and having an in-game clock might also be useful. But here's the thing... Right now the whole thing (game & forum) "match".

The forum also uses AM/PM and I don't think we can change that ourselves. In fact, I just verified this on a newer Xenforo version (FreeBSD forums) and they're using the same time format. And I'm not too sure that using 24hrs in-game and AM/PM on the forums would be very helpful. I think it could only make things even more confusing.

So although I do like your idea, I think that if they would change this then they should change it everywhere. Both in-game as well as the forums.

btw: am I the only one who noticed a real time clock on http://events.emc.gs/? That out helped me out plenty of times to determine EMC time (even though it's merely a 6 hour time difference).
  4. Mostly unrelated but the American dating on that calendar is driving me nuts.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. I think I'm hoping for that to never happen, just to be safe... and I think there's actually a reasonable chance it indeed won't.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  6. We're an American server. Our week starts on Sunday =P
    NuclearBobomb likes this.
  7. Why wouldn't you want it to update though?
    I was referring to the way the date is written :p

Like 1/9, instead 9/1 for 9th January.
  8. Because there are some features standard in newer versions, which I don't like and which I'm afraid might get implemented.
    Being able to like comments on profile posts, for example.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  9. But that's one of the most requested features here :rolleyes:
  10. most places and people in the US. put the month before the day and then the year.
    its even taught to do it this way in schools here

11. Relevant.
  12. Yeah. It doesn't make much sense though.
    Although I suppose it's much better than the counting system for 13-98 in Dutch and German...
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  13. *15-99
    But good grief has that ruined my ability of saying numbers. After learning English, which does it the correct way (e.g. fifty-eight), rather than the wrong way (e.g. dutch; achtenvijftig --> eight and fifty), I now always have to think before saying numbers, and I and up doing it wrong half of the times anyways...

More on topic though, though I personally very much prefer military time, I think it would be better to keep the AM PM system on EMC, as that is what most people who play here understand. Though I'd love for everyone to use military time, I think confusions will arise if people start using both. Therefore I think it'd be better for EMC to keep using the (in some ways very illogical :p) AM PM system.

As for showing your own time in /time, are there really that many people who hide there taskbars while playing on EMC? If so, then I guess it would be useful to see your own time in /time. But, in the mean time, for those players, isn't it just as easy to just check your phone, watch, clock, or to press F11 twice?

(this post is probably a little tiny bit biased. Oops. :p)
    607 likes this.
  14. Of course. My issue is with how dumb it looks and that it's confusing to everyone who lives outside of the US.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  15. Only thing I have to point out here is that he American system makes sense to Americans because we grew up learning them, we can't just switch over at any time, I have no idea what 30 degrees Celsius means but if you tell me it's 76 degrees, I know exactly how that feels
  16. Yep, I'm American and generally with anything science/computer related I use Celsius, but anything with temperatures outside, or any temperatures within the 1-100 range I generally use imperial, mostly because I know how it "feels".