[Suggestion] Make auctions more fair: disallow greenies to auction items

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ShelLuser, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Hi gang,

Last post for the evening and it is a controversial one I suppose, this is in reaction to the recent auction changes.

Suggestion, for the sake of fair play: disallow greenies to auction off items.

Reasoning: they stand out in the auctions due to their green name and their title which ensures that their auctions will get more attention than those of regular players. Which I think is plain out unfair now that we're no longer allowed to bump our auctions to stand out. If we're not allowed to stand out then the same should apply to greenies. Surely they can use an alt of some sort?

This is not just something I made up to be "that guy", just look at the past records. I've even seen auction(s?) held by staff which actually violated the forum rules and no one seemed to care ('convenient' (in all fairness: those I noticed did got fixed at the end of the auction, which is actually something I actually strongly endorse: if possible fix it afterwards or in between, don't mindlessly stop the entire auction. Just too bad that regular players don't always get that same kind of courtesy)).

If you want fair play then I think you should see it all through, not just the convenient parts.
  2. oof x2
    FunWart likes this.
  3. Going to have to drop a quantity representing one less than zero.

If a policy such as this were to be implemented, to make things 100% fair would mean to make auctions anonymous. Some of the most popular players aren't staff, and their auctions get snapped up quickly as well.

Besides, staff members are still players, and they still need a source of income as well.
    weeh likes this.
  4. i say our usernames should be changed to a rainbow to help this issue
  5. it would be pretty
  6. If you mean moderators, this is not going to happen. They are players just like you and all the others. They have no creative mode and earn every block they own. If we blocked them from the auctions that would be restricting their economic involvement, which only occurs for staff with creative access.

Your reasoning is founded on the issue with fame of a staff member. Not all staff member posts are reacted to in the same way. In fact, I'd wager that a personalized signed and one of a kind book auction from Kephras would likely be more active than any staff's auction could. It's not about the color of a name. It's about their reputation on the server, which they've earned and they have every right to, just as you or any other non-creative player.

So to summarize, this suggestion is denied fully.
    weeh, MoreMoople, ThaKloned and 2 others like this.