[suggestion] Have groups work between multiple servers

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by TomvanWijnen, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This was suggested in a previous thread, but I think it deserves its own thread:

Groups (/group) currently only work on one server at a time. Since multi server chat was added, I think it would be a good addition to support multi server groups as well. This would make working on multiple servers with more people easier (convenient chatting), and also allows for discussion with more people that are not on the same server as you.

Any thoughts? :)

Thanks!
    KatydidBuild and 607 like this.
  2. I've mostly used group chat during events, for which you'll be on the same server anyway, but if you're simply chatting with friends while minding your own business, this would be very nice! And indeed it would also be quite useful for cross-server collaboration, although I'm not sure what kind of projects to picture that would need that.
    But is it even possible to /tell someone on another server yet?
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  3. Yes! :D

For example, working together on one server, and then collecting some materials from another server. Staying in your group chat would be convenient so you can ask things like "how much should I get" and keep up with what the others are saying. :)

For events it could also be convenient, because if for some reason you have to go to another server quickly, you can still keep up with the chat. :)

:D with that, it could also help keep possibly unwanted topics out of the main chat, as now they either have to go there, or can't be talked about if not everyone is on the same server. :)
    607 likes this.
  4. Okay, so I had an extensive conversation with Aikar and chickeneer about this yesterday. Unfortunately, due to the way groups are coded CURRENTLY, it's not really possible to just flip a switch and turn the global functionality on. HOWEVER, they are going to look at 'refactoring groups' and making this a thing. So it's on their list...

Closing this thread because this is the last post someone needs to see to understand status and I don't want to repeat myself 100x times.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.