[Suggestion] Give us feedback about why we did not get picked for staff

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by belac555, Oct 17, 2019.

1. I know that when applying for staff we answer some questions and give out some info about ourselves but I think that it would be nice for players to know what they need to improve or what is stopping them from getting picked for staff so that way they can improve that or change it.

Thoughts?
  2. +1
    Been saying this forever. It's not an uncommon courtesy in the professional world and at the very worst, players will know how to improve themselves.
    I see the counterargument that players might try to argue or persuade, but that should be negligible to ignore/deal with.
  3. I think the main argument is not that players might try to argue or persuade, but that Krysyy doesn't send out a new staff application every time the team is looking for new staff members. Sometimes old applications are looked through, and someone is invited who previously wasn't. A full on 'rejection' would make this a less viable strategy.
    I'm not sure how good of an argument that is, personally, but I wanted to bring it up. :) I'm not sure what I think on the matter myself, to be honest. I don't think it seems useful to me, but I haven't ever considered applying for more than a few minutes, so what do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Jelle68 likes this.
  4. I also think that this might solve the problem with not having enough staff. If players know what to fix then they might be better applicants later on down the line. Just saying we might get back to you and then never getting a reason doesn't make sense
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  5. It wouldn't be a total rejection per se. It would be more like
    This is the area that isn't up to standards of our mods if you can fix this then you have a much higher chance of getting selected
  6. Actually, you just reminded me of one of the reasons. Krysyy said that they will sit on good applications for a while until they feel the need to hire them. I also think that's kind of flawed, ngl, no hiring process in the world works like that for a reason.
    607 likes this.
  7. That makes no sense if you don't want to hire them at the moment have people stop applying. If they are a good applicant they deserve to be accepted
  8. I like the combination of these posts, as although I do not have personal experience with applying for jobs, I don't think most employers just accept all good applications they receive. :p I could be wrong, but I think that very often there is a fixed amount of positions to fill.
    However, in the case of EMC, this doesn't seem to be the case. Actually, although I'm pretty sure (and Extendingskys seems to remember it too) this was an argument brought up by Krysyy multiple times, this recent post suggests otherwise.
    In that case, yes, these applicants could receive feedback, and the applications would not have to be reconsidered later (of course, the applicants could be reconsidered, as they are invited to reapply when a new staff application form is published).
  9. We simply have too many applications to do this, and our notes would not really be great to help players actually change. If a player cannot evaluate themselves and figure out what part of their own action is not moderator-like, then that is a problem in itself and a matter of great concern. I don't watch what staff do 24/7. Yes, I look into problems if they are reported to me, but overall I expect the moderators to be able to tell what is proper and improper conduct.

On the application, we give a very detailed list of what we are looking for. MOST applications that come through are absolutely no where near acceptable candidates. Then we have some that look great on paper, but when we proceed to the 'stalking' phase of the process, they fail. I can't really tell the person "well, you were almost staff, but then I saw you treat that new player like a pile of cowdung and decided you don't actually walk the way you talk'". That would result in more issues than I can even imagine, based on the previous apps I've looked at.
  10. We sit on good applications that we consider borderline and WATCH the player for signs to proceed, or not. Attitude in major crisis posts, etc can tip that scale. Lack of activity as well. This is what I mean by sitting on an application. I don't sit on applications from candidates I am 100% good to go on.
    Jelle68, Extendingskys and 607 like this.
  11. Ahh ok that makes sense. But I do think that if a player thinks that they are great on all of the requirements then having 0 feedback whatsoever is a bad thing. They may think oh they didn't see it and apply again and after that they may think that they weren't accepted for other reasons and never apply again
  12. It's a double-edged sword because it's not a 'persuade me for you to be staff'. Some players can handle the honest truth and some would freak out at me. More often than not, the latter based on applications received. I have had detailed conversations with players about what MAY be holding them back, but that's only when they asked very specific questions that I could fully answer without offending anyone...
    jacob5089, Extendingskys and 607 like this.