[Suggestion] Friend System Expansion

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by PenguinDJ, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Disclaimer: I know expansions to the friend system are planned. Please do not murder me for doing this. I would not appreciate that.

Yay for friends! First of all: amazing update. I can't wait to see what's planned in the future. For the suggestion: even though expansions to the friend system are planned, I thought I'd suggest a few more myself.

Clicking on pending request gives option to decline
    Currently, when you get a friend request you only have the option to accept it through clicking on it. The command to deny isn't even listed. So, instead of just having the option to accept, as shown below;

Instead, I suggest a layout where the friend line is replaced by an option to accept and to deny, similar to this;

1: PenguinDJ [Pending] - [Accept] [Deny]

Clicking accept or deny will lead to a confirm screen for the option chosen.

Typing confirm/deny command bypasses confirmation screen
    I propose typing the command /friend confirm PenguinDJ or /friend deny PenguinDJ bypass the chest confirmation that comes up when clicking on Accept or Deny from the friends screen.

Basically you know what you're typing. A player confusing confirm and deny is very rare. A misclick is easier, which is why I understand the confirmation screen there; I just can't see it's practicality when the player is using the command instead.

Player Setting: Optional chest UI
    I completely stole this one from Mineplex's friend system. Fair warning before one of you calls me out for it. I'll suggest my own changes, but the basic concept is the same: chest/visual systems are better at managing large amounts of friends.

All friends are listed as skulls. The player's skull is shown if they're online; a skeleton skull is shown if they're offline, which I really like. Pending requests (sent and received) are shown by clicking on the flower. Friends can be removed by clicking on the TNT. Friend requests can be made by clicking the book, and the sign does something I'm not exactly sure of.

Summon your friends!
    Probably less evil than it sounds. Doing /friend summon PenguinDJ will summon a friend to your server, letting them know you'd like to talk to and/or bother them. This would have to be accepted, of course. The summoner would receive a confirmation message once the command is sent:

Summoned PenguinDJ to your server!

For the player being summoned, a message would appear in chat letting them know that they have been summoned;

You've been summoned to SMP5 by RainbowChin!
    --ยป Use /friend summon accept to be teleported

Switching servers with the bungee command works, but doing the command suggested, /friend summon accept, would automatically teleport a player to their friend's server. Basically, this makes it easier to let your friends know you want to talk to them.

Friend list shows online status
    Show a friend's online status in the friend list, and distinguish between online and offline by colors. In other words, put a check or an x next to their name to show online or offline status. Hovering over a friend's name will show you their server, if they're online, and previously seen info if offline; basically, whatever you see in the online status section of /p. My version of the friends list would look like this:

=== Friends List (5 friends - PG: 1/1) ===
    --1: Aikar
    --2: Krysyy
    --3: Maxarias
    --4: ItsDwightKnight
    --5: Squidsimx

Hovering over Pending shows sender
    Make hovering over the [PENDING] in the friends list show either Sent or Received, depending on who sent the request. Makes it easier to distinguish between sent and received.

Hide outgoing requests from showing upon join
    All pending friend requests are shown in the join message, even ones you send. Whether you send two or receive two, your login screen will appear as shown;

This system works well for received friend requests, but should be hidden when the requests were sent from the player receiving the message. Also, the second line should probably be indented a bit, like most other messages.

Friend settings menu
    Have a subset of the player settings menu specifically for friends. Basically identical to the existing player settings, except with different options. Will work with existing commands and can also help with some other suggestions here. This would be accessed through /friend settings or though the existing player settings menu.

Option to hide friend joins
    This could be a little annoying to some players, so have a player setting or /friend settings, if we want to keep the player settings options to a minimum. There's already an option for hiding your own login messages.
    -
    -
    I wanted to think of some more but I just don't have the time. I want to get this out before the weekend. I'll probably edit this post at some point, though. Anyway, let me know what you think.

~Penguin
  2. +1, I like the new online part the best
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  3. I like it :)
    BlinkyBinky and PenguinDJ like this.
  4. +1 I like.

Would also be cool if you could still talk to those on your friends list when chat is off or when in DND, etc.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  5. +1 to all of them!, except the chest UI but I guess that can be an optional player setting (I don't really like chest UI's -personal preference :p)
    PenguinDJ and SoulPunisher like this.
  6. +1
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  7. Yeah, the whole "Click to accept" when I hovered over it threw me off. I was there for 1 minute trying to figure out how to decline w/o doing the command. I eventually gave in and clicked it. Only then did I realize that I could decline it from there. :/

+1
    PenguinDJ and 607 like this.
  8. Really good suggestions, it's nice to see some of the possibilities with this system! :)
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  9. Personally I dislike that because I go into DND when I don't want to talk to anyone, even friends. Just my preference. :)
    I knew some people wouldn't like a chest UI which is why I included it as an optional player setting.
    Deadmaster98 and ThaKloned like this.
  10. +1

I like the summon feature! Also the chest thing, I think there should be a button ( wooden or stone ) you click to summon a friend.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  11. +111
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  12. I really like the summon idea. I'm to lazy to go get my friends :p
    NebulaBen, PenguinDJ and Deadmaster98 like this.
  13. I think Click to Confirm is because Aikar is running the same code for both the typed command and the /ps interface. I'm sure he'll refine the system as we go.

I tried adding someone last night who had already added me and got a message telling me that I had already been invited to be their friend. Then I had to type accept. I think it would have been better to automatically treat my add command as an accept command or treat it like they had immediately accepted my invitation.
    PenguinDJ, Deadmaster98 and 607 like this.
  14. Added three new suggestions to the bottom of the OP. They're also written here;

Hide outgoing requests from showing upon join
    All pending friend requests are shown in the join message, even ones you send. Whether you send two or receive two, your login screen will appear as shown;

This system works well for received friend requests, but should be hidden when the requests were sent from the player receiving the message. Also, the second line should probably be indented a bit, like most other messages.

Friend settings menu
    Have a subset of the player settings menu specifically for friends. Basically identical to the existing player settings, except with different options. Will work with existing commands and can also help with some other suggestions here. This would be accessed through /friend settings or though the existing player settings menu.

Option to hide friend joins
    This could be a little annoying to some players, so have a player setting or /friend settings, if we want to keep the player settings options to a minimum. There's already an option for hiding your own login messages.
    607 and NebulaBen like this.
  15. Wut
  16. What?
  17. Whyd you say nothin
  18. It was a bump...