[SUGGESTION] Flavor Texts

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Kephras, Feb 24, 2014.

1. I might add it could be cool if each player were to write a short entry and have it drop upon death with a VERY rare drop rate, only obtainable in PVP arenas could be fun to collect other people's stories.
    607 likes this.
  2. So we're taking Lord Pyre as canon now, eh? ;)
    Pab10S likes this.
  3. I am literally going to start writing little books now
    *extension to the idea*
    a randomization filter that turns some bits of text into gibberish (not obfuscated, that's weird if it's really a book or something) like maybe 75reee4dijrrrrrrrrrr or something, like if it's a mob like a netherhound, Momentus, zamby, etc
    (also, would ghasts drop anything like this? they don't really "eat" anything, just blow it up with mouth bullets)
  4. Want to jump in on this first mention of the word. I personally think... there should be a couple of random ones.. but.. I would LOVE to see some start to fall into a canon.. a story that told of EMC past. Not just a vague mentioning.. but there could multiple entries that have multiple authors, that all talk about some massive event, like a huge battle.

A good example would be picking up a journal entry that mentioned Lord Pyre, but not written by him. Then, we could even come across a 'Burnt History Text : Chapter 8' that mentions the rain of Lord Pyre. Then a note that was delivered back and forth between Lord Pyre and yet another character who has his/her own tree of events!

I think having something that players could just be like.. collect and learn.. would be amazing. A whole background canon, not just vague pokes at one. But a true 'environment' that we continue to expand upon. My ultimate joy from this, would be seeing a strong COMMUNITY created background of EMC, that we could base further updates off of!
    Imagine there being lore on an item, directly related to a story you wrote!?

'Lord Pyre's Spear'
    -Still stained with the blood of his foes

and then.. each of those items, could have its own reason for existing! If Lord Pyre had a weapon, what battles did he use it in? Where did the weapon travel from its from previous owner? Was it created for Lord Pyre? Or is it a mythical item he himself discovered across his own quests!

If it is not obvious.. this kind of stuff excites me.

I feel like communities like this, are the best creators when it comes to things like this. Simple things like this is how we take 'Minecraft' and make it 'EMC's Minecraft', and know it will always be ours.
    cddm95ace, penfoldex, Kephras and 2 others like this.
  5. This sounds awesome. I want to write one that outlines the travels of a seafaring captain, and leave vague clues hidden through out the corresponding lore leading to hidden booty :cool: ARRRRRRRRR!
  6. This. This. this-thi-this is amzing.
    it's so amazing i forgot to put an A there ^
    we could have a section of the forum for story ideas or something, with people saying weather they love the idea, that sort of thing :D:D:D:D:D

one problem i do have with this is that i know a lot of people are concerned about EMC becoming too much of an RPG, but still doe, dis is cool
  7. Like I said in the 'EMC CAN NOT BECOME AN RPG' thread...

All of this, is just on the side. Its not required. It offers a new level of gameplay for people who are attracted to it. We will not get rid of what we already have, but that does not mean we can not expand.
    Pab10S likes this.
  8. okee

Just Wrote Part one of "Lord Hasla - Origins"!
    it spans 3 days, from Jan 13, 1314 to Jan 16, 1314.
    PART ONE
    The ink has been charred, it is hard to read...

Jan 13, 1314

Ahhh, Sweet victory. When one man falls, another shall take his place, and after the “unfortunate death” of King Laus, I have taken his place. Now to make this place a little more suited to me…

Jan 14, 1314

I love this new decor. I sold King Laus’s gold chair. That’s 30,000 Rupees right there. I replaced it with Sir Cas and Sir Bedavese’s Bones. Ahh, that’s comfy…
    Anyway, I think that gold helmet should be replaced with the Skull of the guy who wore it.

Jan 15, 1314

Ok, so Anastasia told me that that King Laus actually never wore that helmet. Crap. I already dug up his corpse and stuck the skull on the wall. She tells me it was worn by King Laus’s Great Great Grandfather during the recapture of Utopia. He was buried 5000 Blocks from here. I’ll go check out the tomb, maybe i’ll be able to get his skull. Wish me luck!

Jan 16, 1314

I just killed Anastasia. It turns out that helmet NEVER ACTUALLY WENT INTO BATTLE. WHAT THE HELL ANASTASIA. Anna told me, and the Duke of EssEmPee Two confirmed that. If you ever want to see, Anastasia’s skull is the one holding the candle on the left on the mantlepiece.

END OF PART ONE
  9. This reminds me of Dark Souls' lore. I like it. Not really sure how quality assurance on this would work, though, and I'd hope you can assign rarity to specific books.

Would be pretty silly if everyone and their mother had a specific tome that should naturally only exist once. Maybe take books out of the loot pool after a certain number have been dropped? I doubt that would be efficient for the server.
  10. Alas, the downfall of the MMO, every player has the option to obtain my mission obtained item, because that mission, is available to every player.

Though, we could do things that most MMO's do, have 'Events' or certain time periods where a new loot pool is added, and then taken away. Like, a special month or week where Enraged Zombies, only spawned by momentus, have a small chance of dropping items from a special storyline. All cookie crumps that lead to a 'special event' where you can retrieve a special item.
  11. I would be honored to help contribute to something like that. In the interest of full disclosure however, I feel the need to state that "Lord Pyre" is a character from a Minecraft-based short film I'd been considering. The script hasn't been finished yet, but I'll share what I have so far.
    Point being, I was pulling the name from memory as a throw-away, I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to make it official. ;)

Attached Files:

607 likes this.
  12. and every cow(jeremy included)
  13. This is awesome. Now if I could just actually write something. When I was doing Valentines, I would open the book and my mind go blank. :I also currently the only way I have found to make multiples of one book, is to copy-paste line for line into a book in game from wordpad.
  14. Make a Book & Quill, then place your written (signed) book in the craft space along with the unsigned B&Q. Result is 2x signed books. 1.7 allows book cloning now, in the same manner as maps. :)
    607 likes this.
  15. Welp. I learn something new everyday. Guess I really missed a lot being gone those few months. Thanks Keph!
    princebee likes this.
  16. *change of name*
  17. and 1.8 changes it to differentiate between the original(isnt consumed in the crafting anymore) and the copies :) so now you can has editions
  18. My god…one of my biggest dreams right here. That would be amazing. Perhaps we can include some regular minecraft items, like the mystery of the music discs and why they come into existence when skeletons kill creepers, or what the nether portal really is! So many ideas…

And Kephras, the idea of tying them in with wild outposts…that would be fantastic. More reason for people to join the outpost and thus there could be mobs that are servants of certain overlords trying to defeat certain outposts.

I love this idea.
    Kephras likes this.
  19. I never meant for it to official. Sorry about that, that was simply me using the example already in rotation :p.
    607 likes this.
  20. SMP2: "Oriba Ruins" - The site of one of my Treasure Hunt locations. When I arrived on-site to place the treasure chest, I found a single villager alive, wandering the NPC structures. Sadly, I arrived at dusk and he was dead before I could reach him, thus inspiring the journal entry and story for that particular location.
    Oriba.png
    lameidl, 607, NetherWorld666 and 2 others like this.