[Suggestion] EMC Bill of Rights

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Windylava, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Should EMC have a Bill of rights for the EMC members

Yes 46 vote(s) 26.0%
No 131 vote(s) 74.0%
  1. How do you leave a discussion that you don't want to be part of any more?
    What is easier than clicking "Unwatch Thread"?

??

You're not alone.

Conservative - to keep things as they are, to oppose change, to fear that change could bring more disavantages than advantages.
    Closed - secretive, authoritarian mindset. Compare to military.

Yes, conservative and closed does not fit my ideals, but I'm not alone.
    I guess at least 20% of EMC members would agree here. Where I live and in Europe generally there are around 75% who generally support open approach, much more among people with higher formal education, much less between those with less than high school diploma.
    Don't think that this is about directly comparing RL politics to EMC.
    It is about idea of a community, mindset, about how people treat other people in a community, about understanding of human psychology and sociology.

Note that OP mentions "American Principles" (whatever that really is) and how someone else says that "cyber USA, [...] would not be a happy place". This is a clash of mindsets.

I did use "conservative" and "closed" vs. "open" - not perfect but I thought close enough.

What would you call this two poles or two streams in the EMC community?

Yes, and this is the mentioned "drama". Calling out, confrontation, tension.
    I do think it is necessary in a life of an alive community.

See above. Discussion that is not cold and free of emotions.
    Among that, what is meant in context of this thread, is particularly the "drama" that often arises when someone tells the EMC staff that they are doing something less than good or even wrong.

Of course - that's obviously not what mentioned "drama" or this thread is about.

Yes, it can.
    But when it does that - what does that mean?
    Isn't that at least a kind of capitulation, dissolving or even negating the community?

I could not and I would not censure that, but from all of my knowledge and experience, I can only say: Don't go there.

For all that say "but this is just a game":
    Minecraft is just a game, but an online community is RL.

For all pointing to the poll in this thread:
    being in majority never means that you shouldn't respect the minority, especially a significant minority.

Thank you for your effort and expressing of beliefs.
    Zrugite likes this.
  2. This is the only thread I've ever seen to have over 100 no-s in a poll.
    Kephras, ButterBites, Walrice and 6 others like this.
  3. If you consider the audience it isn't huge at all or that it means they support something radical being done. It more likely means they have NO IDEA what this would not only take to be done but neither that it is, indeed radical, might effect how they want to play the game themselves or interact with the community, have no world experience or think that because they learned about a "good" bill of rights in school that it must be a good thing. to touch the last point, not realizing that the whole reason that collection of documents exist is because they are CHANGES to a fundamentally flawed document. Emc is not fundementally flawed. I don't think of myself as a part of the EMC community and don't want to and know that there are many others just like me. Doesn't mean that I will refuse to interact, be antagonistic to the idea of such or whatever but I don't want that "community" bullying PLAYERS like myself into playing their way or partaking in political tornadoes that would probably just ultimately get shelved after it was made obvious what a liabilty to the server it could... no WOULD be.

Edit: I don't think it was rude but it was unnecessary and kinda silly to say stop talking before unwatching the thread. If you unwatch the thread everyone could stop posting and you would never even know...

second edit!!!! and you didn't and you still watch so don't tell anyone to stop talking or stop liking my comments so that I don't know if you stopped or not... I think you are just trying to aggravate :p
  4. Or little idea etc. I agree, but you can also enumerate a set of reasons why people would choose no and not really have an idea what that means, and why.
    So while the poll isn't really representative and we can't really attach any specific meaning to this percentages, I think it is clear that there are few distinguished standpoints ("accumulation points") in this discussion and that neither of them is a small minority that can be neglected. Individual opinions are somewhere in between.

A) "user group": We're just users of the service called "EMC" who play together and happen to chat and discuss in the forum. Some may have some sense of community, but that's just between some online playmates and friends. Quote: "EMC is a private party and they can do with us whatever the heck they like."
    There is a "Community Manager", but it is really a "Customer Relation Manager" accountable to the service owner. So, not really a community.

B) "closed community": EMC is a community, with secretive, authoritative "staff" which ultimately decides about the life of the community. (Note that what is relevant here is not how the server is run, but only the decisions about community life, like closing of threads for "drama" and similar.) The majority of members support this and wish that not to change. Central quote: "you need to learn to trust staff".

C) development towards an "open community": EMC is a community that changes towards an open community and there is a significant minority of members who support this development and wish for it to continue. It seems that this minority grows with the maturity of the server and its members.
    Quotes: "bill of rights", "american principles", "you need to learn to trust the community"

You're thinking too far there.
    Becoming a more open community does not mean turning EMC inside out and into a community-run server where the community votes all staff and decides about everything.
    It just means more openness, better mission statement, better formulated rules, a (small) "bill" or description of members' rights in the community, and few other missing bits to make it really a strong and living community. For some examples of what it could be see "True changes" above.

BTW, a true "Community Manager", by definition, is accountable to the community and manages for the community. Only a community can be boss of a "Community Manager". A true "Community Manager" would never say "we have decided", but always "the community has decided ..." - and would make polls and make sure that the interests of the community are respected. If the majority of the community really likes things as they are, that would be easily verifiable in polls and calls for comments and ideas. Not having that shows ... what?
  5. I've been keeping an eye on this thread since it was made, but I still haven't voted. Really, I feel like I'm in the middle and am courious to see what comes out of it. I can't say whether it would be good or not, because I still don't know exactly what we are getting out of this.

Before anyone goes on a long rant about "we already talked about this," or "freedom and rights," and whatever I'll remind you I've already read all posts on this thread, and I don't need it repeated for the 50th time.

I'm not trying to say this is a bad idea. I'm saying I'll make the decision once we have a good draft that not only Kryssy approves, but the whole community approves.

I'm normally a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of person, but I'm aware that some of you are really passionate about this. This is why I'd prefer to stay in the middle. It's actually cool to see how many people care so much about EMC's community. This is why I like it here.

P.S. I know it may seem mean that I said don't reiterate what you've already said, but it's true. Half of the posts in this thread say almost the exact same thing, maybe with something added this time. So, if you are going to comment on me, please make it something I haven't read before. It keeps it interesting.
    M4ster_M1ner and Acemox2k like this.
  6. This hasn't been posted.

True Facts : A Donkey will sink in quicksand, but a mule won't. Also - in English - Four is the only number to have the same amount of letters as its' value.

This has been my contribution for this thread.
  7. You would relate this server to the military? Hahahahahahahaha...... oh, you were serious? lol I AM a veteran, and so are other members, and not once have I seen this place operate like the military. I cant speak for other service members though. I dont see this place standing still except when there is a filibuster like tactic. Aikar works non-stop on improvements and staff are always active and involved, either in business or playing in game.

Mr. Kotter....Your obviously a bright lad, watch a few episodes on u tube and you will get it. I am sure you Google.

As far as "Naming the two groups Poles or Streams What would I call them?" ... I would say It is US, ALL OF US. It is not a us and them situation. There is no suppression of people who choose this server, read the rules, decide to come here and act like a friendly person who is respectful of others (Things learned in kindergarten and early elementary school) and wants to play Minecraft or chat on the forums within the laid out guidelines. If you feel the need to talk about something that is outside the parameters of the EMC forum rules or the game chat the go to another forum where that subject or language is acceptable when the need arises or use private chat as has been recommended. I am not saying leave the server, I am saying you might have to change the channel/different forum to talk about different subjects and then come back for what EMC has to offer.

You saw what EMC had to offer as a server and we can make suggestions, but demands seem silly to me. Oh, and why did the poll number matter and you would reference it as a significant number and now as it continues to fall you say the numbers dont matter?

I dont demand the Chinese food place starts talking english or the manager needs to come tell me what the cooks are saying to each other when I put an order in. While I am at it, I dont see any American people here either so we need a committee to oversee my order because it is wrong most times. I think they are doing it on purpose and they are speaking another language so I dont know whats going on. I feel like I cant speak up about whats wrong or they will make my food worse. If I cause to much trouble I wont be allowed in the store. So we must change this Chinese food store, make them speak Good English for my benefit and have an American committee oversee my order to make sure they are not spiteful because I dont understand what is going on.

The way it used to be...
    I want something and no one provides it. I think I will start a business that will provide exactly the service that the market needs.

This is what is wrong with todays world and the way they think......
    I think every citizen should be able to walk into any business and demand that they change the way they operate because I think it should be different, I think it is unfair to myself and others.

Sometimes i think yesterdays entrepreneur has turned into todays protester. Its easier that way and I thought I turned off the TV and was playing Minecraft

P.S. I think Krysyy is doing great as a community manager.
    Kephras, DWmom, HxCami10 and 8 others like this.
  8. THANK YOU ^^^^^^

Honestly, the mere fact that this thread isn't closed is amazing to me.

Krysyy has already stated that adjusting the rules to better show your "rights" on a video game server.

This obscene topic needs to be let go. As I said in an earlier post, this is not the establishment of a new nation, it is a game we play. If you don't like it, go play another game or go to a different server.
    Sorry if I seem rude, but this has gone too far.
  9. Yeah, the food service doesn't work like that. That's why if I stand up and say 'there's a fly in my soup', all the other patrons tell me to shut up, and that the fly policy is fine.
  10. I agree with you 100% SSRC
  11. just because you might disagree with them, no need to tell them not to continue their discussion or be rude. if you don't want to be a part of this, just unwatch the thread and forget about it
    Gawadrolt, ShelLuser and LBoss9001 like this.
  12. The main goal of this thread was to get change right? Did krysyy not do that earlier with the rules? Because i could have sworn that she did, and on top of that, no one has said what will happen if this thread gets more "No" votes than "Yes" which, if i take a guess, will definitely happen, nor was it said anywhere how long the poll will be open for. If the numbers dont matter to you then why have a poll in the first place? Is it because the votes are not going the way you wanted them to? So many questions but no answers for them
    Blondekid42 and ShelLuser like this.
  13. Not in that way ... well that wasn't a good comparison, forget military.
    I thought kindergarten, but that's not good either.
    Not that I couldn't, but perhaps better not to compare it to anything.

I'm afraid you missed the point(s).
    It isn't about talking about something "outside the parameters of the EMC forum rules."
    It's not about a demand, even if the topic says so.
    It isn't about the poll percentages (read also Gawas posting).
    It isn't about demanding a change in EMC service or how the server is run.
  14. then what on Earth is it about? all it really is is just the rules but in pretty lawyer talk.
    AyanamiKun, Gawadrolt and Blondekid42 like this.
  15. They should stop the discussion of this idea. The majority of EMC does not want this, and why should they be ignored just because a few are worried about being "offended" by the facts? If this discussion were to continue and this were to eventually be put in place, I can guarantee you that there will be worse "rudeness" said by many players compared to "you should stop moving forward with this idea since 3/4 EMC players want nothing to do with this". This is something that will affect us all, so all of our input against it is just as valid as input for it, whether or not one side decides to label the opposition as "rude."
    Sparticals, Blondekid42 and ShelLuser like this.
  16. I disagree with the suggestion too, and I really doubt Krysyy would make this a thing since the poll and arguments show that the majority does not want it. However, they should have the right to continue their discussion, and you should have the right to disagree. Straight up bashing isn't helping anyone. I don't mean to say you can't argue, just be respectful.
    jkjkjk182, M4ster_M1ner and Gawadrolt like this.
  17. This one point stuck out to me. No matter where you are, you may be giving up a right. You've been here for a few years, so you should know what you can and can't do. For example, offensive language is not allowed on EMC. You give up the freedom of speech when you join EMC. If you can't use offensive language, no one can. It makes the whole community better (that analogy works better with the right to bear arms). :)

Also, the EMC rules can probably be the "Bill of Rights."

...and I don't even know what we can even protest against...
    607, tuqueque, jkjkjk182 and 2 others like this.
  18. You saw I replied and thought I was coming here again with a page of text and to state the obvious and call this whole thing silly, nope. I just got back from the store with more popcorn and I'm sharing, who wants nutrionless terrible snacks that have received unlimited advertising thanks to memes and a weird turn of phrase?
  19. I thought this thread was a joke but it's actually serious oh my goodness.
    Gawadrolt, SSRCMegaMall and UltiPig like this.