[Suggestion] Chinese New Year

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by SteamingFire, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Event:
    Staff put on red dragon heads, red/yellow leather armor, hold red/yellow/white banners, and do a dragon dance xD
    Scene should have a bunch of floating red lanterns encased in glass, complete with chains or something string-y for the balloon strings.
    Lots of market stalls selling various regular foods (i.e. pork, chicken, fish), flowers, dyed leather armor (mostly red), and fireworks for ridiculous prices, preferably with the price 8, 88, or 888. Don't do 8888 because 4 is bad in Chinese.
    Also may consider doing a Treasure Hunt amongst a large field of crops. Preferably high-growing crops like bamboo so that you can't see too far ahead and pick out chests with your eyes from a long distance away. The fields being made of hills may also solve this problem.

Chinese New Year is all about luck... promos:
    Golden Pig Eggs that give luck when held. When spawned, you can feed them any food. And you won't get it back xD
    - Lore: This greedy pig will eat all of your food! Maybe it will give you something in return.
    - Obtain by: Buying it for 88,888r through /shop
    Moon Cake (pie) that gives temporary luck when eaten, consumed upon use.
    - Lore: Let's celebrate another cycle of the moon.
    - Obtain by: Buying it for 888r at a market stall during the event.
    Cooked Duck (chicken) that gives temporary luck when eaten, consumed upon use.
    - Lore: Every Chinese New Year needs a duck on the table.
    - Obtain by: Buying it for 888r at a market stall during the event.
    Lucky Fireworks that give temporary luck when fired, infinite use, once every 8 hours. Firing in between these 8 hours will still fire the firework but not give luck.
    - Lore: Scare away the evil spirits and receive something in return!
    - Obtain by: /promo
    Plum Blossom (pink tulip) that gives temporary luck when right-clicked while held, infinite use, once every 8 hours.
    - Lore: This pink flower will bring good things your way.
    - Obtain by: Buying for 888r at a market stall during the event.

Also,
    Long Life Noodles (bowl of... whatever looks the most noodly, or maybe string) that gives you temporary regen, health, or immunity, infinite use, once every 8 hours.
    - Lore: The longer the noodle, the longer your life!
    - Obtain by: Trading in a DC of wheat.
    Red Envelopes (signed books) that can be redeemed for some amount of rupees (888?)
    - Lore: Someone has a gift for you!
    - Obtain by: Random drop during the dragon dance.
    Peace Apples that do nothing :D
    - Lore: An apple a day keeps the grudges away.
    - Obtain by: Random drop during the dragon dance.
    Red Lanterns that scare away phantoms when right clicked while held, infinite use, once every 8 hours.
    - Lore: Light up the darkness so that the evil knows that it does not belong here.
    - Obtain by: /promo
    Fertility Melon Seeds that when right clicked while held, spawn eight baby villagers all around you, infinite use, once every 88 hours. It's a lot of villagers.
    - Lore: Scatter the seeds and reap what you sow!
    - Obtain by: Treasure Hunt in the crop fields.
  2. What is the significance of the number 8? (curious)
  3. Added lores.
  4. 8 symbolizes prosperity and success. The reason is because of how you pronounce the word. It sounds similar to the word that means those things. It's the same reason that 4 is unlucky. A similar-sounding word means "death".
    607 likes this.
  5. Added stuff to the OP.
  6. Is there anything else that would make the implementation of this event easier?
    I never celebrate any American holidays. Chinese New Year is probably the most meaningful holiday to me. This would make me really happy :)
    UltiPig likes this.
  7. I'll say that there is a LOT involved with what you suggested. We'd probably pick or choose one/a few aspects to implement rather than the big production, depending on how close it is to another holiday. (this being Feb 1st, it is after our big holiday season and just before valentine's day)

To help me out: If you had to choose a few aspects/downsize the event, what would you prioritize?
    SkeleTin007 and 607 like this.
  8. Dragon dancing because that would be amazing.
    Releasing balloons into the air, or just having floating encased lanterns substitute as balloons in the event area.
    Red envelope trading.

So it could be a small treasure hunt area, decorated with a lot of red and gold, with a few chests to loot that give Red Envelopes. The area is also decorated with the floating lanterns. And then maaaaybe a few staff--or anyone, really--can get together and attempt to do a dragon dance :D I guess that the most social thing about Chinese New Year, besides going on a shopping spree and eating with anyone who's so much as an acquaintance until you burst, is the trading of red envelopes.

Edit: Or even a small area where we can trade red envelopes and throw firecrackers (use fireworks) would be fine.
    607 and Krysyy like this.
  9. Thanks for the feedback. It's detail like this that helps us out the most when planning and I appreciate it.
    607, UltiPig and SteamingFire like this.
  10. There could be fortune cookies as well...But they actually give fortune, or maybe luck.
  11. Fortune cookies are not Chinese, they're American. No real Chinese restaurants, festivities, or people use them.
    FadedMartian likes this.
  12. Yeah...But Americans think it is. We could also do something with the dumplings and gold. Chinese tradition includes usually put a coin in dumplings, maybe there could be a special food item that when eaten, gives gold. Or maybe it's a gold ingot that, every 24 or 48 hours, gives a golden apple effect. That sounds kinda cool, and not really op cause its time restricted.
    607 likes this.
  13. Why would I want to encourage the spread of false information?
    I can't think of anything in Minecraft that resembles a dumpling.
    I don't agree with the gold ingot-->golden apple effect. Doesn't quite relate to Chinese New Year.
  14. I like that Krysyy is considering adding in foreign holidays, but after a brief conversation in community chat, it appears that maybe we need to warm up players to foreigners first. Specifically, the idea that people of all races exist in America and that we are all welcome here. Maybe having foreign holidays will do that, though.

Also, maybe instead of it being "Chinese New Year", it can be "Lunar New Year" instead.

If the above summary of Lunar New Year might still be too much, the following may be done instead:
    1) A small room decorated with red and gold
    2) Red lanterns in the air
    3) Some areas to sit and dine, with regular food sold at Empire prices
    4) "Firecrackers" and "Red Envelopes" sold at inflated prices consisting of 8's. The red lanterns in the air and throwing the firecrackers are to scare away evil spirits, and red envelopes are meant to be traded with others.

And of course, if you're willing,
    5) Pick 3 staff/community members minimum to do a dragon dance :D One player will wear a dragon head while two others wear something dark on their heads for the dragon body and tail/end to match the dragon head. Their chest pieces and leggings can be gold or red leather armor. Custom skins may also be used. Then it's the choreography that'll be the hard part xD
    Alternatively, you could build dragons around the place, or even something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nsGa5Yx_To

2022 will be the Year of the Tiger, so might want to add in tigers, too.

P.S. I found this and it makes me happy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPuJ9zeClU
    P.P.S. Everything that I suggested is based on Chinese New Year. I'm not sure how other countries celebrate their Lunar New Year.
    sonicol and 607 like this.
  15. Wow, you thought a lot about this!
    Cool ideas. :)
  16. I think it should be celebrated how they celebrate it not how we (Americans / brits or other countries) celebrate it.

This all looks very detailed and interesting and well thought out, be good to have some variety
  17. Reminder >:)

Edit: :c