[Suggestion] Beacon Boundaries in Town

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Haerhitman, Feb 11, 2014.

1. It sounds like you have an issue with the range of the beacon buffs in town, seeing how the range the beacon leaks onto your residence...
  2. It's not the range I have an issue with, I wanted to know if it was possible to limit the buff to the edge of the residence like building is. This would be more geared towards altering the road in between not the individual residences. And since all the roads count as the same subzone I was wondering if it was possible to do.
  3. Please make up your mind whether bumping old threads is ok or not, Skydragon: http://empireminecraft.com/threads/...emory-for-java-windows-mac.20011/#post-689715

None of the threads you linked were ever addressed by staff when they were originally made that I could see. Haerhitman hitting one of those again would maybe have blipped the radar for ten minutes from the people who would have posted telling him it was an old thread before falling back into obscurity.

I've had the same problem where I am hopping around building or whatever and then fall because I was jumping without taking beacon effects into account and then got within range of one. It can be a big time waster having to climb back to where you were.

Most flags are to enable/disable events that are set off by a player action. This is a player condition that is set off by a player being within range of an item. Instead of a one time event like someone trying to open a Chest, this is constantly refreshed so the server would have to constantly be modifying the state of any players within range of the beacon based upon the Residence flags at their location. It seems like it would be pretty messy to code and may be why it has not been addressed.
  4. Seeing how one of those old threads is from me, I think it's pretty clear I'm in support of this. I don't think either a beacon owner or a neighbor should have to settle for a less than optimal set-up in this situation. I'd agree with Pab, this does sound difficult to program, but nonetheless I'd like to finally hear a staff answer since it seems to be a popular suggestion.
  5. So, um, dare I ask if you are moving it? I remember you saying it was at a temporary place and it would be moved a little when your mall was done.
  6. I moved it about a week ago, they should be a little farther away from your residence now but still affecting it. :/
    607 likes this.
  7. I'll take a look at it :D
    607, Olaf_C, ninjaboy5656 and 4 others like this.
  8. It feels so great to have a Developer
    *completely forgets about Aikar*
    607 and Ark_Warrior1 like this.
  9. Thank you oh mighty blue one :p
  10. Just to represent another arguement, and to agree with the idea of asking the person to move it:

I use 2 beacons to cover most of my 4 reses. In the future i will have more but at the moment I only have the 2 set up and it covers most of the area I control. If it was limited I would have to put a lot more resources that I don't currently have into getting the buffs in the rest of my reses.
    dresden72 likes this.
  11. Beacons I think go to 70 or 72 blocks. A normal res is 60x60 (62x62 at Y128), so there is no where on a residence which it wont affect surrounding areas
    BraxtonPH likes this.
  12. I believe they go 50 blocks.

Mine with a full pyramid and set up in one side of my 60sq res doesn't reach the far side.
    dresden72 likes this.
  13. As Braxton said, the effect is in a 50 block radius square around the beacon, and below it.
    BraxtonPH likes this.
  14. Ok peeps I'm gonna give you the scoop on this. First I'm about to go add a ticket on the dev tracker for this so it's not forgotten. Second our server is a Bukkit server and Bukkit currently does not have an "event listener" for when a players effects change. Therefore I have no way of listening for when someones effects change, then seeing if they're in town, then checking if what caused the effect was a beacon, then checking if the beacon and the player are on the same res, then canceling the event if they aren't.

With all that said. Some kind person did begin work on a beacon API. https://github.com/Bukkit/CraftBukkit/pull/997 It would be possible to pull this API into the code for Empire but only with significant effort and currently I don't even have access to the code required to do something like this.

Long story short. 1. Aikar will have to do it 2. We'd all much rather him work on things like DT first 3. It's in the tracker so it won't be forgotten 4. Empire is the best and most funnest place in all the whole world wide interwebs :D
    fishmeal, NZScruffy, ArtemisV and 7 others like this.
  15. Thanks for replying so fast :p I kind of figured it wouldn't be an easy task, but at least it's on the tracker now so it could eventually be addressed. Thanks again for letting us know what the deal is :) and yea DT definitely first :p
    PirateOfDW likes this.
  16. My favorite is #4 lol
    :p

As for thread, I don't even need to give my opinion, it's happening :D
  17. These have been suggested before, as has been stated, and have been turned down by admins, since it would take a lot of code to do and is just too much work to do.
  18. I'll be able to add the event real quick in a few days, then pirate can take it from there :) So it wont need to wait until DT.
  19. Um.
    Wut? :p
    607 likes this.
  20. I kind of bought 4 beacons and placed them in the middle of my res and right next to the road so both of my res's would get the effect, so we are going to lose this effect then? I don't agree with this suggestion.
    BraxtonPH likes this.