[Suggestion] Allow More Staff To Host BIG EMC Events

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Aliyaxoxo, Jan 9, 2017.

?

Like?

+1 6 vote(s) 37.5%
-1 10 vote(s) 62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think we should get some variation in hosts for events. I'm not talking small events like MM, I'm talking big holiday events. I think we should let some of the moderators that host some awesome events (Eviltoade, FDNY21, Hashhog are some of the main examples that come to mind. Of course ICC is one of the greatest events but he obviously isn't staff anymore.) host these big events. Get some creativity going in these events instead of just the same thing each year. Because yah sure, these staff may currently/did host awesome events, but they had to fund it themself/get donations. Just imagine, one of the intricate and well thought out Eviltoade events, with custom prizes! That would be one of the coolest things. And why shouldn't it be a thing? If they have the power to decide who gets banned, why can't they host an event? Let's get some event diversity on EMC! Feel free to give feedback below!
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  2. What makes you think they are being disallowed? And when you start having huge events every week, then people want even more. After awhile they lose their uniqueness. Plenty of people love the events we have. Sadly you can't please everyone all the time. Besides alot of these big events need to have SS+ run it because they have powers mods don't.
  3. They are not holding back.... The Moderators that host large ones are ones who gain all the stuff by themselves hence why certain ones do it. As for SS+ they can spawn and create items. Then there is the fact that they are hosted for certain things such as New Years Eve, or Special days in the year.

I think it is fine as is, as its something to look forward for.... If it was every week or even every month, it would be just way too much...
  4. Well, because it has been stated that moderators are treated mostly like regular members with a few extra powers. They're at the low end of the staff team, so they don't have all of the same powers that SS+ do.
    I don't think we should have more big events like this. They're kept to holidays and special occasions because the events are special. It's not that staff aren't allowed to host these events, it's mostly just that they decide not to.
  5. I'll just speak to the moderator end of the points raised on this post. Some of the points raised in the initial post involve events which require Senior Staff/Admin involvement and they would be better qualified than I to evaluate the points made within those areas.

While we do recognize how enjoyable these events can be, the reality is organizing the events of the caliber that is desired takes a significant amount of planning, development, organization, and money to create. In these contexts, the time and money to do all of this is taken away from the moderator's free time to tinker with projects of their own and could likely be hampered by obligations inside and outside of Empire Minecraft.

This is not to say staff do not desire to host these events, but the planning, implementation, and recovery (in the case of moderators) absorbs an enormous amount of resources and time and will likely detract from the game itself if done in frequency. The reason for this is due to the increasing possibility of relying on these events, if they become semi-frequent, to obtain rare items rather than utilizing the market and rupees gained from said market to obtain them.
  6. become a staff and make the events yourself.
    /thread
  7. I'm a little confused to be honest. But before I answer please keep in mind that I seldom participate in events, usually I'm simply much too busy. I think ThaKloned covered it quite nicely.

One problem with this (IMO) is that you're also assuming that they're actually available during that time. Now, I might be talking complete nonsense here (also see first comment about my event participation in general) but when Krysyy hosted those events I got the impression that she did so just because staff wouldn't have to. At the risk of sounding silly: "giving the staff the day off". I think that goes double during the Holiday season.

And I think she did an amazing job too. Firefloor 4 events (or close enough) in one day? So that no matter what timezone you were from you could definitely attend at least one?

I think the last Holiday season events were quite good frankly.

But that's exactly what they did. For example the event city. Sure, I agree that the concept of claiming chests is something we've seen before during Halloween, but the whole event city itself... Man, that was an awesome sight. Fun to explore, fun to mess with... I think it was very creative.

I'll even go on the record: I think it was even better than before. The first time they re-used the event area (for the 400k player event) I was left a little bit under impressed. It was fun, it was definitely nice, but it really felt like a re-run to me because most structures looked pretty much the same since the 300k event. Sometimes that was fun (meeting old friends like Bob (?) the pig who alegidly showed Aya the way to one of the chests (during the 300k event) but yah..

Yet this was definitely way different. Same goes for the Halloween event. There was definitely some good creativity at work there.

Now, at the risk of becoming a bit too critical: is this about the event, or about the prizes? ;)

But sure, they need to fund it themselves. I don't see the problem with this. But I suppose that I might approach these things different. I don't care so much about the prizes these days. In fact, when I get into an event I really like I'm more than often adding up to the prize pool myself "because I can" and because I can see how so many people besides myself are having fun. And fun is all I care for.

But most of all... I'm repeating myself: but do you know how the staff you referred to feel about this?

I don't think this is the case, but for all we know some of them might read your suggestion while thinking "oh heck, please no!" because they're having enough trouble setting something like this themselves. Not saying that this is so: but.. have you talked to them before suggesting this, simply to rule the possibility out?

I'd start there.
    crystaldragon13 and Krysyy like this.
  8. Who do you think built the halloween town and the holiday village this year? Who dedicated their time throughout those months for the big event? The entire staff team did, including Moderators.

Moderators are not meant to be daily event hosts. Sure, some do it on the side because they want to, but they are meant to be normal players with the powers to enforce rules. They aren't meant to be your entertainment.

As for custom items for these small events, no. A LOT of work goes into ensuring a delicate balance of items given away for events, apart from Aikar drop parties. Even the SS are limited as to what big items go out. The imbalance of this system causes catastrophic issues in the player market. Something staff is not meant to interfere in. Every promo and every prize item is analyzed for impact to economy before release. The variation in obtaining the items helps to maintain the balance.

As a side note, I started hosting events before I was staff. Nothing is stopping you from designing and hosting your own event, as a normal player. You can give it heads as prizes, and if you monitor release effort to win, they'll hold just as much value as one of my event heads. What matters is the effort put into it that the players will recognize and long for those bragging rights.

Tldr; Staff already host plenty of events, including Mods. No, they aren't passing out custom items, but neither do most of the SS events, including my own. Heads are valuable prizes if you understand the market well enough and organize your event well. Instead of asking for staff to run more events, how about you take a crack at it?

Tldr of the tldr; No, but feel free to realize they host and donate their time plenty enough and don't need to flood the economy with trinkets to do so.
  9. seems like forever ago but one of my favorite memories was shortly after i joined emc. justinguy had changed his player model to the ender dragon and was terrorizing the town. it was fun randomness back then. still is today but there is so much more organization now.
    crystaldragon13 and Eviltoade like this.
  10. I feel like this is a SS thing so I say no on this

11. I didn't say anywhere on my post that they needed to be more often. We just need a variety of these events.

Once again, I never said it should be more common. I actually did say specifically that it should be for the holidays, which would be New Years Eve and other "Special days in the year"

Once again, I didn't say it should be more often. And actually the mods aren't treated like regular players (in most cases). They may SAY they are but it's not true.

If they didn't want to use time hosting it as an official event, why would they use their own time AND money to host it as an unofficial event? It's actually even more of a burden to do it this way, because they have to put much more time into getting these items. I also didn't say we should make it more often than it already is.

Lol

Yah he must've been confused too seeing as he didn't understand it either.

I mean if they genuinely don't have someone there what does it matter? I didn't exactly say replace Krysyy entirely. And she's not doing anything wrong with stuff like that. I just said some variety would be pretty cool.

12. Yah but staff building an event is not a staff running an event. Because from what I am aware of the staff built Halloweentown AND the Christmas Village. And there wasn't really anything different from 400k, 300k, and Christmas, so how was it better? Of course the halloween one was awesome, I have no criticism to go for that one.

Not necessarily about the prizes, but maybe how these prizes are obtained. Because having a DP and giving away rare items is one thing, but if you have to WORK for those items, it's a whole different story. It removes the whole concept of ALTing and making millions. It makes it so that it's not a "Oh you stood in the right place at the right time" it's a "Congrats on winning the event! Take this as a reward!". I'm not saying make anymore prizes than they normally would. I'm saying make them fun to get. And no I haven't, because this suggestion is not force them to. It's allow them to.

But why does staff need to build the event?(However please do correct me if I'm wrong) Yet again, I'm not suggesting daily events. I specifically mentioned the fact that it should only be done like this if it's a holiday event. And I'm well aware heads are valuable. I've spent over 2 years in the promo business, and staff heads are always big sellers. And if I gave you access to my SP world (which will never happen), you might see some secrets. One excellent example of players doing this would be LadyJaye's 1000. She ran an AWESOME boat race, which if I can get her permission might make an appearance in my planned party. And I'm not suggesting daily events. I'm talking about BIG holiday events. Events where you already give away massive prizes. I never said they needed to "flood" the economy with rares. Because, as I said earlier, this is for the BIG Holiday events where you are already giving away these items.

But why does it need to be a SS thing? I just don't understand that.

EDIT : Not sure why that weird quote thing happened, I moved it into a google doc and split it into 2 posts because it was 13,000 characters otherwise, which is too much to put in 1 post
    ShelLuser likes this.
  13. Or you can just type '...' or 'snip' instead of quoting every word from every person :p
  14. You know that makes a good bit more sense than what I was doin... :/
    ThaKloned likes this.
  15. Evil toad almost every year hosts giant events and staff help with countless things ex halloween town and christmas village. these events take effort and the staff have to pay for it.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  16. Everything you have brought up has already been mentioned but thank you for the feedback.
  17. I'm going to go ahead on record here and explain the primary issue with this suggestion. You are suggesting that we ALLOW more staff to host big events for big holidays. That means you are making the assumption that they are currently not allowed. The Staff are more than welcome to host big events for christmas, new years, etc. All they have to do is come to me with the plans and explain how things are going to work, organizing everything well in advance to prevent unfair advantages, blind spots in rules, etc. If the event is run as a staff-held event, then they can dip into the event donation funds that we have stored up from players. With enough planning and depending on the scale of event, they are able to request a special item for a holiday type set-up. However, these tend to be extremely rare cases, as the level of planning to prevent issues of 'it wasn't fair' conversations takes weeks.

The fact here is that a LOT of the staff simply want to run events as normal players. Setting something up legitly, they put their hard work into it and get more enjoyment out of what it can become and the joy people get out of it. Running an official staff event is a LOT of work. Organizing how to make things fair, feasible, and keeping players calm if things go awry is not an easy task. The only people not allowed to host events are the Mods in Training, unless they have help. Because as everyone well knows, it takes a whole lot of patience and pre-planning so that everyone can enjoy it as much as possible. When you are on-site, no matter how many times you explain the rules, someone is going to ask a question that you already answered 5 times. Moderators aren't required to host events, so during set-ups such as the 12 days of Christmas, they play a supporting role and enjoy the excitement of each day's surprise as a normal player does, because they are just players underneath. I wouldn't take that away from them, but I'm also always open if they want to host something new (such as the RainbowDash idea).

TLDR; The suggestion is denied, because there is nothing to allow. They are already 'allowed', given plenty of planning/organization with myself involved to iron out the issues. Usually for the big events, they like to kick back and enjoy what the SS/admins put together instead.
  18. Is 1 staff member allowed to hold more than 1 type of event within the same day Krysyy? Just a curiosity I have.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  19. They can hold 20 events in one day if they can manage it, though I would likely kick them off to go sleep at some point.
  20. I agree about the difference between 300k & 400k (as mentioned above), but Christmas... How was it better, well, the whole atmosphere was different. For starters: no more enderpearls (and also no chorus fruit) allowed. This was a thing with the 300k event (I know because Aya used up a few stacks to get on top of the logo for a nice screenshot, something she did not enjoy :D) and it made the whole thing more challenging.

Also no grouptp allowed, which (in my opinion) really dives into your comment regarding alts. I know because I happen to have one (talking about GripCEO of course ;)) and if I want to get some good chests then I'll have to do whatever challenge there is two times. It sure as heck took away any concerns I have about doing an event with an alt (when I really like an event I usually bring some company, not so much to bag more prizes, but because it's what I like to do).

But also the setting. I really enjoyed climbing the tower ("not so secret entrance" which can be found), the humour which you can find here and there and of course the whole building. Santa's sled, the gift factory (?) and all that. The buildings and the challenges were quite different than those in the x00k player events.

True. But... Also don't forget that there are also plenty of players who actually enjoy these drop parties. This was made quite obvious when Krysyy did a mini-dp during the time capsule event. Not once, but twice (those magical barriers are hard to break these days :D). I stood at the side to snap some pictures (I think Aya made a run through once though ;)) and the players obviously loved it :)

But I agree that some variation on that part would be good. But... It's also something which is currently being done.

Reminds me that Aya and me need to finish the /event some more :p We still got a last chance :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.