[Suggestion] Adding "Prayer Requests" on the forums list

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by AKing707, Jan 1, 2014.

1. I see the need for this, uncomfortable situations can arise in-game when people express their emotions and share their real-life experiences on the servers, mainly because some people can relate to them and some can't. A whole "Prayer Request" forum category is a bit over the top though, the threads in that category can be seen more as a Christian-only forum denomination, not that it is that way but upon a first glance it might appear that way to someone who isn't Christian or to someone who is just browsing the forums for the first time.
    Something like an ongoing "Real Life Support Thread" might work best, just because it can prevent uncomfortable situations if someone doesn't want to see material that those posts would contain, and there would be no "leaning" to any specific religion.
  2. In my experience, I don't think people need to get into a tizzy over the word prayer. I'm a Christian (pastor) and I think a prayer thread in the forums is an amazing idea. It isn't there for offend those who don't believe or devout (evangelical) atheists, but for those Christians specifically who are asking for prayer from other fellow Christian EMC members. Instead of taking religion/belief out of the server, leave it there for those it applies to. Everyone needs strength sometimes, and if that strength comes from God, let it come from Him. If someone doesn't believe in God, they simply don't participate in the forum thread. We have rules on this server that prevents people from cussing because we have younger players. We don't look at that as a 'mark against the mature', we look at it as 'welcoming everyone'. I think this follows the same suit, and I endorse the idea for Prayer Requests. Maybe have ourselves a Christian thread with rules against argument from one religion to the next, and if requests are put in from other world religions or belief systems (benevolent), they should also be added for those who believe that certain doctrine.

That's my two-cents ^.^
  3. Despite being a Christian, I don't support this idea. I love the empire community, and find it remarkable how caring everyone is. Nevertheless, this is a Minecraft server and not associated with any religion of any sort. Even though a prayer section doesn't necessarily mean EMC is a religion server, it would still come across that way to many people. I don't mind at all people posting in the Misc. section when they need help with real life stuff, but setting aside a whole section for it just seems like it would lead to a lot of unneeded drama. It's far more helpful, in my experience, to ask for prayer/IRL help from a small group of EMC friends than just throwing it out to the whole community. EMC definitely has the capacity to be a support group of sorts, but I don't think this is the way to do it. If you're one of those people who could use prayer/support, but don't have a close group of friends, feel free to message me anytime :)
  4. This is a topic that will and has created a lot of controversy... I personally am not a Christian nor do I pray but I will support anyone with problems :)
    AKing707 and 607 like this.
  5. How could a Christian not support prayer in every single facet of their life? That perplexes me. I pray everywhere and I ask for prayer everywhere. I still uphold support for this idea, and if I'm in need of prayer I'll be sure to post it in the Misc. section of the forums for my fellow Christian EMC members.
    Choongjae and Trapper777 like this.
  6. I do support prayer in every part of my life. However, EMC revolves around more than just me. There are many members here, probably the majority, who are non-believers so I don't believe that EMC would be an appropriate place for this.
    Luckygreenbird and sonicol1 like this.
  7. I am a huge Christian and I like your idea but I don't think it would be fair for those nonreligious and it would end up offending many nonreligious types and would start many arguments. plus it would be spammed a lot and would probably deter many from joining EMC
  8. Like what Cordial_Pie said, this idea could be possible, but not with all that "pray" stuff. We need to respect other players religions and they may have different views on things, so adding the pray stuff can add huge arguments and would be ridiculous. An encouragement area to wish good luck and stuff would make more sense.
  9. Maturity goes a long way. It isn't about being fair, being fair would be allowing the right to pray with people you connect with. EMC Players who share the same belief system as you. If there were a Muslim thread, I wouldn't enter into it because I'm not a Muslim. It's the same with Christianity. I don't feel that Christianity is a religion, I feel it's a relationship with Christ.

I encourage ALL religions/beliefs to ask for their own threads. That's why we have a Misc. thread, for things APART from EMC, but WITH the players.

However, I would vote against 'Like this picture of Jesus if you love Him' posts, those drive me insane. If I get to the Pearly Gates and Jesus reminded me that I forgot to like His picture on EMC, I'll be very perturbed. ^.^
    607 likes this.
  10. Prayer threads are just fine, but I don't think it would be ok to categorize them. I think that members reaching out to each other for help is great, and really shows that we are a community. But to categorize it, that would just be unnecessary since support threads already have a home.
    mba2012, penfoldex, cddm95ace and 3 others like this.
  11. I like the encouragement area idea. Here are the main three reasons:
    1) No arguments over prayer.
    2) No arguments over religion.
    3) It would be a nice place to share emotions and possibly seek help.

I think the third reason is so important. Some people do not want to share problems and such, but a nice small area on forums can make it easier for some people to get in contact with others and get encouraged. People do get down, and need cheering up, some people are seeking help because they feel/are in trouble.
    But whatever the situation, people are there for them and they kind of want to know that, and so an encouragement area would be suitable in this case :)
    Aquazzz, 607 and Trapper777 like this.
  12. YESSS, in fact, there was a situation not to long ago with players getting down and having depression on the servers. It would be perfect to have this so we can tell them not to be so down and give them some help.
    FDNY21 likes this.
  13. OK, let's not call it prayer as prayer is immediately associated with religion.
    Similarly, official endorsement is probably a no, especially on the forums.
    However, I don't believe independently started threads would be a problem in the slightest, but they may cause a moderation issue as religion is one of those topics that humans tend to be really immature on.
    cddm95ace likes this.
  14. Having an IRL support section would be great. Don't call it "Prayer Section Thing" or whatever, that might make some people who are already upset feel left out.
    Don't make prayer taboo though.
  15. there is a place for this: http://empireminecraft.com/forums/general-minecraft-discussion.18/
    you can talk about anything in there pretty much or if your gonna go real off the wall:
    http://empireminecraft.com/forums/miscellaneous.29/

theres no need for a subcategory like this as it is only going to end up encouraging religious debate (kind of like this thread has proven)

numerous threads like the ones you are suggesting have arisen over many places and been entirely alright and had excellent response.
  16. Ah, I meant a thread within the Misc. subcategory, I wasn't pushing for an entirely new subcategory. Just that the option was there. ^.^
    607 likes this.
  17. Personally, I don't like to see any religious comments. Everyone has different beliefs, so keep the forums free of religious comments. Even signatures should not have religious stuff.
  18. First of all, that's a religious comment.
    Second of all, if someone has a bible quote or something similar on their signature, that's their choice.
    Third of all, if someone has a signature like this:

You wouldn't complain.
    AKing707 and 607 like this.
  19. people signatures are entirely theres to do whatever they wish within emc guidelines.
  20. I think it is better if a community tolerates religious threads of any sort (that fall within the rules, of course), rather than ban them due to what could happen. The staff here have done an amazing job at keeping religion a clean topic.