[suggestion] Add new /events or /calendar command...

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by mjnoe70, Oct 6, 2017.

1. I was wondering if this could be tied to the event calendar from the forums so people would have a way to see what is going on when in game.

There are many players that for one reason or another do not frequent the forums. Heck, I do and I rarely check the calendar because I can only do most things in game.

Adding a /events or /calendar would be great if it could return say 1-3 days lead time on events. It should also include player posted events if possible or allow a flag like:
    /events a (all -default)
    /events e (staff run)
    /events c (community)

NOTE: I don't think the flag is needed but some may want to know...

EG:
    /events
    10/6 8pm (s) Miner Mania
    10/7 4pm (s) Mob Arena
    10/7 5pm (c) MJNOE70 gathering on smp1 2755 <== fake event for example
    10/8 2pm (s) UHC
    10/8 5pm (s) Tree Choppers

* added one minor update, I think it may be good to show if staff or community...
  2. +1

Sounds like an interesting setup which should help plenty of players. And from a technical pov. this should be doable, considering that both the website and the game engine can both access the same databases (for example: you're able to view your rupee history from both environments).

Not something I'd use myself but I can definitely see the potential for other players.
    ChespinLover77 likes this.
  3. Good idea, but i'm 99% sure EMC won't add it because of somthing to do with their code.
  4. Considering I seem to always be forgetting the times, I think this would be an excellent addition. +1
  5. I seriously like this suggestion a lot +infinity
  6. bump, looking for more feedback, or do I need to do anything for devs to see this for final approval for future build or the final no due to any reason.
  7. I like the suggestion, but it would only be possible for events that are hosted every week with a basic readout. The calendar itself is patched in with google calendars and doesn't interact at all with EMC code. It would take quite a LOT of work to get that to incorporate into code that the game could read.
    WardleDeBoss and mjnoe70 like this.
  8. It's actually easier than it sounds..
  9. I actually made my own calender on one of my residences for events ! ^-^ that being said though its quiet a hassle fir me to change it every month so this feature wouldn't be so bad! :D
    +1
    Lockdown32 likes this.
  10. Then by all means send your idea of how it should be done code-wise. I like the suggestion, but that calendar had to be custom-scripted in to even look the way it does now.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  11. Hello Kryssyy, I am just tossing this out and as a coder (of about 30 years) I hate to suggest what I'm going to because I do not like duplication of data.

1) However, is it possible for the entries/updates when written to the google calendar also create a second table with information for the in game version that is an EMC owned table. This would allow code in game to use this alternate table.
    or
    2) Another option may be to have page tied to a table where "non-hosted every week" entries have to be maintained a second time for the community events where it could allow updates for the in game table. Like option 1 this still requires an EMC new table for use in game.

My intent is not to create to much overhead for the staff in any idea. So I'm just tossing it out as ideas on how it could be done and after the table and web page development would fall on to the event owners to maintain. This would keep it from becoming a burden on staff.

As always,I believe when possible and a good idea the staff is very willing to look in to things. When it doesn't make sense due to overhead, difficulty or other impacts they are fair to ideas even when it can't or shouldn't be done.
    WardleDeBoss and Eviltoade like this.