[Suggestion] Ability to send a ping to someone who has chat turned off,

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by finch_rocks_1, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Hey EMC,

There have been many times where you want/need to get a hold of someone but their chat is off. So this suggestion should help.

The way it would work is if someone has chat off it would come up with the same message, but if they are away, it would say, They are away with chat turned off.

But then if you wanted to ping someone that has chat off and is not away, you would have the ability to type;
    /cping player or /chatping finch_rocks

This would send a message in their chat like;
    finch_rocks Pinged you!
    Or something along those lines. But the catch is, you can only ping someone once every 1-2 hours to prevent spam.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this,

~Finch
    ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.
  2. I like your idea, but what if I don't want to be pinged? There's probably a reason why players turned the chat off in the first place in comparison to turning off an individual chat channel. Now, we could argue that a /ps setting might be helpful to specify that they don't want this, but didn't they already do that by turning the chat off?

Sorry to be a bit negative here but I can't help worry that this could still end up annoying or bothering players.

Besides: you do have an option to ping them: the forums. Although this doesn't always work, true, but generally speaking: players who can turn off their chat are usually also very well present here.

Just my 2 cents of course. And don't get me wrong: I can definitely see how this could help players. It's just that.. well, I think you also need to think about why a player did this in the first place :)
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  3. Sorry but if a player turns their chat off that tells us they don't want to be bothered. Maybe they are doing something that chat will interfere with like making a video. Making a way to bypass this is not appropriate in my opinion.
    takenID, Tuqueque, ShelLuser and 3 others like this.
  4. I agree with the above opinions. The do-not-disturb command doesn't mean do-not-disturb-except-for-ping. :p
    ThaKloned likes this.
  5. As I have been informed, people do not like to be "contacted" when they turn off chat.
    While I do accept that *Staff* should be allowed to "contact" said players, that ability shall only be limited to them.

Now, this course of action is my personal preference: Send them a rupee.
    They get paid, You get their attention, and there is the "slight" chance that they reply.
    Giselbaer, ShelLuser and jkjkjk182 like this.
  6. I dont know about other, but when I turn off my chat to not get bothered i do it completely on the launcher (pause--> settings-->multiplayer settings(or chat settings)--> chat off, so the ping would not make sense since i wont see it either way
    UltiPig and ShelLuser like this.
  7. I have a friend who also has chat client off. So to get his attention I pay him 1r cause that will show in chat regardless of ch off or on. Works fine everytime. :)
  8. but that only works if transactions are on.
  9. it will display regardless as it is not a shop transaction but a player payment.
  10. What about mailing a book that isn't signed just says turn chat on. Assuming they see they got mail.