[SUGGESTION] A few ideas for the /games SMP

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by We3_MPO, Apr 15, 2018.

1. I think more people would probably play UHC if it was on /games than as a separate server like it was before being removed, and I feel like I'm probably one of those "more people". I'm not an expert on this part, but I feel like it might be easier for the EMC staff to run too.

I'd also like it if the /games SMP had a few survival games maps (which should be open 24/7), but of course, this is just a suggestion. I'd suggest the following map types:
    • Desert/savanna/lowland mesa surrounded by savanna M on all sides, or else a mesa plateau that is impossible to climb (or both in different places)
    • Tropical island(s) (maybe a jungle biome for the tropical island(s) and warm ocean coral reefs (in 1.13) for the surrounding ocean)
    • Plains/forest/land swamp surrounded by extreme hills/aquatic swamp
    • Archipelago in an ocean (not frozen ocean as that'd be OP)
    • Metropolis surrounded by a huge wall that is impossible to climb
    • Nether-type island surrounded by a lava sea
    I know these might be somewhat controversial of ideas, and I can also understand if they can't or won't be implemented, but I feel like I would probably play them if they could be implemented on the /games SMP since it'd still be on EMC (I don't play on any other servers and don't even want to). I doubt I'm even the only one who feels this way, but of course I cannot speak for others. I also understand that even if they are implemented, the latter might be kind of hard on the build team, so if the latter idea can be implemented but the build team is busy or opposes it (or even just doesn't want to), I would even be willing to design and suggest the maps myself.

-We3

Remember, even if this is a controversial idea, please be nice about it when commenting. Drama is not tolerated here on EMC whatsoever, and if necessary, it may be reported by witnesses and/or moderated by staff. Also remember that no server advertising is allowed here on EMC (even I was extremely careful about my phrasing so it hopefully won't be taken as such), which is also strictly reported/moderated.
  2. I like this but at the same time I am in the neutral zone so +0
    We3_MPO likes this.
  3. sounds like a great idea
    We3_MPO likes this.
  4. I understand. I was reluctant to suggest it, but ultimately decided to.
    OriginalScuf likes this.
  5. +1

I like custom events like this (UHC) because it is basically "taking a break" from EMC but not really because you are in EMC still.

I also like your ideas of custom made themed maps for these events. Just that, they could not be premade(at least for UHC) because then people would memorize hotspots of resources. Maybe for other events, (hunger games with a custom chest loot system like that of other events we have had EMC bday hits my heads, but not sure) could use custom premade maps.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  6. The reason why Chin, and now myself with my own private server, have hosted some events on our own servers off-EMC is because it is easier. I can understand why that would be confusing, so let me explain.

While the Games server offers a lot of potential, EMC's main focus is still survival Minecraft. EMC does survival Minecraft really well, and distracting our dev team from EMC updates to work on minigames would not be an efficient use of our developers time. It is much better that they focus on survival Minecraft.

The main intention of Games was to move all of the arenas located on the SMPs into one server where anyone can access them. Many players struggled with coming to events on SMPs 4, 5, and 6, because they were far out in the frontier on those SMPs. Now, they can just simply switch servers to access those events.

Yet Games server did open up the opportunity to expand the event offerings on EMC, and so our Build and Dev teams added a few more games for players to have fun with. However, these were planned additions for the release of Games server, so our devs dedicated time to them for Games release. Now, the Events Team's goal is to use Games server to the best of our ability to offer a variety of unique and engaging EMC events. There are still plans to further expand the events offerings, but it's can be a slow process at times. :)

However, there are still limitations to Games server. For example, while it is possible for a UHC style event to be hosted on Games, that's not something that the EMC dev team is willing to put time into. In addition, adding UHC to Games server would take much more time and effort than creating a simple dedicated server for the event. Aikar would probably have to personally set up the world for it, create custom code for it all to work, etc.

I just hosted my first event on my private server last Friday. However, I'll say here the same thing I said to Krysyy when I spoke with her about hosting events on my server. As an EMC Events Organizer, my goal will always be to provide the best events I can on EMC servers. I try to think as creatively as possible so that I can provide a variety of events for EMC. My goal for my private server is to create a place where I can occasionally host events that are not possible to host on EMC. So basically, events that require the usage of command blocks.

If anyone has an idea for an event that does not require custom coding or command blocks, contact the EMC Events Organizers (Dramanya, Toade, and myself) as soon as you can! We are always looking for new and creative event ideas that we can host. However, the idea can not use any custom coding or command blocks.

Hopefully this helps explain the reasoning behind the use of staff-owned private servers for events. If anyone has any questions or concerns about what I've said, feel free to pm me at any time :)
  7. Oh, well I can kind of understand that. Thanks for responding, plus since you're an events organizer, that also gives me a good perspective of how Krysyy (the community/moderation/events admin), Eviltoade, and Dramanya may well actually feel about this.
    SkeleTin007 and Eviltoade like this.