[Suggestion] 8 Hour GameLimit

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Roslyn, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I am actively moving my arm (so not officially in AFK mode) will I still be kicked?
    Sgt_Pepper4 likes this.
  2. Yes, That is to prevent afk tree farms/mining
    We3_MPO and Equinox_Boss like this.
  3. Good motives behind this recommendation, I'm sure, but I can't support it.

1. As stated previously, some people idle/multi-task without actually being AFK.

2. The multi-user per IP with overlapping play times someone mentioned earlier.

3. Tied to #1 and #2, you would just end up reducing the number of players connecting to EMC, with what I believe would be very limited success of the actual intended result of helping people.

4. Eye strain and other physical issues related to long periods of playing/sitting in front of a computer screen are real issues but vary widely by person depending on many different factors. There are many minors that play EMC, and I can understand feeling a responsibility to ensure that the server is not contributing to damaging habits, but there are also quite a few adults. As one of them I don't feel the need to have someone trying to manage my time any more than I want someone trying to force regulate my habits of eating, drinking, sleeping, or exercise. That's what doctors, parents, and wives are for.

5. People affected by an actual time limit would probably just result in a reduction in their interest in EMC due to either being annoyed, finding a new game/activity to obsess over, or a combination of the two. If they took up soccer instead maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing, but somehow I don't think that would happen.

5. I already find the constant server reminders to "not use illegal mods" etc. a spammy annoyance. One more automated chat message is just going to piss me off. And don't suggest that it could just be a one-time message, because the likelihood is that then the people it was trying to help wouldn't even see it.

Which reminds me, there should be a PlayerSetting to turn off recurring server messages, or limit newly occurring messages to a preset number so you don't miss announcements you might actually be interested in. Let me know if that already exists and I missed it.

As an alternative, I'd suggest writing an article regarding the benefits of periodically taking a break. Mix in some humor and post it to the front page for a couple of days every few months. Or get PeculiarPotato to make a video on the subject and do the same with it.
    We3_MPO, EvilBlo, MatthewDA and 2 others like this.
  4. Staff are people too :p
  5. Or..... are They? :rolleyes:
  6. No, you only get kicked when the server is full. But keep in mind that the servers also reset automatically every day, which means you'd get kicked even if you weren't afk ;)

Which is why I play Minecraft in a windowed screen, right above my taskbar, which includes a clock ;)

A reminder is, but this isn't a reminder we're talking about. We're talking about forcing things onto players who might not have issues to begin with.

Either way, I don't see this working anytime soon to be honest. Think about supporters: they pay for an enhanced gameplay then all of a sudden EMC would block them from playing. I don't think that would work too well.

Don't get me wrong though, I definitely sympathize with the reasoning and the motivation behind it. But I simply don't think it's right to force things onto all the players just because a small amount of them can't control themselves. It only stops a symptom without solving (or even addressing) the actual problem underneath. And personally I'm a bit worried about possible side-effects.

If players are already so caught up then what's stopping them from running back to EMC after their forced break only to play for yet another 6 hours "to catch up for lost time"? Seriously, that's a side-affect which I fear could easily happen; people who will then start using the forced break as an excuse to play even longer. Because their break makes it all ok again.

In the end only one thing will help here: people need to live up to their own responsibilities. No automated system is going to do that for them.
    Zrugite, We3_MPO, 607 and 3 others like this.
  7. I find it hard to think someone would play in EMC for longer than 8 hours, interactivily that is. I can barely play for 2 hours before I get bored, I can't even plah computer games period for more than 5 hours without starting to just have my mind wander off and focus on other things I got to do or finish. Even then you should take a small break every hour.
    We3_MPO, 607, ShelLuser and 2 others like this.
  8. I doubt that it is implemented, but if its added, it going to be possibly time adjustable, and to be a kick (not a 10 minute ban). If you aren't afk, then it should not be a problem, since it would act as a server restart, which takes 5 seconds to reconnect.
    Also, we must keep in mind alternative implementations(but with same idea). The main idea here is way for the player to know that time has passed during his gameplay. Taking action or not(i agree with you), is up to the player. As I said before, The ideal implementation would be a message in chat (and in title/subtitle screen) that X time has passed, and EMc recommends a break.

Clash of Clans added this mechanism. Many top player need to play literally 24/7 to be at the top of the leaderboards. Why did they add a timer, to make the game fairplay(in CoC, if online, you cant get attacked, which is the point of the game) I don't think it is a bad idea to kick a player, or something for a few minutes.

And you said that you spent too many hours afk, then if you get kicked, you just press a button and you are back online, no big deal
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. Actually, there is one other implementation of this I wouldn't find as annoying. If you made it one of those messages that flashes across the screen instead of being in the chat window, limited the number of times it flashed to say 3, and at maybe 5min intervals.
    We3_MPO and Equinox_Boss like this.
  10. did you just assume their humanity?
  11. In my opinion, I feel as if it should be shaped out as to a much rather hour counter that refers to your overall playtime (Kind of like how in overwatch you're able to see in your career profile how many hours you've put into each character) being able to see how much time you've spent in each individual smp server . And while you could just do /p, I just contradicted myself, half of my idea stands dead before me, but it comes up as a better formatted idea before my eyes, a greater version of the /p system in which you're able to see your own character statistics like hours played, exp earned, total deaths etc (Basically the career profile go figure). But alas just saying something isn't as easy as making it, it's the idea that counts. Only time could tell if the possibility becomes an easy process.

Also for the most part this is a novel concept but it doesn't help the fact that it'll just lock you out of emc for a certain amount of time, it won't lock the internet, it could work in a way, but only in certain circumstances. So for the time being, best just stick to parental controls or self control.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. Wow I am surprised I got feedback on this idea! I read through all of them. I understand this suggestion deeply conflicts with AFK Farms or those who AFK in their residences while they are away for small periods of time. My motives aren't to interfere with those who legitimately run farms or are away to other causes. Though in a system like this, it wouldn't be able to tell the difference which is a huge con of the idea. I'll be editing the OP at the bottom of it to alter the suggestion or perhaps even leave just as is so people can read the discussion per post to see the development of the thread.
    We3_MPO, 607, ThaKloned and 2 others like this.
  13. Was created under the concern of ones health about being on a device for long periods of time.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  14. With all due respect I feel my point stands. This feels more like judgement than health concern.

Edit: I can understand some form of addition for parental controls, for those who know their children play or with them, but limiting adult access on their behalf seems too much. And even then, there are far, far worse that kids (and adults) can be doing than binge playing Minecraft. Chances are, they will peruse elsewhere on line. Surely that just limits EMC's exposure / reputation?
    Zrugite, We3_MPO, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  15. I'm sorry that you see it that way. It was never intended to judge ones character. I was just watching out for the well being of others.
    UltiPig, Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  16. I understand that, I know it's from a good place. Just playing Devil's Advocate somewhat as it's a reaction players may have and ultimately, this is a great server and a wonderful community. It would be a shame if people were diverted away from that, that's all.
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  17. -9000 cause I can't AFK farm if this is implemented. Meaning the value of some resources will skyrocket.
  18. Oops.. My bad
    PenguinDJ and Equinox_Boss like this.
  19. This man speaketh words of wisdom.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  20. They'd have to stop falling first :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.