[Suggestion] 8 Hour GameLimit

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Roslyn, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This might be a controversial suggestion but I'm going to say it anyways. I think if someone reaches 8 hours of game-play within the day, there should be a forceful 1 hour break time for that user meaning they can't log back in for an hour and need to step away from the computer and perhaps get some fresh air or rest their eyes. Its a bit of a health concern to see some who can spend 10 hours + per day everyday with little to no breaks in between. This would obviously need to be done by an IP basis so having an alternate account doesn't circumvent the 8 hour limit. I think this can be a good thing for users as it promotes a wellness factor and will remind some that there is an outside.

Some might ask what if they take a hour break lets say at 5 hours. Do they get another 3 hours before getting kicked for another hour? No I think if you take hourly breaks in between, it can reset the gamesession timer. Though user would need to be gone for exactly 1 hour minimum to reset.

This would not apply to staff members for obvious reasons.

Pros: Its healthy to get regular breaks and rest your eyes/stretch a bit.
    Cons: Can be very demanding server side to be keeping track of each player's game session.

Also if someone suggest to using a VPN to bypass a system like this, you're only hurting your personal health.
    ILTG, Jelle68, AyanamiKun and 4 others like this.
  2. Would probably be better as a recommendation then something forced.
  3. I agree, like with Wii... every few hours it stopped the game for 5 min or so to make you rest. It stopped in the way that a message poped up(but you could skip the break)
    We3_MPO, Equinox_Boss and SirCue like this.
  4. I personally don't think this is a good idea via IP. My whole family plays on the Empire and while often yes, we are all on at the same time, there are numerous times when I come home and the kids are just headed to bed. Our times can overlap and then I would be kicked due to their playing time. Besides this, I have been known to pull some 24hr + runs if I really get into it, and I believe that should be a personal choice. Just because I may be logged in for so much time does not mean I don't take necessary bathroom breaks or get food, or maybe even watch a show. Trust me I know what the outdoors have to offer...that grass always seems to grow :(

In the long run, I feel something like this may run off more people due to the restriction than it helps as a result of implementation. This server won't even let you play more than 8hrs at a time....just seems a little overboard to me.
    Zrugite, We3_MPO, 607 and 9 others like this.
  5. Do you have a gaming addiction?
    I can't even play for more than an hour or two before I need to take a break. I get bored quickly even if I've got a project going strong. BREAKS ARE BEST WITH COFFEE!!!!!
  6. Perhaps there can at least be a ingame recommendation that reminds you. I did mention the idea was a bit controversial so it was going to have some motives that didn't fit with everyone else's situations.
    607, ILTG, Nickblockmaster and 4 others like this.
  7. The ideal suggestion should be: every 2 hours get a message: "you have played too much time consecutively! We recommend a break!"
  8. Perhaps 3 hours but I agree nonetheless with the statement that would be displayed
    We3_MPO, Sgt_Pepper4 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  9. I once went 16 hours nonstop on mc... I was forced to go outside XD. but no i do not think this will happen
    Equinox_Boss and Daynsyy like this.
  10. Overall, +1 for telling people they've been online for too long and should take a break.

This actually probably wouldn't be too hard or taxing on resources if done correctly.

All it would require is another 2 fields in the EmpireUser object and 2 coloums in the database for the data to be stored. When the player logs in after a "lockout", or at midnight EMC time, a CRON job (automated process dispatched at a specified time/interval) would reset the database field;
    Example Column 1: activeTime (Stores Time Spent Online as INT/BIGINT)
    Example Column 2: nextAllowedLogin(Stores Unix Timestamp as INT/BIGINT)

Nightly Reset Query: UPDATE `user` SET `activeTime` = 0, `nextAllowedLogin` = 0 WHERE `activeTime` > 0;

Individual Reset Query: UPDATE `user` SET `activeTime` = 0, `nextAllowedLogin` = 0 WHERE `user_id` = ?;

When Player Connects: Take timestamp of connection time
    When Player Logs Out: Take timestamp of disconmect time, compare to connection timestamp, set activeTime;

11. I like this idea in theory, but I don't see it happening. The reminder in game is nice, but someone addicted enough to play 8+ hours at a time will probably just go get on their phone during the break.
  12. There can be an issue, where not everyone is logged on playing for 8 hours...

There are many days were i logon and i go afk for hours at a time, for doing school work, or doing house work, and come back to play.

Some reasons why someone might logon is if they are waiting for a farm to grow (Tree's, Cacti, Grass to spread), or any other reason.
  13. I know I'm new and know nothing, but wouldn't it be more applicable to staff? Assuming others are here recreationally, and staff are not, surely those here for working purposes would be more in need of the break?

I think people would be more likely to avoid the server altogether. I feel bad for playing so much, especially as a new member.
    TomvanWijnen and Equinox_Boss like this.
  14. This is a controversial subject already. People play more than 8+ hours? Yikes. I thought I played too much. Honestly, I like the idea, but it might force players to leave emc. After all, a videogame can't really tell you what to do in real life. :/ I can't imagine people playing for that long, but hey its your life. A game timer won't change anything. Most players will play a different videogame, instead of taking a walk or going to the gym. This generation.. *shakes head* Sorry, but this won't happen. -1 :(
    607, Nickblockmaster and Equinox_Boss like this.
  15. I sort of like the idea in general but I have kind of a wild suggestion.

If it wasn't harsh on the TPS (or even possible at all)

I think this idea could be effectively implemented with a system/algorithm to determine if the break is actually enforced or not, based on player movement and actions. (Yes, I know this would be a project for Aikar, chicken and co. Flame me if you wish, I'm long past the point where I care about what people think about me.) The system would use player
    movements and actions (again, if this is even possible with all of the players at any given time) to determine if there should be an actual break.

For example,
    • building nonstop for 8 hours- "hey, you should take a break! go drink some water, maybe have a snack"
    • afking with small actions here and there to stay "active" - "dude, you should be paying rent with the amount of server resources you're taking up, let's take a short break, k?
  16. I like this suggestion. I see some people playing all day sometimes (including me), and EMC shouldn't take up the majority of someone's day/life. It shouldn't become their lives.

If your suggestion is denied, I think an in-game message notifying the user the option to take a break would be a good alternative.

17. Sorry but -1 from me. For 2 very important reasons.

The first is that this negatively affects gameplay. What about those players who are AFK near a farm or AFK in general? Which is perfectly allowed as long as the player does not perform any automated action and doesn't try to circumvent the anti-afk system (in my opinion a better name is "the server overpopulation protector" :D).

I can sometimes be online for a very long time, but during that time I also often spend plenty of time in my AFK room (in-game) because I'm actually busy elsewhere IRL. Like making / eating dinner, getting coffee, bathroom break, etc.

Second... Whatever happened to living up to ones own responsibilities? Do we really need a system which controls whatever we're doing, even if the intend is a good one? I don't think so. Because all this does is start a very tricky development. Because what would be next on the list?

Not to mention: does this really fix anything? People who can't control themselves in the first place won't be stopped by this blockade. They'll simply move onto another server (or single player) and continue, and that'll be the end of that.

I can be in favor for such a system but only if it's an opt-in one. Meaning: you have to activate or request its activation yourself, it should not be enforced on players.
    Dramanya, Zrugite, We3_MPO and 5 others like this.
  18. 1st: Easy fix: if you do /afk for atleast 10min it resets the timer

2nd: Sadly, nature didnt give human beings the ability to percieve time. You can know time, by seeing the sun, sure, but your senses don't include it. That means that when you having fun, time passes quickly so you don't notice. A reminded is always helpful :)

opt in opt out option, wouldnt make sense ( maybe as a message(similar to EMC news in chat)), but the truth is that your health>EMC
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. Thanks for proposing the idea! I do have to agree with Shell though, I sometimes AFK at a farm and it would be very sad to be kicked off the server while doing so. As a side note, if you are not active on a server and the server is not full, do you still get kicked? I tried to farm overnight last night but when I woke up I was kicked off the server.
    We3_MPO, 607, Merek_Shadower and 2 others like this.
  20. 1st: head farming doesnt make player go afk mode
    2nd: Yes, if you are afk, EMC kicks you, cause you arent being satisfied by standing there. So the systems kicks you if there is a person that wants to join EMC (supporters can also kick white players(i think))
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.