Strategy Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SillyWhiteMage, May 17, 2012.

1. That's not a strategy game >.>

Picking up this topic again, Buying SWTOR is in the works for me, as is Tera. I am downloading portal on my laptop as we speak (Finally linked my ps3 copy to it hooray!) Civilization is also only 20 dollars on steam, and if someone would teach me how to play I'd be willing to try it :p
  2. Civilization is rather easy to learn and get the hang of( I have a friend who played only fps games and he figured it out himself.) Also civ5 is having a sale this weekend( also a free weekend so you can try the game for free) on steam. With the big steam summer sale next month where you'd be able to get Civ4 pretty cheap during it. I normally tell people in may/june and november/december to wait to buy games till the big sales they do in june and december.
  3. I grew up playing Age of Empires. I believe that (the original) was the first real strategy game I played. I had experienced to small degree the likes of the original Civilization and Populus, but I was far too young to fully understand or appreciate what was going on, I typically just watched my older brothers play them. So Age of Empires is what really set the foundations for my strategy experience.

I played a few random titles here and there over the years, but one major franchise I never really got into properly was Command and Conquer. I never really bought many games in my younger days, so missed out on that era, which also included Total Annihilation. In fact the first strategy game I can remember paying for myself was Emperor: Battle for Dune. I didn't even have a computer good enough to run it well, but I played the hell out of it. After that I did actually take my first proper step into the C&C universe with Generals, which was an amazingly fun game.

Over the years I did of course take the opportunity to play old games like Red Alert and Total Annihilation (prompted by the release of Supreme Commander) and found them to be fascinatingly charming. Even though I had not played these games when I was younger, I still felt a certain nostalgia.

I'll conclude by listing some of my favourite strategy titles/franchises:

Age of Empires, Civilization IV, Command and Conquer: Generals, Emperor: Battle for Dune, Rome: Total War, Homeworld, Company of Heroes, Sins of a Solar Empire, The Settlers, Rise of Nations, Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander.
    Eclipsys and thecontroller like this.
  4. This is one of games that got me into gaming.
  5. Yep, Plants vs. Zombies.
  6. Yes, because Laura Shigihara made an awesome soundtrack for it.
    AlexChance likes this.
  7. The only thing I can really remember from the few times I tried to play it was picking up the people and dropping them in random places, typically off the edge of the world if I recall correctly.
  8. Sounds like my first experience with it. I've been gaming since I rather little.
  9. I'm pretty sure gaming has been part of my life since I was about five or six at least, but I never owned a console, it was all PC gaming.
  10. I've had a mix of both console and pc gaming my whole life.
  11. I <3 chess!
  12. I meant civ 5 on steam for 10 bucks. Romance of the three kingdoms are my favorite strategy games If anything goes. Although 8 is still my favorite. Risk online is fun too. There was a top down squad based shooter names arc that was lot of fun
    That's what I mostly grew up on. We had dial up as a kid so PC gaming wasn't really an option. I grew up on my PS two and Xbox
    For that matter viva pinata is a very under rated game. World of goo is a lot of fun ifuou like strategic puzzle games
    Virtual villagers was fun when it was out.Warcraft is ok bit I only have the old ones. I heard Diablo three OS a lot of fun but its down on the list behind Tera and star wars. If only because I never played the old ones and MT friends are trying to get me into it. Battle chess games are fun toand of course we can get really nerdy and talk about trading card games if you guys really want to :p
  13. I played MtG and yu-gi-oh for the longest.
  14. For PC i think any of the Total War series are the best (Rome, Shogun 1-2). Good mix of economic, highly detailed combat, and gigantic map strategy. For a console RUSE is a wonderful game, a little glitchy and you cant skip annoying cutscenes, but this game really shines on graphics, map design, and unit diversity for a WW2 game.
  15. I enjoy the Total War games, though Europa Universalis 3 or Hearts of Iron 3 would have to take the spot for best pc strategy(even if they aren't my favorite.)
  16. My friend was rated in the top 100nationwide for mtg. Yeah. That nerdy. I was never good at it but I loved Yu gi oh. Still have my cards and the online versions are pretty fun too.
  17. Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri.

It's a spin-off of Civ, and it's an amazing game; if you like strategy and don't mind the simple dated graphics, look it up.

It's turn-based, so you can sit for half an hour planning out your next move - maybe lining up an appropriate number of ariel troops, infantry, tanks and defenders.

It begins with axes and discovering the wheel, and progresses to anti-gravity teleporting tanks and mind-control.

There's 1000 different ways to play the game - aggressively, co-operatively, or simply staying out of everyone's way.

There's a bit of a learning curve to it, but it's not *that* bad, because you can leave most settings on 'automatic' until you get more into it.

It's the most addictive game I've ever played, and the one I've spent the most time on; thousands of hours. And I paid £2 for it, in a second-hand shop.
  18. I liked Sid Meier's pirates too
  19. Thank you Alex :)

My favorite Strategy games was Age Of Empire 3
    Also,Star Wars Empire at war is fun for the younger(8-12)
  20. Sid Meier is a pioneer and a revolutionary. It doesn't get much better than SimGolf.

Seriously.
    nerone94 likes this.