storage wars style derelict plots

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Gyppie, Jun 17, 2018.

1. I have a suggestion for derelict plots.
    Basically you can set times i.e weekends or when the server has its peak times and auction off plots so the winner of the auction can get permissions for the res and raid the plot before you reset them. This would maybe save a lot of mined/retrieved items just being lost to the resetti.
    I know its viable its just whether staff members have the time to do this.
    please review this suggestion as i think its a good one as all players with there own suggestions it wont need extra plugins just a staff members time.
    Yours Truly
    Gyppie
  2. As much as I think this would be a cool idea, I feel like this could hurt the economy, if a private collection of resources are suddenly released into the economy.
    Gyppie likes this.
  3. but in what respect because it would just be the same as somebody mining a lot of resources, yes it may be slower to retrieve such items by mining but they would be paying in rupees for it, i mean i do respect what you say but dont think it would harm the economy that badly in my opinion, but thanks for the feedback thats what i kind of wanted hence why i suggested it.
  4. I think it would be fun, will make EMC unique +1
    Gyppie likes this.
  5. Say someone like Sachrock went derelict, their promo collection could stall or even crash the economy for certain items.
    NuclearBobomb and ChespinLover77 like this.
  6. Debatable but the items already exist in the economy. So It's doubtful. It'd be a great idea but at the same time, It's not something for emc. The super rich could stay rich and the poor still stay poor. If we are talking rupees and paying to staff, it may benefit the economy but it's also too much work/gamble to deal with.
    607 likes this.
  7. For a personal collection, for the most part they never go back into circulation, so they are, for all intents and purposes, dead.
  8. -1
    I don't think this is needed on emc, it's bad for the community because it would possibly make people jealous of others or greedy. But this server is to make new friends and have fun not take fun from others
    TheBidule likes this.
  9. Derelict plots exist for the reason of opening up space that's not being utilized, when it's wanted by another player. Some players come back to EMC after prolonged absences due to unanticipated RL happenings, only to feel devastated when they find everything on their residence has been obliterated. This is allowed to happen even when there are empty, available plots, which makes it feel even worse for those players. We all know the rules and I believe one can even inform Staff if they expect an extended absence, but these facts don't really make a player feel better when they've lost all their items and whatever time they spent building on their residence.

There was a time that I would have thought this was a good idea. Better that those items go back into the economy than be lost forever, right? The thing is, if you put them up for auction, you'll just perpetuate the "rich getting richer," because they'll likely outbid the rest. Now, I know that many "rich" players also tend to share a lot (just look at all the drop parties that are hosted), so I'm not saying the wealthy players on EMC are greedy bastards. But by holding auctions, you'd also be promoting an unhealthy competitive spirit.

Also, from the standpoint of game design, I know in the past it's been commented on that EMC doesn't have enough economy "sinks." The basic idea is that you have mechanisms to "pull" wealth out of the economy, keeping it more balanced. Although Res resets can be painful, they do serve this purpose to an extent. Whether the benefit outwieghs the detriment is a much larger discussion.

I think a better idea would be when a player takes over a derelict residence, for a player's items that are stored in chests or other container items (item frames, shulker boxes, etc) on that residence to be retained in a Derelict Vault that would only be available to the derelict player for a limited amount of time after returning to the server. I imagine this would not be too difficult to automate once the original time went into writing the script, but I think others can comment more insightfully on that point.

It is also noteworthy that the ability was added (recently?) for Res transfers from one player to another.
  10. Ok some of your points I follow and respect, but at the same time it won't just be the rich getting rich it will make people want to keep there plots so in a sense keep people playing, and rich people go derelict too shall we say. So there for spreading the economy a bit. Also auctioning plots needn't start high, they could start very low so poor players can get rich people derilict plots spreading the wealth.

On the whole devastating for people to lose there plots if they haven't been on for 100 days unless they have spoken to staff for personal or special reasons as stated in the rules than what is the problem with that. I have been on emc for 6 years and twice my plot has been reset due to me not being on. I have accepted this due to the rules clearly stating the 30 derelict point. But thank you for your input in the matter as I said before this is only a suggestion and I want to know what other players think of this idea.
  11. Many people wouldn't appreciate this. I wouldn't either. And yes, people do sometimes come back after their residence has been reset.
    Besides, there may be private items on a residence.
    ChespinLover77 likes this.
  12. +1 to this.

If I went derelict, for what ever reason, I would want someone to have access to my valued items
  13. Sorry, but once again I have to go -1 on this.

As it is right now people can already be a little upset when they loose their residence, I can well imagine that this situation could make it even worse. Not only did they lose all their stuff, but now some random player "just" took it from them? That can't be good.

But most of all I think that this suggestion overlooks a very important aspect: resets don't happen just for fun, they happen because the server is running out of free space. In which case I can well imagine that a setup like this would only delay the - at that time - highly needed reset(s).

That doesn't mean that this idea can never work of course, but... I doubt you'll find too many people in favor of this.

I could support a situation in which players get a choice, maybe through a /ps setting. So then they specifically opt-in for the 'risk' that whenever they go derelict then their residence maybe up for grabs by a random player. But as I said earlier: who would do that? Especially if you didn't plan on going derelict but it simply happened due to unforeseen circumstances...

But if you'd go this way (players can "opt in") then I can immediately see another issue: "What's is in it for me?". You take the risk of loosing all your stuff to another player, but... where is your benefit? And if there are benefits, how are we going to determine them? Surely there'd be more risks involved when your res. is fully filled up with builds vs. a residence which is mostly empty?

So in the end all of this would put a lot of extra strain on the staff, and then we get to another very important aspect: what's their benefit?

I can't help but see a lot of extra work for staff, an increased risk for drama ("they took my stuff!!"), more delays with resets which are usually needed when they happen and all that for basically an extra event with some added prices.
  14. This is correct. Some random player that just might tell the player they took all their stuff. Sorry, can't see this ever happening, -1.
  15. I can't see this ever being a thing on EMC. I agree with the 'rich will get richer' statement. This type of thing would only be beneficial to a handful of people with much money to spend. Too easy for them to drop a crazy amount of money and potentially flip it all for profit. In that case there would be no reason to do this other then putting money in someone else's pocket for doing nothing.

I think the derelict system as it is now is fine. No need to change it.
    607 and ChespinLover77 like this.
  16. I see I got a lot of different views on this and I don't want people feeling upset or angry it was just a way of keeping people playing and maybe the money raised from the auctions could go to the player who's plot it is maybe. Like I said it's just a suggestion and putting an idea out there for admins, also I don't think extra plugins would be need but I can see there are more against this idea then for it, I honestly thought a lot more players would like this idea and not disagree with it as much as you guys have well I know this suggestion isn't top of the list for the best part of people anyways thanks for all the input guys I appreciate and respect all of your views, bet you lots are glad I don't make the rules round here haha (jokes)
    ShelLuser, 607 and ThaKloned like this.
  17. Anytime you have a suggestion you should always post it. You never know when you might come up with something that could be implemented. Maybe the majority disagreed with this one but that is just one suggestion. Don't get discouraged from this! I've made a few myself that didn't pan out but you just try again next time. :)
  18. support
    Gyppie likes this.