SMP8 Public Wild Utilities

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by khixan, Jun 16, 2015.

?

SMP8 wants ???

XP Grinders 145 vote(s) 46.2%
Iron Farm 63 vote(s) 20.1%
Gold Farm 52 vote(s) 16.6%
Guardian Farm 38 vote(s) 12.1%
Other (leave in comments) 16 vote(s) 5.1%
  1. hey khixan He is talking about mad_mangos... When he end portal going to the wild was greiefed he went to help and was told to leave and never help again and so he did not as a result people of his group have tried to avoid the pwu.
    ~~PYRO
    khixan and Tuqueque like this.
  2. I have been informed that the tree eater for PWU does not work for birch trees. I will be working on a fix for this within the next couple days, until then, no birch. Sorry folks! :)
  3. With the 1.11 update, the tree eater no longer works for birch trees. In the next couple weeks, I will have a new design ready to be put in place. Till then, it only works with oak and small jungle. Thanks.
    Tuqueque and khixan like this.
  4. Ahbh, that's actually not a PWU build. That is a privately held build that the owner allows PWU and ForeverMaster (and anyone really) to use for access to the wild end. It was a rather stressful and upsetting situation with the massive griefs at 4 different locations and many hours of clean up work. I'm sorry his feelings were hurt. There were many short tempers and angry tired upset people during repairs. Despite that, most of it went pretty smoothly with the slew of people who came out to help. I am very sorry mad_mangos had that said to him. I only vaguely recall it, but if I'm remembering correctly, it was very much a heat of the moment wrong time wrong place occurrence. mad_mangos is welcome at any of the PWU builds, and I hope that message/apology reaches him.

Onto other subjects -
    The good news -
    Thank you Ben! Very much appreciated :)

And now for the bad news -
    This is strike #2 for Fe(II) having AFK capability. Folks, if people cannot use the AFK option thoughtfully and courteously, I will take it away.

I never wanted it in the first place, and I still don't. I allowed myself to be begged and badgered into providing it. I would be perfectly happy to remove it. I will stay its execution until strike #3. For those who want that AFK feature, I suggest you help avoiding strike #3 by "advertising" the upcoming rules far and wide. Stay tuned please.

Someone from PWU (I'm busy till Sunday this week) will be putting up messages making things clearer about AFK time limits, and the manual kill always trumping AFK. We'll get the exact wording and rules figured out by tomorrow night.

Thanks and cheers all, happy minecrafting!
    cubefragment and Tuq_SolidColor like this.
  5. Mad is crazy in a way XD and I think he is happy as of now with his project and outpost mates. I think all 4 of us are, tho helping with almost every build he could ( - pigments and sushi drop). then going out of his way to take the near half a hour trip to help with the issue only to be told to never help again? It felt like a punch in the gut.
    I should know. The internet gives us a mask of amenability and I think it is a good to wear one. because I am him and yes I accept your apology.
  6. :eek: Are people forgetting to flip the switch? If thats the case, lots of iron is being wasted.
  7. You guys need any supplies or manual labor?
    Tuqueque, khixan and Sealeon like this.
  8. ChumMiner has it covered, thank you though Duckne!

And we got the rules written tonight. Short and simple (I hope).

Fe(II) - The Rules

Fe(II) supports 2 people AFK'ing, and 2 people using manual kill (1 on each side). Manual kill always trumps AFK. If there is someone AFK, please return the levers to the AFK position once you are done killing.

Check back from AFK every 30 minutes. Ask in Local Chat if anyone is waiting. If there is no one waiting, repeat every 30 minutes. If there is someone waiting, let the next person take their 30 minute turn. Trade off every 30 minutes if you're both still there.

EDIT: Please do NOT use your alts to claim up the second AFK spot.

The above is going up at Fe(II) thanks to ChumMiner. Let me elaborate here just to be extra super clear.
    • 2 people AFK (one on each side), 2 people using manual kill (one on each chest side). That's the maximum possible (4 total).
    • Standing on top of someone and becoming a third AFK wheel is not okay. Standing on top of someone is inconsiderate and is basically theft.
    • You could in theory have a total of 4 people using the manual kill but there are only TWO manual kill collection chests. The only way more than 2 people using manual kill is okay is if you are partners who have planned ahead of time to split the chest loot.
    • You can AFK for 30 minutes. Check back after 30 minutes. Ask in local chat "Is anyone waiting to use Fe(II)?". Give people a few minutes to answer. Scroll up in your chat box and make sure no one PM'ed you letting you know they are waiting for their turn to use Fe(II) - and PM them back please if they're still online. If no one is waiting for their turn, feel free to AFK for another 30 minutes, and then check again. Rinse and repeat.
    • We rarely have any issue with people waiting for manual kill turns, but same idea. You get 30 minutes if there's a waiting line, and then you get back in line.
    • Manual kill mode always trumps the AFK mode. You are welcome to use manual kill even if 2 people are AFKing. Please be courteous and set the levers back to AFK mode before you leave IF someone is AFKing.
    • EDIT: There is absolutely NO reason to have yourself and your alt AFK'ing at Fe(II). All the iron will get to one person AFK'ing (sometimes it just takes a bunch of dispenses, but it will come to you). Using yourself and an alt to take up both spots is just BLOCKING ACCESS TO OTHER PLAYERS.
    Before I start using the manual kill mode, I'll throw any iron in the manual kill chests to anyone who is AFK. At the end of the day, that's me choosing to be a decent honest human being. I'm not going to make that one a rule. If the AFK person grabbed their own loot from those chests every 30 minutes, they'd have most of it anyway. Golems that fight the current and manage to suicide in the lava blades cause some iron to be in those chests. It's pure random chance how much collects there (or doesn't). What you choose to do with it is up to you and how you want to feel about yourself when you look in the mirror.

Thanks for reading all that, and please let me know if any of the above needs further clarification. Hopefully this will fix the "fight for rights to Fe(II)". Feel free to share this information.

If these rules don't fix the issue, I will remove the AFK feature. Public build + AFK is a terminally BAD idea in my opinion. If folks want to keep that AFK feature, they need to help spread the word please.

Thank you all, goodnight.
  9. Is there a long term solution planned for the (always being broken) rabbit boat bridge?
    Tuqueque and Kytula like this.
  10. Senior staff declined the request to toss down a path there. That's not an official service they provide (a path through lava or water in the protected zone).

The other two times they were willing to do it was just luck a dev/ss was in the mood to help and wasn't already busy.

It's in the protected zone, so there's not a damn thing we can do about it unless a dev, SS, or admin takes pity on those folks trying to maintain that floating bunny bridge.

Maybe a post to the suggestion thread about landscape in the protected zones should be easily traversable on foot? No lava/water/mountains blocking access through areas in protected zones? Something like that?

EDIT: Also MWR, can you pls remove your signs at Fe(II) if you haven't already done so? Thanks!
    Tuqueque and Kytula like this.
  11. It seems I missed one point with Fe(II)'s rules.
    Please do NOT use your alts to claim up a second AFK spot at Fe(II).

There is absolutely NO reason to have yourself and your alt AFK'ing at Fe(II). All the iron will get to one person AFK'ing (sometimes it just takes a bunch of dispenses, but it will come to you). Using yourself and an alt to take up both spots is just BLOCKING ACCESS TO OTHER PLAYERS.

I'm done with the AFK feature. AFK + Public Build = BAD.

I'm sitting here debating logging back in just to rip out the AFK from Fe(II). I'll discuss that tomorrow with other PWU members, but right now at this moment, I want to REMOVE it.
  12. If you ask me, I'd like it removed (don't take this as official staff asking you to remove it - this is just my opinion ;) ) but I just don't think it's a good idea. Players squabble over it pointlessly, and while it's not everyone and a lot of players I've seen there are actually quite kind, it does bring out the worst in some players and it's easy for greed to get the better of people at times.
  13. Strike #3 for AFK at Fe(II).
    Fe(II) will be temporarily closed later today. The AFK area will be removed, and it will return to a manual kill iron farm.

I am hoping to reopen by tomorrow night at the latest.

If anyone would like to give me a hand, I will need testers for the manual kill to make sure the golems cannot kill players. If you're willing to set a bed out there and possibly (probably) die a few times, give me a holler later tonight please. Thanks!
    ShelLuser, Duckne, Tuqueque and 3 others like this.
  14. want any help with fell
  15. If you need help, I can stick an alt out there after UHC today.
  16. Thanks guys! I'll just need testers in an hour or 3. That would be great if you're willingly to be possibly turned into golem mush ;) Cheers!
    Tuqueque and Sealeon like this.
  17. Depending on how busy I am IRL i can be out to test. I'm currently on and headed out there in case I'm not as busy as I thought I'd be. :rolleyes:
  18. Fe(II) is re-opened! Thank you everyone who came out to help and test! <3
    Tuqueque, SkeleTin007 and fBuilderS like this.
  19. Great job smp8 for removing afk...

Speaking of which, happy page 69.
    Tuqueque and SkeleTin007 like this.
  20. It really wasnt cause of smp8 users. Fell was just fixed. In 1.9 it was broken so afk had to be a thing. Now that the system works fine the afk broke the system(not really but it wasnt an intended feature). So basicly, removing the afk was fixing FeII
    khixan likes this.