SMP3 Public Squid Farm for Black Dye

Discussion in 'Share Your EMC Creations' started by likeike12, Oct 10, 2020.

1. I got tired of gathering black dye manually so I came up with the concept for this squid farm of a youtube video I watched. It generates to much ink. It's WIP but the farm works like a charm.

Directions to farm can be found here: https://empireminecraft.com/threads/shop-mall-directory.82580/

Let me know what you guys think!

Fred_TWK, Zomberina, majorp7 and 4 others like this.
  2. Looks nice! One can never have too much ink.
    majorp7 likes this.
  3. Looking good, gonna check it out ingame some time!:D I've never built an ink farm so I'm not too familiar with them, does it have a collection system or do you run around like in some of the guardian farms?
  4. Collection system down below which I just got done revamping today. :)
  5. At this point I have 13 dc's. :D:)
  6. I know this is a very old post, but I thought I would update that as of 4/23/2022 this farm appears not to work! Sorry.
  7. Have you tried using the farm when there were fewer players on smp3? I used to use this farm and at times it wouldn't produce a single ink sac. I was told it depends on how many people are on causing the entity limit to be reached, thus no squids.
    607 and JesusPower2 like this.
  8. Oh, good point! I'll have to try it again and keep an eye on other players. I'll report back...
    JesusPower2 likes this.
  9. blockhead= old = classic =vintage = lots off $$$$$
  10. I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same issue and can't seem to figure it out. I made my own river biome squid farm that won't produce a single squid. Then I went looking through the forums and discovered the huge one on smp3 that apparently worked great in 2020 but not at all in 2022. Anybody have an idea what changed in that timeframe? Does anybody have a currently working squid farm?

Note, this isn't the falling water issue as the squid aren't spawning at all.
  11. I'm not sure what is going on as I've seen many river biomes that have squid in them but I've not had success making a farm in them. It might be that they need to be large or deep?? I was finally able to make a squid farm over an ocean monument that works, so I gave up on the river based ones.
    Raaynn likes this.
  12. Good to know. Does it use a similar capture technique (air gaps between water columns)? I'd love to see your design or a similar one if you have a link. I think the smp3 public prismarine farm uses an ocean monument and used to collect ink but doesn't anymore. Maybe because of the falling water not pushing squid anymore. Thanks for the update!
  13. I'd be happy to show you mine or give you directions to the one that is semi public soon. The design I used is this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvFThmtB89I&t=0s

I did add a collection system that brings the ink sacs and kelp up to the AFK area using bubble columns.
  14. Nice design! Actually looks simpler than the river one I just finished after considering all the water I had to sponge up. Would love to see yours or the semi public one if you can send me directions.

Were there any adjustments to get it to work on EMC? I’m guessing the AFK spot might need to be a little lower.

Thanks for sharing!

I’m also still curious if anyone knows what changed between 2020 and 2022 that affected squid spawning in river biomes (maybe chickeneer knows 😀). I’ve tried figuring out these kinds of mechanics from the wiki changes from vanilla, but there are a lot of details missing as pertains to specific types of mobs.
  15. I believe that the glow squid farm on smp3 had numerous issues as well. Ask Fredtwk about it?
  16. yeah, I still have to finish fixing that one. will have to wait till I come back from my trip, will aim at making that a priority

basically it seems that glow squid now have a lower mobcap, and underground water sources take a lot out of that
  17. Very interesting. Would love to hear the details once you get it working. I'm interested in learning more of the mechanics of mobs on EMC.