Slime Rancher!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kephras, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Or "How to become an interstellar poop-farmer - The Game."
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/433340/Slime_Rancher/

...So, I picked this up last week, mostly on a whim after watching a certain green-haired youtuber's playthroughs of it, and OH MY GOD. I can not describe it as anything other than "digustingly adorable," and I mean that in several ways.

For those unfamiliar with the game, your goal is to get rich by feeding slimes and harvesting their "plorts" - little crystallized objects which are basically slime poo. It's a very simple premise, but the wide variety of slimes (omnivorous pinks, vegetarian rocks, and chicken-devouring tabby slimes, to name a few) and surprisingly intricate world design make it very tough to put down. There's always something new that needs doing, little slimes to tend to, and even when the mechanics start to overwhelm you with a certain 'tedium' of ranch-keeping tasks (harvest the garden, feed the slimes, empty the plort-collectors, ad nauseum), it never feels like a chore because it is virtually impossible not to smile when you walk past the corral of your Tabby Phosphor Largos and hear them cheerfully purring and "whee-hee"ing as they jump around playing with their toy lantern or yarn ball. Or both.

The world itself brilliantly rewards exploration, so when you can get away from your ranch and out into the wild, there's always something new to discover, some hidden area you didn't quite notice the last time.

What else can I say? This game is literally a cure for depression.

Anyway, feel free to discuss: favorite slimes, favorite areas, best moments, anything.
    I had Marie laughing herself senseless yesterday because I was making "bwok-bwok-bwaaa" chicken noises at five in the morning. Apparently I do an excellent chicken impression.
  2. I have such a huge corral of Rad Slimes that I can't walk into the pen without nearly dying.
    Also: Never create Crystal Rock Largos. They're cute but deadly.
    Kephras likes this.
  3. I just got two slime toys last night. The rock and lantern. My rock slimes keep bashing against the rock and my phosphor slimes swarm around the lantern. I almost had a third toy. From my quick glimpse of it, it looked like a beach ball. But then the slimes that were playing with it pushed it into the ocean. Now I have no idea if I can ever possibly get it somewhere else or if it'll just re-spawn. Those dang slimes are gonna miss out on more fun now.
  4. Actually, I have a pen of Crystal Mosaics in the cavern. If you think crystal slimes are fun, you should see them when they can rain fire all over the place. ;) But that's what plort collectors are for I assume - those scary-dangerous slimes you wouldn't want to get in a corral with.

Unfortunately, it seems rad-slime auras overlap, so if you're in proximity of two, your radiation level goes up twice as fast. Not sure if that's a bug they plan on fixing or an intended effect, but either way a full corral sounds like a death-sentence.

That sucks. I've found the lantern and yarn ball in the wild, but bought the toys for most of my slimes. If you do the 7Zee offers, a slime-toy vending machine is one of their reward tiers. Not sure of the exact level, but it's much simpler to buy the toys than try to carry one all the way back (they don't go through teleporters with you).
    607 likes this.
  5. SOUNDS LIKE A GAME FOR ME!

But nah. You've seriously piqued my interest on this. I knew it existed, but I paid no attention to it. I now expect to have it in my games library, which is already far too large, eventually. Damn.
    607 and Kephras like this.
  6. I carried the first two back. Both times I nearly died. One I had to carry through two spots with those starving angry slimes. That will try their best to kill you and make you their dinner. The second I had to jump across the water from one small island to the next. Nearly falling into the water both times. It was terrifying. But I really enjoyed the challenge. And seeing my slimes happily playing with them made it feel like much more of an accomplishment. I will probably only buy the toys if I can't find them in the wild or they get knocked into the water. (Here's hoping the slimes don't push them into the water again. The devious slimey monsters.)
  7. I bought this game about year ago when still in beta and really enjoy the hell out of it because how chill the game is for most part. I need to go back to a start a new game and enjoy the new updates that were release in the last year. I give the game 9/10
  8. Oh dear lord that looks so cute I don't think my heart can handle it!
    I would honestly get that game if it didn't cost money :3
    Kephras and _Levy_McGarden_ like this.
  9. I will add this game to my "Would-buy-if-I-had-Steam-and-spare-money-lying-around" list. :p
    Kephras and _Levy_McGarden_ like this.
  10. Honestly, though I linked it through Steam, I actually bought it off the Humble store, which has a DRM-free version available as well. That way, both me and my girlfriend could install on our own computers. I might consider giving my steam key away, if there's interest.
  11. I saw this game pop up in my subscription feed on YouTube a handful of times, but never actually clicked.
    Sounds fun, though! :)

Also, finally, I had been waiting to read a Marie anecdote. :p
    Kephras likes this.
  12. This looks so much fun and way too cute lol :p If my family wasn't poor (we need that $$$) I would definitely get the game but sadly it costs le money xD
    Kephras likes this.
  13. On steam, any friend you have added on there can buy the game as a gift for you. So there's always that option.
  14. That would be nice but I don't want to make someone buy a game for me >_<
  15. LOVE THIS GAME! So cute and relaxing I almost fell asleep playing it, in a good way!
  16. Sadly, I have not played since I posted this. :(
    I miss my slimes. I should tend to them this evening.
    607 likes this.
  17. Seems like a fun game. Added it to my wishlist. Wish I would have heard about it sooner though :p
  18. I got the demo/trial version off of Steam and played it. Very cute indeed and probably the best gameplay I have ever had in a while, especially when I found the tabby slime <3 Its very, very fun and adorable, plus the music is great :p
    I am literally just playing the trial over and over again and doing stuff and exploring places I didn't before! It would be epic to have the full game lol
    Kephras and 607 like this.
  19. Sorry for a double post here but I went to the official game page and went from there and when I clicked on the buying way I wanted to see what the price was I saw there was a option to buy it using Amazon and it just so happened that I had a $25 Amazon gift card so I gave that to my mom and she payed for it so now I have Slime Rancher <3 <3 <3 Dreams fulfilled lol :p
  20. Ranch all the slimes! \o/ Glad you were able to get a copy - may it bring you much joy and silliness.
    (Also, avoid combining Quantum Slimes with anything dangerous!)

I'm actually seriously considering giving my steam-key away, but I don't have any good ideas for doing so.
    607, _Levy_McGarden_ and ThaKloned like this.