Should I establish and outpost or not?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AbstractToast9, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Hi everyone

I’ve never gone into the frontier before, but now that I’ve been on for a while I’m starting to get a little bored with town and want to explore.

I want to build a base in the frontier, but I really don’t want to be thousands of blocks away from an outpost.

Is it worth going through the work of establishing the outpost for just me, or can I just start building wherever? What are the advantages/ disadvantages?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. It is worth it 100% you have basically unlimited space to build in the frontier and you are not limited like you are in town on hostile spawns. You can build a frontier outpost around 20-30k away from the protected outpost on almost any smp and construct an ice boat path in the nether that will make it only take about 2 or 3 minutes to get back and forth. Once you have a few farms made though you will go back to town less and less :D
  3. Advantages are you can set up iorn farms and mob farms.

Disadvantage items are not as secure as at town, But you can locked chest for only you or block them with blocks to prevent stealing.

But don't worry the server frowns on that. Any trouble just report it to staff.

Advantages you have more spaces to build.
  4. Don’t forget that Established outposts come with a House Elf.
  5. Just don't give them clothes to wash. That how i lost my servants. ; )
    Smooshed_Potato likes this.
  6. This is the opposite of the truth, your items are safer in the frontier than they are in town. If you don't log in for a month all your stuff in town will get deleted. That will not happen in the frontier. Town is just for economy/events and showboating ;)

EMC's best builds and communities are all in the frontier.
  7. Oops that ture.
  8. A very late reaction, I know, not really active anymore myself but despite that the Frontier is still special to me. So I had no choice :D

The best part is that you don't have to. See: this is why EMC has protected blocks; build something using those blocks and your build is automatically protected against griefing. Even if you're in an area too close to spawn where you can't use /buildmode just yet. Heck: this even applies to the wastelands.

I honestly cannot answer the "Is it worth it?" question because that's a very personal topic. I mean: something which is seriously fun for me could be a major bore for you. But do I think it's worth it? Definitely.

So... first tip: Why not establish your outpost on another SMP than the one you usually play on? See, I'm from SMP2, my home and most projects were located there, but my established outpost is on SMP9. So basically if I want to play in town I do: /smp2. If I want to play in the Frontier I use: /smp9. Sure: you won't be able to transport your equipment this way but do you really have to? Why not keep your "survival play" separated from your "town play" for a while? It's what I did when I first started with my outpost and I really enjoyed it (the only caveat was that I couldn't easily access SMP9 town).

Advantages...

Your place on the server. I've seen players coming back to EMC after years of inactivity and they landed on their Frontier base and everything was just as they remembered it was. So basically they could continue where they left off. Your Frontier base won't go derelict. If you go derelict and your town residence resets then this won't have any effect on the Frontier.

True survival (sorta). Bias alert: I'm not really a fan off the massive increase off enraged mobs; when neutral mobs suddenly become hostile then I think that's bad gameplay because it contradicts vanilla gameplay (no, this is not a hidden complaint, this is to provide context so that you know where I stand). But you'll get a much better Minecraft / survival experience than you will get in town. And Minecraft is essentially all about surviving in the wild and doing your things despite all the problems you may encounter (like creepers blowing up your stuff :eek:). And those enraged mobs? Well, you can always turn the whole kaboodle off using /ps if you want to.

Your call. Because you established it your say goes. If you want a (for example) medieval style area then all players you join your outpost have no other choice but to accept those wishes. It's either your way or the highway (but I do urge you not to overdo it; because sending players off to the highway will eventually result in an empty outpost). Still: players won't be able to "just" build next to you and basically you could say that you now have a 1500x1500 sized "wild plot" for you to build on.

Disadvantages...

No teleportation. (Bias alert: I personally consider this an advantage, but I know most players don't share this opinion, as such...). If you play in the Frontier and you need to get to town then you can't "just" go there. Seriously: an outpost I'm a member off on SMP2 is so far out that it takes 10 or so minutes to travel there by nether railway. It could be a hindrance. Oh, and if you're wondering: the main reason why I don't consider this a disadvantage myself is because it's all part of the gameplay, which you can anticipate for (like mentioned above: by playing on another SMP for example).

No 'true' land claiming. Once again it's in the eye of the beholder but claiming land doesn't automatically prevent other players from building there. Which could be a problem (theoretically) if you planned on a building, made preparations, and suddenly you find a player building. Also because even though you 'own' the land you're not allowed to "just" tear down someone elses building, even if they build it on your established land.

Major disclaimer required: I'm going 'by the letter' here, so theoretically this could happen but honestly? If you're pretty far out (which you probably have to be to establish) then there won't be much risks of players "just" building there. And if it does happen... who knows? It could be the start of a very nice friendship & cooperative projects in the making. Most EMC players are serious enough not to act all childish on you, especially if you're already that far out.

Massive effort required: I have played for approx. a year without one but eventually had to "cave in" :D If you're going for this then you will have to build yourself a nether rail. Which can become a problem of its own (at the very least it'll be a massive effort and a cut on resources (depending on how you build it)).

Shell's opinion

It is AWESOME. Sure, there will be problems like not being able to teleport, but that's just the name of the game. This IS still Minecraft you know and in vanilla Minecraft you also can't teleport, so why would you want to do that here?

Sure, that nether rail can become a drag (then again... it's amazing what planning and some good friends can do for you) but once you build all that it's also going to be worth it. Heck: I'm STILL fondly thinking back at the time when Aya & myself finished the nether rail to our outposts. And I don't even actively play on EMC anymore.

Instead of summing up problems ("can't tp to town", "can't protect my land", "can't tp to group members all the time") why not look at those as challenges instead? Things to overcome and find solutions for!

Getting my own established outpost was one of the best things that happened to me on EMC.
  9. Hello I’m planning on making a community smp7 outpost if ur interested in that instead

10. You don't have to go very far out, 13-15k at most... unless you want to and then that's your own fault if it takes forever to build a way back to town. Also, nether rails are so 2015. Horse paths are faster. Ice boat paths even faster and if you are only 15k out it doesn't take long at all, not much resources and totally worth farming ice for a few hours.

Also, your land is protected. It doesn't matter if its just "on paper" the established outpost area is controlled entirely by you. Staff have been very responsive in dealing with any issues I have had at my outpost. The anti-griefing software can be annoying at times but I have not had a single griefing incident since its implementation.

Also, you can still teleport. You just have to use enderpearls :p Shulker boxes got rid of the biggest hassle with having an outpost in my opinion and that was transporting resources to or from your outpost. You had to get a bit creative before and invest quite a bit of time. That is no longer an issue. I once spent about 20 hours over 3 days transporting 73 dcs worth of stuff to town. I could do that now in less than an hour.

One last problem I have with that, you don't have 1500x1500 space you have 750^2*3.14 area.

So not 2,250,000*~251.5=565.9million(depending on bedrock level) blocks but 1,766,250*~251.5 blocks. which comes out to roughly 444.2 million. But you can build past your established outpost limits as long as you don't build on someone else's without their permission.

And if you do choose to do that whole living on the edge of civilization thing going way way out then you really don't have any kind of border whatsoever since you hermits aren't likely to be bothered by anyone that prefers convenience in any sort :p
    M4ster_M1ner and ShelLuser like this.
  11. I'm making a mini base on an island and when I need a supply that I don't have I use the /map to help locate a certain tree or animal that I can bring back and cultivate and breed more of.
  12. Point I was failing to make is that this mini base isn't established and can never be established but I'm having fun making it and I think that is all that matters.
  13. Darn hipsters ;)

Maybe so, but you cannot stop that which you don't notice. And once something is build then you can't just tear it down without consent. As I mentioned: I really don't think this would ever become a major issue, but even so it is a possible con.

Nah, my outpost was one of the first who picked up on that idea: keeping an enderpearl into stasis but the downside is that this causes major lag for the server which is why we tore down the machine, from what I gathered it was at the request of staff too. I suggest you do too. No one wants to lag the server.

Still, beds and some nifty /ps settings can also go a long way.

14. Really though, I have no clue what you are on about with an enderpearl stasis thingy or whatever. Probably best it doesn't get out. The gold farm has summoned SS on several occasions though :oops:
  15. I think that the frontier is a great place to begin creating any builds that you have in mind. As long as you distance yourself from other people's creations, I think that you are good to do whatever you wish. :)
  16. Definitely! I've stop playing Minecraft for long periods of time a few times now, and every time I return I come back to EMC remembering the good times I've had here. Town makes me a bit sad, since the first time I went derelict I lost 4 residences full of stuff, a whole collection of promos, everything I spent a long time making. Won't make that mistake again :oops:. So this time I'm back after playing a bit with some friends on our own server and was enjoying that wild survival building, and so to the frontier I go! Lots of fun having no limits on your building (if your outpost is placed well that is), access to farms, etc, with the added benefit that if I do go derelict again I won't lose everything.
  17. Disadvantage that you cannot make a shop in the wild.
  18. I understand you're asking whether to invest the effort around establishing an outpost when building in the Frontier.
    If you are building just with few close friends or family then it's probably not necessary. I'm part of several projects in the Frontier where only few people that are well known to me participate. We've started long before anti-grief protection and establishing of outposts came into life. We didn't bother to establish outposts because there are currently no problems it would help us solve.

If you plan to invite less then well known friends / family, then I guess it is better to officially establish the outpost.

To add to the above comparisons between the Town and the Frontier - the Frontier is the real Minecraft, no doubts about that - it's definitely worth the effort.

Just if you're used to the town you could miss few things -
    - convenient trading - visit few nearby shops, compare prices, buy and sell
    - vault as a very convenient large storage
    - teleport to places on your residence and to other residences in the town, teleports within shops / malls
    - easily invite (new) people to come to your residence