[ShellVent] Share your top 5 EMC features!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Oct 23, 2016.

1. (or something smaller if that's easier on you)

Hi gang!

Apologies up front, but I'm in my weekend "EMC fanboy mood". Which means so much that right now you can expect stuff like this:

Me: "EMC is totally awesome!"
    NotMe: "Cool, why is that?"
    Me: "Because it is!" <=== Serious issue of fanboy'ism right there :D

Ey, at least I'm honest about it! ;)

Anyway, since many people like top-x charts I figured we could do the same. So... do you have a top 5 (or smaller; top 3 works fine as well, don't be shy!) of your favourite EMC features? If you do: please share!

And obviously.... Yah, sorry, but I did mark this as a ShellVent, obviously I'll go first :)

Shell's Top 5 favourite EMC features

At the time of writing Aya & me are exploring a cave on Utopia and I'm seriously enjoying myself. A vent/rant was in order! Do note: I'm taking "EMC" in the widest range as possible.

#5 - The forums

The forums are a very important part of the "EMC experience" as I like to call it. And I'm not only referring to the cool stuff such as the auctions, the Empire news (and the option to respond to that news, trust me: not everyone allows that!) and / or Jelle68's redstone thread :D (Sorry, I just like redstone and thus threads about it too ;)) but also everything around it. I'm not going to link (for obvious reasons) but I will mention that I deeply respect the fact that "the powers that be" (Empire staff) will also allow players to share their criticism or mishaps (but as always: all within good reason).

But seriously guys... That interaction... I'm pretty sure plenty of us are taking it for granted right now but trust me when I say: it isn't. I've seen too many organizations and/or "other areas" (no, not Minecraft related but still not mentioned to avoid spam) move away from features like this and instead fully rely on "social" media (sorry for the "", I personally consider "social media" to be "commercial media", but let's not get into that here).

Bottom line: With the EMC forums you can make it happen that your friend can PM you, after which you will get a warning about it through e-mail. Effectively making it possible for your friend(s) to "e-mail" you without actually knowing your real e-mail address.

A seriously worthy feature if you ask me, especially when you start thinking what we can do with it.

#4 - Utopia
    Sorry for the blanks, I made this screenshot while my PC was already too busy doing other stuff.

I know: I vented about Utopia before, but yeah. I seriously love Utopia: what it stands for, what it provides and the somewhat specific community.In case you're new: Utopia is the supporter server, check it's official wiki page right here. But here's where it begins to get good: you don't have to be a supporter to enjoy Utopia.

Now... yes, bear with me: the wilderness and wastelands are only accessible to active supporters. True. BUT... What about those cool Utopia residences? 4 times the size of a regular residence (120 x 120 (Utopia) vs. 60 x 60 (SMPx))?

You don't have to be a supporter to visit those! And better yet: the sky is the limit, tap that spacebar twice already and head there already!

And once you got a Utopia residence you won't lose it merely because your supportership ran out. Nope, that's not how the Empire works (this gets so much respect from me). Go derelict, unclaim or (uh oh :eek:) get permanently banned: then things go poof. But otherwise....

Shell's top 3 follows! :eek:

#3 -The compass update

I seriously enjoy the survival aspect of the game: exploration, mining, (not) getting blown up by creepers and (for real:) finding my way back to the outpost ;) And boy, did Aikar do some magic here!

Now, the compass won't protect you from being blown up by creepers but it can seriously help you find your way around. See the picture up there? My compass here points to my bed (spawnpoint). So even if I'm going to get deeper and more lost in this cave (which is bound to happen, Aya & me discovered a massive cave here!) then my compass will point me where I need to go (our mining base).

And more! Once we're done here then only 1 command is enough to make it point back to the outpost: /compass spawn. This will stop my compass from pointing to my bed and instead point its direction to the outpost.

Sure: you can also use /loc and then hit F3 to find some specific coordinates but seriously guys... I sincerely dislike having to watch some stupid numbers just to be sure that I'm going into the right direction.

Yes, I am in my "fanboy mode" right now but I still dare say that in my humble opinion Aikar fixed the useless (vanilla) compass and turned it into something actually usable & totally awesome. Take that Mojang! (you may quote me ;))

PS: Maybe you'll also like my guide on how the compass became totally awesome!

#2 - Supporter vouchers and/or status

I don't only seriously like the supporter vouchers for what they provide you with, when thinking things over and also keeping Mojang's new EULA in mind (and trying to 'crack' that on the vouchers) I cannot help conclude that "our" vouchers ("our", because I also got several in storage at the time of writing) are seriously more honest than some of the other stuff out there.

In my opinion of course, sure, but please let me have my fanboy moment ;)

Look guys... If you become supporter to get that extra residence (gold or up) and then it expires after a month then Empire Minecraft is not the kind of el-cheapo server which then also takes away your stuff. Nope, that's not how we do things on the Empire. Instead you get to keep your residences and get to enjoy them. Even if it's on Utopia (="supporter server") and you're a quartz supporter (I love that comment / description!).

Don't believe me? Why should you! Check this official wiki page!

I think supporter vouchers are awesome (I always like to collect on them a bit and keep some in my storage for later use) but I also think the supporter period as a whole is awesome. Chatting outside town, optionally extra residences (gold & up) and less restrictions on other features like /stable, /vault purchase support and named residence locations.

Most of all I think it's honest. Which, quite frankly, is what matters most to me. Sure: I will miss not being able to chat outside down when my support period ends. But honestly guys? Is that really something you need to go out mining?

True story (seriously): I even turned off town chat a few times during mining while I was a supporter :D

<drumroll please>
    This one is my favourite by far. As we probably all know the Frontier is the non-resetting world, anything you build here will face the destiny of time because this world does. not reset. Yeah, but what about them griefers?

Well, if you click the picture above you'll access the wiki page which will explain exactly how this whole thing works. I also wrote a guide myself (warning: at the time of writing this guide is in need of an update, it'll come soon!)

Unlike other servers ("those we do not speak off") Empire Minecraft does not provide land claiming. Because... Oh, ok, you caught me: this is just my idea about the whole thing and not an official statement.

But having that out of the way: on the Empire you don't claim land, you claim blocks. Every (specific) block you place is automatically protected. If you need more then /buildmode is but one command away after which everything you place (in the Frontier!) is protected. On the Empire you don't claim land, you claim builds. Turn on buildmode, actually build your stuff and your creation will be protected from griefing.

Is this option perfect? Of course it's not. No feature is in my opinion.

But I honestly think it sits very close. You can even start something with another player and each have your own protected space without the help of staff or other players.

And there you have it ;)

Now, if you'll excuse me: I need to head back to my Utopian mine, Aya is complaining about me being afk for more than an hour :eek:

(sorry, sorry, sorry!!).
    DufnePoodle likes this.
  2. "Upporter vouchers"
    And I see I have some opinion thread competition :p
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. Here are my top 3. Since the title of the thread is [Shellvent], we should make our posts really long, right? :D

Flags(Residence).
    Not country flags! This is about the empire. (I couldn't get a pic of res flags, so I just found a random one. ;)) Flags are really cool. If you don't know what flags are, for those noobies.. Check the wiki. Anyway, flags are used for protection against other players, or your friends. For example, you can do /res pset RunderK move false. Now those players, can't enter your residence! Brilliant. If someone is spamming annoying fireworks on your res, guess what? You can stop them, without mods! Use flags. /res pset ShelLuser use,firework false. If everyone on emc is spamming fireworks, (very unlikely btw.. ;)) You just make it shorter. /res set use,firework false. Flags are amazing. Flags are life. If you are really creative, you could make custom events with flags. You just need amazing imagination.. For example, if you want strange gravity on your res, well, now you can! /res set flow false. Now liquids will just hover in the air and do nothing! :D If you feel evil today and want to destroy player's perms, you can do that too... (I don't know why thou.. xD) Just set everything to false. :p Flags are duh, one of the best additions.

Promos.
    Promos are also very, very, very important. One of the best items in minecraft. You will find things that never existed in minecraft! For example, the meteor bow: shoots fireworks from a bow. So, literally, you could raid someone's house with meter bow's and lagging them out. I don't have experience with that.. :cool: Completed a huge 14residence build? You have to celebrate with a meteor bow. It is one of the best promos. Another amazing promo is the cupid bow. Cupid Bow shoots arrows made of love, generating hearts above a player. We all have experience near *cough* Chin *Cough* someone... :p I think the hearts work on animals too! Just the hearts.. Promos are really fun to collect. So much promos, like ESCD, the Christmas reindeer, b-day cakes, haunted head, labor bench, pot of gold, etc. LOTS! Go collect them now or look at the wiki. :p

The Forums.
    (lol, I just used Shel's pic).. Seriously, what are you one right now? The forums!!!!! The forums add a unique experience to minecraft and emc. You can share your creations, youtube videos, promo collections, gaming videos, etc. You can also get help from lots of helpful players. Or you can spam PM Shel... :p If you have any problems with res flags or the wild, just ask here. Most likely, someone will know the answer. With the forums, you also meet a lot of people. Really. It enhances your gaming experience. Without the forums, I would know no one lol. A lot of organizations appear out in the forums as well. We have the PWU, FCC, GRIP, +Deco, etc. Lots of cool organizations to join. Make sure you look at all of those. ;) The only negative thing about the forums: auctions. Man, I can't stand those threads. Literally, I could make a whole thread arguing over horrible auctions. Maybe later though. But, you definitely want to stick around for the forums. Some players just stick with forums, not in-game. The forums are the best. :D
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. Yeah, I hope the staff won't get mad at me for accidentally spoiling the next big thing, Upporters are going to become a pretty big thing someday (in the long, distant future, like 50 years or so :D).

Anyway, I noticed more nasty issues. That's what happens if you start ranting in the middle of a mining session (which isn't even done yet :eek:).

Definitely, that gets you bonus points!! :cool:

But short posts are also welcome :)
  5. Let's also post mine :)

Our amazing ShelLuser :)
    sorry everyone, but I didn't have a 5, so I thought, let's pick the most annoing "thing" on EMC.

Ruppees.
    they seem so normal to me, but it really helps having something you pay with, this is the only server I know that has curency at this way, and I really love it, you can earn it, to spend after that on useless projects, you can hoard it, there is about nothing you can't do with it on EMC.

Just as some other said, the forums are great, it's something that really belongs to the Empire minecraft, I know about all servers have them, but not as active as here, and, not as great as here.

Residences.
    They are awesome, great, and amazing, You can't have too much of them, build annything you want if you have enough, and give flags to the persons you want to have flags, this is the original reason I said on EMC, because I wern't greifed, and did have enough space to build what I want.

The comunity
    or isn't this a Empire feature? It's uniqe annyway...

(I know there ios baout nothing in those spoilers, I'm just very bad at typing much I guess...)
  6. (bump) We need more long posts.. ;)