Shell's quest for more money! :)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Hi gang!

So 2 days ago I went bankrupt :eek:

And here we are today, already a solid 3k back up. I know I didn't do much for it, but that's also just the first point of this thread: see what you can grab by merely keeping a voting streak up?

But yeah... A few weeks ago I got a dare, because I often kept talking about how I don't really care all that much about rupees. So people dared me to try and start from scratch to see how this would affect me. Well, it doesn't really because I hardly spent any rupees to begin with.

However, it also gave me an idea for a fun challenge: right now I have a (just for fun) bet that I won't be able to get myself a gold voucher in-game within 2 months time. So: try to raise enough money for buying a gold support voucher before the end of November.

So I figured why not share some of the things I'm going to do in order to make some extra cash? Might become a fun read and who knows, it might even give you (random reader) some ideas as well.

First step: Mining

At this point I wasn't really prepared for keeping up some "sporadic Minecraft blog" otherwise I would have pressed F2 a whole lot more :p

But...

Nether mining. Even though the wasteland has been around for a while already it's amazing to see what kind of stuff you can still dig up. The trick which I'm using is to go where no one has seemingly gone before ;)

See the screenshot above? That's only 400 blocks (approx.) away from the outpost, it is literally just around the corner. So: a little more to the right and then across the huge lava lake.

I dug up 6.5 stacks of quartz and 40 glowstone lamps within not much longer than 20 - 30 minutes, and the only reason I found those (I think) was because of said lava lake. I started making a long and wide cobblestone bridge so that I could easily get across, and then it turned out that the area beyond the lava lake wasn't dug out yet.

Therefor the first tip of the thread: don't avoid obstacles (like this lava lake) but take 'm on instead (like building a bridge):

Sure, this will cost you a lot of cobblestone. But the 'reward' is getting your hands on a lot of other items in return.

Well, so much for part 1.

Maybe see you around for part 2 :)
    Tah2, cubefragment, 607 and 9 others like this.
  2. Fun fun ! Cant wait fir moaaare
    cubefragment likes this.
  3. It is amazing how much stuff you can find and how close. (if you ever want my take on why this is, just ask! ...and its not purely based on reset being to often) If I may suggest an alternative if you are willing to take it on while you are doing your nether exploring is once you have to go to far, go back near spawn. Rather than than going a long way away, just simply start tunneling as you would in the overworld when looking for diamonds. This works 3 fold for you, 1) you don't have to travel far to get home or to the dig site, 2) you will find a good amount of crystal and 3) you can take the netherrack and bake it to get netherbrick which is a good selling product. Since you are playing in the nether, grab some buckets, make an auto cooking furnace set up and lava to make up your netherbrick.

Yucky solid response!
    ChespinLover77, cubefragment and 607 like this.
  4. You also can do it the Jelly way: Wait untill someone shoots a PM asking you to build a new extremly large, fancy etc. building, and try to compleat that before the next one comes along, it's a quite easy way of getting ruppees I think :p
    cubefragment, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  5. A way to make sure you're rollin in rupees is to not buy things or give them away. lol, that's why I'm always broke...
    cubefragment likes this.
  6. True. I don't buy anything nowadays, and I don't donate as much anymore either, it seems like... my rupees keep piling up, it might be a problem. :p
    cubefragment and ShelLuser like this.
  7. Shell's first day at "work"

Hi gang!

SO apparently you guys like this, I have to admit being a bit surprised ;)

Now, I'm not going to post every day but I will post updates whenever there's something worth sharing. And what do you know... I think my first day is definitely worth sharing because I've made some pretty solid progress:

From 3k to 30k, not too shabby :)

It all started when MrCDub was looking for wither skeleton skulls. It just so happens that I had some in my /vault, Aya and me planned on fighting the wither "someday" but in the mean time the skulls keep stacking up and we keep forgetting all about 'm. And as you know: I need money ;)

And uh, oh, I just noticed that I've paid Aya not enough :oops:. That was supposed to be a 3k payment, not 2k. Stupid. :confused:. Fortunately I'll still be at 30k so no need to cancel this entire post :D

Now, this was a lucky break but I still needed a way to start making money. So, I set out to work...

One session worth of digging, voter shovel FTW!

Fun fact: up until now I only bought stuff at /v +bulk on SMP8. So it was a pleasant surprise to learn that they also allow us players to sell them stuff. And I was just looking at one DC of sand.

And this is also a perfect example why I appreciate /v +bulk (and why I'm now 'advertising'): they really try to run a fair business (or I discovered an oversight but I doubt it ;) ). See: I was thinking about smelting my DC of sand into glass and then trying to sell the glass somewhere. But as it turns out it didn't make much difference for them if you sold 'm glass or sand.

Which effectively saves me money. Because now I don't have to invest in time & fuel in order to smelt the whole thing. So now that I saved myself some time I figured I could use that to write this post :)

Therefor this post was indirectly sponsored by /v +bulk on SMP8! :D Now in stock: a solid amount of sand! :p

And that concludes my first day.... I wonder how long it'll take me to reach 64k which is going to be my next milestone target.

(edit):

I think that would be a dangerous thing for me to do. Considering my "building skills" I wouldn't be surprised if they'd demanded that I paid them for damages instead of paying me :D
  8. Keep it up ShelLuser :), at some point I need to do something like this, to get perm protection voucher. :p
    ChespinLover77, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  9. You can buy a perm voucher?
  10. You can buy in-game from players that are selling it. The price is usually 2Mill + if you want one.
    ShelLuser, ChespinLover77 and 607 like this.
  11. I made 1000r on /utopia /v klonedinc in 15 minutes by buying pumpkins and melons, selling them to the villagers there, and selling the emeralds back to klonedinc
    ShelLuser and ChespinLover77 like this.
  12. That’s pretty good!
  13. For diamond gold or iron?
  14. For any player that wants to have permanent protection against dereliction. Any player can get it for any price the seller is willing to let it go for.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  15. As of Sunday before voting I had just over 2k. That was was 4 days ago. With a little knowledge on what auctions do well in and what's easily obtainable I made 50k pretty quick. Also being able sell very hot items (Enchanted stuff) it doesn't take long to build up fast. Getting enchanted gear is a matter of trading with villagers to emeralds, using emeralds for books or using the exp from trading to enchantment tables for books. You can trade almost anything farm related, pumpkins, wheat, carrots etc, even rotten flesh. You would be surprised how fast even low to mid range enchanted tools, armour, weapons will sell. Even the books alone can get you quite a bit. I made 7k in a matter of 15 mins selling just books.

Going broke means you get smarter on what you want to sell. No I did not sell any promos, rares or valuable block (Quartz). Just hot items, reg clay, Stone brick, Red brick block. etc. Yes you have to work and grind to make r but that only teaches you what you can achieve in real life as well.

Here is proof that Sunday I was at 2.7k and todays R value is 125k. Yes, that's correct, I made 120k in 4 days by selling what players want. That doesn't include the 2k I earned by voting.

TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  16. Go big or go home.
  17. Merek.....

Going broke and making it back quick all on simple *In Demand* sales.