Shell's PWU tour & review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ShelLuser, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Hi gang!

Editorial

It's been a while... this is something I planned to do for a long time but never could get around actually doing. And well, while I was touring SMP8 earlier today I figured I'd snap a few pictures to see what might come of all that. Well, here ya go!

I'm sure most veteran players already know about PWU and you might even wonder why I would bother to write all of this? Well, maybe we (= you (random veteran reader) & me) already know all about this but I can't help be convinced that there are plenty of new(er) players out there who might not know about this awesome project as of yet.

SO....

Public Wild Utilities

Ever had the problem that you wanted to enchant or repair a sword but you don't have enough XP to make that work? Or maybe you want some extra sea lanterns or gold, but unfortunately you don't have enough rupees to buy stuff and you also don't really know where to get any of this in the wastelands.

Fortunately there's a solution for your problems and it's called PWU, located on SMP8! PWU stands for Public Wild Utilities and its name comes from the fact that all of these facilities are located in the wild(erness), aka Frontier. And they're publically accessible, so: PWU.

What's this all about you wonder? Easy: public farms, grinders and generators for just about everything you can imagine. Are you in need of gold and XP? Then Pigmentus (= gold farm using zombie pigmen) is the perfect solution. Just go and kil pigmen, grab the gold they drop (remember that you can craft gold nuggets into ingots & blocks!) and you'll automatically be rewarded with plenty of XP.

Or maybe you want some monument items to make sea lanterns? Also not a problem: just head over to Sushi drop and your rewards will be dropping from the sky, quite literally ;)

Sounds good? Then go on to /wild n on SMP8, then head north and you'll see the building in my screenshot above. This is the official entrance to everything that PWU has to offer, and trust me: there's a lot to explore and discover here!

So before you head out make sure that you brought enough food as well as some weapons to defend yourself in case some creepy crawlers (zombies or skeletons) manage to find you! If you forgot to bring any food then don't worry about it, just step through the nether portal and you'll find a public farm behind it where you can grab some wheat (to make bread):

Be sure to always replant!

The nether hub

Once you went into the nether portal you'll be taken to the nether (mr. Obvious speaks! :rolleyes:) but don't worry: you don't have to dig through a lot of netherrack or any of that. Nope, here you'll find options to quickly reach any build which PWU has to offer. You can either use a mine cart and enjoy a quick ride, or you can grab a boat and use the ice ways to really speed things up!

Picture courtesy of Aya...

After a short ride you'll find another nether portal to get back to the overworld where you'll soon discover a huge area where it's literally raining fish!

Sushi drop

Talk about an impressive build, eh?

As you can see there are guardians falling all over the place and once they drop dead they also drop some loot, usually prismarine crystals and shards, together with some optional fish of course. So what can you do with those shards and crystals? Easy, do some crafting of course:

Note: this screenshot was taken in my redstone world, not on EMC :)

And thanks to the 'new' (now pretty common) recipe book it's extremely easy to do some mass crafting! Also don't forget that you can even craft dark prismarine by adding some ink sacks.

Pigmentus

Pigmentus is one of the largest gold farms on the Empire. Fun fact: during its early stages it even managed to put the entire SMP8 server to a grinding halt because of a major lag spike! :eek: This is also one of the reasons why it is not allowed to go AFK near Pigmentus: in order to prevent an excess of pigmen from spawning which can cause problems for the rest.

Fortunately there's also no need to go AFK, you don't have enough time to do that anyway because normally those pigmen will keep dropping and dropping and killing them will fill up your inventory with a lot of stuff really quick:

Aya going for the gold ;)

And the best part? If you're with some friends then they can also share your XP if you let them. Just start a new group (/invite other players) and make sure to leave XP sharing turned on (noticed that I also got 5 levels, even though I hardly visit SMP8?).

....To be continued!

And this concludes part one. Unfortunately something came up which prevents me from finishing my post, but I'm also too impatient to postpone posting it ;) In the next part we're going to look into the "secret" railway system (it's not really a secret, but thanks to the nether hub it's much faster & easier to use that if you want to visit the other utilities) and check up on some more PWU utilities!
    Egeau, Kephras, MoreMoople and 5 others like this.
  2. I somehow never saw this thread till just now. d'awww <3 Thanks Shell!
    Egeau, Kephras, ShelLuser and 3 others like this.
  3. You can never go wrong with PWU at all :p
    ShelLuser, Kephras and khixan like this.
  4. Don't tell anyone but I forgot all about it as well... seems I promised a sequel, uh oh ;)
    607, SkeleTin007 and Kephras like this.
  5. Nice to see you posting ShelLuser~
    607, ShelLuser and Kephras like this.