Shell's EMC modpack (unofficial)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Mar 19, 2017.

?

Like the modpack so far?

Yes. 8 vote(s) 80.0%
I guess. 1 vote(s) 10.0%
No. 1 vote(s) 10.0%
  1. Hi gang!

As most of you may know I normally play on the Empire with a vanilla+ client, the only additions I'm using are OptiFine and the Lithos:Core resourcepack. However... I've also collected a few mods which I like to use on the Empire from time to time, one of those being WorldDownloader which allows me to make a backup copy of my residences.

Now, with all due respect, I couldn't help notice that there are a decent amount of players who found themselves getting banned for using illegal mods. My opinion is simple: I don't think it's unreasonable for staff to expect us players to be careful with mods. Especially considering how EMC profiles itself as "vanilla+" (I know of servers which don't allow the usage of any mods at all).

When in doubt check the mods overview page or ask a staff member.

But it also got me thinking. Surely there should be something I could do to try and help out a little bit?

Well, let's see where this gets us...

Introducing ShelLuser's EMC modpack

All pictures are courtesy of AyanamiKun who also tested the whole thing ;)

What is this?

This is a collection of mods which we're allowed to use on the Empire. If you install this modpack then you don't have to worry about you finding yourself on the bad side of a staff member for using illegal mods. Of course provided that you didn't use this in combination with some illegal mods ;)

I only included mods which are fully legal (no strings attached) and which I think best reflect on the Empire gameplay ("vanilla+"). Therefor you won't find mods such as InventoryTweaks or key/macro mods in this pack.

What's included

(excluding mentioning of required library mods)
    • Just Enough Items
    • OptiFine
    • Crafting Tweaks
    • Durability Show
    • Light Level Overlay reloaded
    • MorePlayerModels
    • Schematica
    • WorldEdit forge edition
    • Voxelmap
    • Tabbychat 2
    • World downloader
    • WorldEditCUI
    You might notice some mods which are not included on EMC's allowed mods page but instead on their list of incompatible mods. Most notably WorldEdit and WorldEditCUI. Unless you're senior staff you won't have much use for these mods on the Empire, but still very much so in singleplayer. I included these because they could help you build something in singleplayer creative, which you can then "ghost copy" with Schematica so that you can manually rebuild it on the Empire.

Aya the polarbear invades my shop! :eek:

The above was done courtesy of MorePlayerModels but keep in mind that you won't be able to share the fun here ;) You can try out different skins and apply tweaks on those skins but these won't be seen by other players.

How to get the modpack

Now we're going to get a little more official...

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA256

You can download the modpack from my website: http://catslair.org/emcmodpack

You'll find both a ZIP and RAR archive to be available, personally I recommend the RAR file because it contains an archive signature, but the ZIP will also do. You will also see a file which contains the SHA256 checksums for both archives (this can help you check that the files haven't been tampered with) as well as an .asc file. This is my OpenPGP signature for the checksum file. This allows you to verify that the signature file hasn't been tampered with.

Anyone can fake a signature file, but you can't fake my OpenPGP ("GnuPG") key.

My OpenPGP key: http://catslair.org/shelluser.asc, ID AEA05348.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJYzoGSAAoJEGslLgmuoFNISTUH/3XYlivto/B7kAzBNEeWIivs
    5mP2flzXmmDyP+Z2SuSG9sJDAd4hpBF6eN2P1owoQPL5o7bh1V8n8xzgKunkg9j1
    GgTqf3zHAbfQ4/q0lMfzyyc8msThy8W4bVI0cEXcIU6/Ic1Pi+D683YZWJXdgt6J
    QlvHQH7y9Mo6LQVUkjE5vO6b+xsl9XXdsNj5fnfgZHEgw7gADVgg4obkOeRXg2O4
    8DPckSOInROPUZe6aEIBhdpcpcvs8JnYTodg647r+Ddte7y3pGK3qQAPsRUQZ848
    KKQyHEnaDdMIAqAMdJxx11q6WGiMufeEdxOVCVllPdf3SYf/CAhsZ7ZfojcGutM=
    =3bVC
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

What's up with that crypto stuff all of a sudden?

Security.

This will allow you to ensure that the above stuff actually came from me and that it hasn't been tampered with by anyone.

Here's the thing: how much fun would it be for a troll to copy this modpack, add some illegal mods to it and then try to spread that around so that players might pick it up, maybe recognize my name and with that consider it to be safe. ...only to end up getting banned for usage of illegal mods.

Therefor: re-distribution of this modpack is not allowed. And the only legit place to download this (at the time of writing) is my website mentioned above.

This is also why you'll find SHA256 checksums for all the included mods in the README which is inside the modpack.

If you want to learn more about using all this then I'd advice you to check out the OpenPGP website. As you might guess I'm a rather motivated user, I've been using (Open)PGP since 1994. There is software available for all platforms, from Windows and Mac right down to Linux and BSD.

How do I use/install this?

For now I'd recommend to check the included README file. It has installation instructions and also points to all the websites of the individual mods so you can get more information on them.

If this catches on a bit I might follow up with a more thorough tutorial, but not before I know that this stuff is actually being used a bit.

Thanks for reading, see you around!
    607, Tuqueque, cubefragment and 4 others like this.
  2. ShelLuser likes this.
  3. Im def gonna try this, if my crappy laptop can handle it hehe.
    But it looks good!
  4. This sounds awesome. I want to install this, but my MC 'files' aren't working. Really weird.
  5. Seems legit. SkareC Approves. +1
    ShelLuser likes this.
  6. Bump for the bump (or the attention); you'll be the judge ;)

Considering the amount of downloads I am preparing to follow up and write up a tutorial. I'm also working on making the download section / page look a bit nicer where the emphasis will be fully on Empire Minecraft (because I love this server and it's the only one I play on).

That won't be happening anytime soon though (at most within 2 weeks) because work caught up to me and yah.. Right now is basically the first time I get to play this week (and also feel like playing, important detail).
  7. A little bump, and a little status update....

Code:
    breve:/var/log/httpd $ bzgrep modpack_v1.2 catslair.org_log* |wc -l

19 downloads isn't bad at all I think, so I decided that I'll also write up a bit of a tutorial to explain how you can get the best out of this modpack. Expect that to come "soon" (can't give estimates, right now my first priority is a fun "guide / story / comparison" on Voters gear vs. God gear).

In the mean time: bump :) and thanks for the comments so far guys, I appreciate all the feedback I got!
    607 likes this.
  8. Advertisement:

Please consider adding my EMC Shop Locator plugin (https://mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/262417-emc-shop-locator) to the modpack. I made it especially for EMC, and it's on the list of officially approved mods.

Several people have told me they find it very useful (and I think the same, of course, as it's my own mod), and given the amount of people who switch servers only to ask "Anyone sell <whatever>", more people could benefit from it.
    607, ShelLuser and Tuqueque like this.
  9. Sounds like a plan to me. I just downloaded the plugin, will test it out later this week and let you know about my findings. My main concerns are that it needs to be compatible with the rest of the mods I'm using and that it won't be too overpowered. Judging from what I've read so far I don't think the last applies because we're talking about town and town-game is per definition more advanced than vanilla. So no problems there.

Interesting. I already found your other plugin (I think that's yours?) so why not :)
    607 likes this.
  10. Wouldn't it be easier to use technic launcher or some other modpack creator so that its just a click to install?
    PenguinDJ and Tbird1128 like this.