Share Your Favorite Songs With Impulsive Egg

Discussion in 'The Jukebox' started by Impulsive_Egg, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Hello friends!
    I'm always looking for new music to listen to, whether they're for long car rides, cranking out art, or getting into the writing mood.
    This thread is meant for you to gush about your favorite songs, and I'll listen to them and give my honest feedback! You can share anything from movie scores to video game music, songs that have a lot of personal meaning to you to music you've composed/played yourself!

When sharing the songs, please tell me what they mean to you, whether you like them because of the lyrics or the sound (or both!), and how you discovered them or what inspired you to play/compose them!

I have a few limits to what I can listen to, however:
    • I'd prefer it if the songs were around 6 minutes or under
    • No 21st century country music (please) (The fake country accents bother me too much)
    • No screamo or heavy metal (sensory issues)
    • No dubstep (sensory issues)
    • Not a fan of Nightcore
    Share away! I look forward to getting to know you through your favorite songs!
    607, __Devil_, DaybreakerMC and 2 others like this.

2. There are more songs but I need to work lol
    Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  3. I used to listen to heavy metal and just about all rock n roll but lately I prefer upbeat "dance" songs. I can't dance, the connection between what my brain visualizes what moves my limbs should make and what my limbs do just isn't there. So, I listen to the music purely for rhythm to keep happy.

Here are a few of the songs I enjoy listening to:
    The Killers - All these things that I've done
    Young the Giant - My body
    Pulp - Common people

You might consider this next one country but it is classified as indie pop.
    Brandi Carlisle - Raise Hell
  4. I liked the bass, but the synth was a little too wavy for my ears if that makes sense. Still a good dance beat tho!

1) All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
    This totally seems like a song I'd show my mom. It kinda reminds me of the Beatles in certain parts of it. I like the tempo, and the "I got a soul but I'm not a soldier" part was dope. Added to my Spotify!
    2) My Body - Young the Giant
    Right off the bat it's a little funky with the bass and then it turns into something much more upbeat, and I like it! It's driving music to me. Added to my Spotify!
    3) Common People - Pulp
    Not a fan of the whispery voice, but I like that it gets loud and emotional at the chorus. The instrumentals are nice, and I kind of understand the lyrics (lyrics are not really my forte when it comes to enjoying music. I'm more of an instrumental kinda guy)
    4) Raise Hell - Brandi Carlisle
    First of all, this is more indie folk than country. second of all, I love Brandi Carlisle, she has a great voice. Third of all, being someone who was raised with folk music, this is absolutely right up my alley. I'm in love with it! Added to my Spotify!
    607 and farmerguyson like this.
  5. I first heard Brandi Carlisle's The Story on a PBS station as background music during a fund drive commercial. They didn't post credits so I spent a few days figuring out who sang that song. It is a very powerful song and that led me to all of their other songs. I have all of their albums, CD's, now.
  6. It's my time to shine ~!

1.) "Eight" By: Sleeping At Last - The way the sound plays out with the mood of the lyrics is a masterpiece to me. In my opinion it paints a very amazing picture. Plus, the lyrics themselves are highly powerful and I relate to them pretty heavily.

2.) "Them Dirty Bones" By: Mike Waters - The guitar makes my ears VERY happy. The lyrics are also quite nice! This song always elevates my mood and makes me smile. :)

3.) "Galaxies" By: Owl City - I know for an absolute 100% fact you already know this one. It's just another song that always makes me quite happy!

Bonus: "Pompeii" By: Bastille - This one is kinda basic, but the lyrics hit close for me. Plus, this song got me through my mom getting sick for the second time. "And if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like you've been here before?"
  7. Okay, so, I'm a bit of a music nerd...
    Don't be scared by the long post: there is a reason there are so many songs there :p

Some of my favourite music is written by Melody Gardot, she is a classical pianist turned jazz vocalist who sometimes writes songs too. Everything she puts out is just perfected to such an absurd degree, using all sorts of sounds to get the right overall picture. My favourite album of hers would be her latest, from 2015, The Currency of Man, which talks about social issues with a rock-jazz sound. I guess I'll share what is effectivly the title song of that album, It Gonna Come:

You talked about accents: She is from Philadelphia, but has a slight Frensh accent because she lived in Paris for most of her life.
    I guess the main reason why you could be interested is because she has auditory problems. She has the exact same as I have: general hypersensitiveness. I don't know what you mean with "sensetory issues," but you might just have the exact same problem, which would be great, as she mixes her music so it sounds good to her, meaning it is written for people with these problems :)

Anyway, you did still say no music from after 2000, so I guess I have to find something else too :rolleyes:
    Most of the music I listen to is jazz from the early 2000s, so it's going to be harder than you might think :p
    I guess that would bring me to Terry Callier: A Jazz-folk vocalist who started in the late 60s who still writes new music to this day. He has written some absurdly good music, which, for the most time, had a small but dedicated following. His lyrics are usually quite spiritual, quite a lot of them talking about how all humans are all the same, and how wierd it is that most people don't act like that. I don't like all the music he writes, jet, some songs, especially the ones that are more jazz-classical than jazz-folk, I find absolutely amazing, so, here is Dancing Girl, from his 1973 album What Color Is Love:

One problem though: you asked for songs 6 minutes or under, and this one is more than 9....
    I have another idea: The Blues / Jazz / Rock & Roll band Morphine, founded in the early 90s. They mainly played bare-bones rock, with only drums, bass, saxephone and vocals, but their 1993 album Good has another song on it, called You Look Like Rain, which is the Carless Whisper of Jazz. (Or, let's be honest, that's the 1998 Moon Safari album by Air)

You'd think I'd be done, wouldn't you? :p

But, as some might know: I actually mostly listen to classical music nowadays, and most of my favourite music is classical. Thing is: Classical pieces aren't songs...
    Or, well, technically the term "song" can be used to describe a piece that has an A-B-A' structure, which, luckly enough, one of my favourite pieces, Rachmaninoff's Op. 3 No. 1, has. This piece is from 1891, which is, last I checked, from before 2000 and most recordings are roughly five minutes long, which makes it fit all our catagories. Aditionally, there is this amazing recording of it, by Sheku and Isata Kanneh-Mason, brother and sister. It blew my socks off first time I heard it. It's normally a solo piano piece (which I have even learned to play myself,) but it's just so much more lyrical on cello with piano acompiement.

Anyway, if you're interested in my most honest answer to the question "What piece of music do you find yourself listening to the most as of late?" It would be ხატია ბუნიათიშვილი's aka Khatia Buniatishvili's interpretation of Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto:

I really quite love her interpretations. I usually find the second piano concerto a bit overplayed, but she, adding some parts, removing others, in a way most classical critics find quite sacreligious, gives it, and quite a lot other pieces, a new flair for me.

Anyway... I hope that was enough? :rolleyes:
    DaybreakerMC likes this.
  8. 1) Eight - Sleeping At Last
    Very choppy and uneven, it doesn't flow well for me. I like the vocals tho. I forgot to listen to the lyrics lol
    I know you love Sleeping At Last but I couldn't ever get into them
    2) Them Dirty Bones - Mike Waters
    You have definitely tried to get me to listen to this song many a time and, bea, I love you, but man that voice is obnoxious. Still I hear it and it reminds me of you.
    3) Galaxies - Owl City
    Yes it is 2020 and I am still a classic Owl City nerd. This is honestly one of my least favorite songs of his only because the religious part of it kind of makes me uncomfortable, but you bet your life I'll still jam out to it every now and then. Already in my library
    4) Pompeii - Bastille
    It might be basic but it's still a pretty powerful song. Personally I think it goes up right with Things We Lost In The Fire by the same band. Already in my library.

That was plenty, thank you!
    1) It Gonna Come - Melody Gardot
    This is definitely very very nice and unique. Jazz is always a good genre. No rules, no limits, really. I love the vocals and the calm jazzy tone of it. Again I forgot to listen to the lyrics lol. When I talk about sensory issues I mean that in certain genres like dubstep and heavy metal, the complexity of sound becomes overwhelming for me (I am autistic) This one has been added to my spotify library!
    2) Dancing Girl - Terry Callier
    This is pretty slow and kind of dark, if that even is the right word. Not my kind of music, and I definitely did not listen to the whole thing as my attention span is not very big. I do understand the spiritual parts of it, though. I love that kind of ambiguity. (Also, I just said no country music from the 2000s. Everything else is fine.)
    3) You Look Like Rain - Morphine
    smooooooooth jaaaaaaazzzzz
    4) Rachmaninoff Op. 3 No. 1
    I think this particular video you shared with me was nice. All bow/string instruments like the cello are melody instruments, so I definitely understand the "lyrical" aspect of it. It does work very well and these siblings did a great job. Classical music just isn't my kind of thing, however.
    5) naaaah.... I'm not watching that.... too many bad memories of symphony orchestra. being forced to go to those once a year every year as a kid with undiagnosed autism and ADHD was absolute hell
    Egeau likes this.
  9. 1) Carry The Zero - Built to Spill
    This is definitely one of those "My emotions are in the electric guitar instead of the lyrics" kind of songs, and I respect that. It's kind of monotone to me, but that might just be the style. If I were into it, I'd probably sing it at the top of my lungs in the shower
    2) Nobody - Mitski
    YEESSSSS MITSKI!!! My best friend loves this band and I love a couple of their songs like Strawberry Blonde and Francis Forever. It's definitely a sad and kind of unnerving song, but it was meant that way and I like it. The music video: also unnerving. But that's art.
    3) Sun In An Empty Room - The Weakerthans
    This one's also kind of sad... Are you okay man?
    naMrorriM likes this.
  10. I've been listening to a wide range of music recently nothing to specific :oops: However...

Favorite band of all time Green Day - Highly recommend anything off of their Warning Album :eek:
    Been listening to Green Day for a long time! Green Day was my 1st concert on my 18th Bday :D

Favorite modern day "singer" YUNGBLUD or Machine Gun Kelly (Caution for Explicit Lyrics) Also YUNGBLUD is NOT mumble rap like I was expecting when I clicked on a recommended music video ;)
    YUNGBLUD I highly recommend Loner, Hope for the underrated youth, and Original Me Ft Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons
    Machine Gun Kelly I'm not the biggest fan of "most" of his Rap Music but his recent Punk Rock Songs are pretty great him and Travis Barker did some stuff together (Travis being the drummer of Blink 182)

I know you said no modern country but should 100% Look up Ryan Upchurch... super controversial dude but produces some
    amazing music even his "Country Rap" music is pretty good. One of the only Country Rap songs I listen to of his is Hillbilly but favorite country songs of his Hollerboys and Everlasting Country! He is one of those for sure NOT FAKE Country Boys!

Also gotta go with some Alice In Chains or Pearl Jam if you're into that stuff I personally LOVE the song Would? Layne Staley is by far one of my favorite voices of the 90's. Along with AIC theres Black and Jeremy by Pearl Jam my two go too's for the band.

I've also been listening to some Chris Cornell recently. I highly recommend Like a Stone - Audioslave or Hunger Strike - Temple of the Dog which is Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell together.

If you can handle it I recommend looking up Toni Cornell cover songs She's done quite a few and is only 15 years old (I think at the time of writing this) She is Chris's daughter and has an amazing voice!

If you want an interesting story behind a song I highly recommend looking up Staind - Outside. To make a long story short Fred Durst got Aaron Lewis to sing a song on stage for a concert for Limp Bizkit and Aaron Lewis only had a chord progression and a chorus. Everything else in that song is improvised!

I think... I've written enough here if you can't tell I LOVE almost all music
    Impulsive_Egg and DaybreakerMC like this.
  11. Oh lord I need to make a youtube or spotify playlist or both

I'll get back to you
  12. Ooh (short), exciting!
    And wow, you're looking for such a variety of songs!
    I'll try to find one in each category. :D

Favourite piece of film music:
    Yann Tiersen - Goodbye Lenin - Goodbye Lenin (this one's on spotify!)
    I first watched this film in German class. I was stunned during this scene. The film is very good, but it was the soundtrack that really got me here... it starts out with delicate piano sounds, which are lovely, and a great prelude to the main part of the song... which is very repetitive, but I love that, because it lets you focus on the building of intensity! When the scene ended the class was over and the teacher paused the film, but I could not get up to go to the next class, I was that stunned... I've listened to the track over 30 times now, but it still gets to me every time. I also love the ending. :)

One of my favourite pieces of video game music:
    Asuka Ota and/or Ryo Nagamatsu - Mario Kart Wii - Credits 1 & 2
    I think I first heard these themes while actually playing the game. You get to see the credits after beating the Lightning Cup or the Special Cup, if I recall correctly, both being very hard. The first part of it lets you relax and recover your nerves. Then the second part invites you to turn up the volume and rock out to one of the most satisfying pieces of music ever created!! :D It's perfect. :)

Song that has a lot of personal meaning to me:
    Michelle Heafy feat. DonutDrums - Cover from Earthbound/Mother - Pollyanna (on YouTube)
    There are not many songs that have particular personal meaning to me, other than songs that I just really like. But this song has motivated me at some tough moments. :) I'm sure I have a comment about it somewhere on the video, but the video has almost 1500 comments. :eek: I don't even know the original video game soundtrack this comes from, but I love this cover. :)

Favourite song that I have composed:
    607 - Lux Environments - Frost, Fright and Fairies
    This is part of a series in which I imagine environments that one might find in video games and try to picture the setting or tell a story that might take place there. This is the most story-like one of them so far: it tells the story of a man that is walking over a frozen lake in the snow, but cracks through the ice into the water. It seems like he will die, but then a fairy saves him, and he gaily walks home to recover. :) I just love how cute this track sounds, and how ridiculously sad the sad part is. :D And the use of sleigh bells as a melodic instrument was such a great idea. :D This track is just so full of character, that's probably why it's my favourite. :)

Favourite song that I have played:
    Alberto J. Gonzáles - Lucky Luke - Jail (see my cover here)
    This is my most recently uploaded cover at the moment, but it might also be my favourite I've ever managed to complete. :) I just find it so catchy to listen to and fun to play! You can really see how much I'm enjoying it. ;)

Don't forget this part, people, it makes the posts so much more interesting! :D
    Impulsive_Egg and wafflecoffee like this.
  13. Yep. Sef's a nerd too. Let's do this!

1) Green Day - I went with Warning on the album Warning since you suggested it
    I definitely respect Green Day as one of those 90s/2000s bands that everyone in my generation knows. I like their energy but it's not something I can listen a lot to. I do have Holiday/Boulevard of Broken Dreams in my library. I like the chord progression with this particular song, it's very simple. Kind of reminds me of surf music without the actual surf guitar
    2) YUNGBLUD
    Loner - This is my first time listening to YUNGBLUD, I don't usually explore this kind of rocker music, but it's not what I was expecting either! Even though I find the voice kind of annoyingly emo, this is still a pretty solid and energetic song.
    Hope For The Underrated Youth - This is something completely different than the other one. It sounds like a sad song but I can't really understand what he's saying. I do like that semi-rap part of it in the second verse though, it works! This sounds like something you'd hear playing in a Blockbuster in 2004
    Original Me - There was a short period where I listened to Imagine Dragons a few years ago, and this absolutely has those Imagine Dragon vibes in it, but turned up to 1000. It's a bit frantic, so not something I'd like to listen to too often.
    3) Skipping Machine Gun Kelly cause I didn't get a specific song so idk what to look for lol
    4) Hillbilly - Upchurch
    Well thats... unique... I honestly don't know what to make of it. Didn't like it at all :(
    5) Would? - Alice In Chains
    Reminded me of Evanescence but a little more punk than emo. Didn't like it very much either
    6) Pearl Jam
    Black - This is kind of monotone, mixed with the fact that the lyrics don't really stick out to me that much, it doesn't stick with me.
    Jeremy - I like that beginning part with the bass and the cymbals, and then the drums GIT. I like the bass, it's a good bass, and the vocals do eventually get out there. It's an improvement from the other one.
    7) Like A Stone - Audioslave
    It's kind of whiny but I like the guitar and the rhythm with the drums is something I'd learn to tap out. I still can't really understand what the singer is saying.
    8) Hunger Strike - Temple of the Dog
    Lyrics: Hunger Strike. I get it. IM HOOONGREEEEEE
    9) Nothing Compares 2 U - Toni Cornell
    This is very different from the rest of songs you've showed me. Understanding the father/daughter duo makes me think of a sad sort of family song about growing up. It also has some country vibes. I can picture this being performed at the Grand Ol' Opery in Nashville
    10) Outside - Staind
    I love improvisation, especially when someone can pull it off very well. (Wayne Brady on Whose Line is it Anyway? I mean come on that man is a lyrical/improv genius). The steadiness of the instruments kind of makes it easy to improvise along to, but the instrumentals carried along with him very well. It would be interesting if it were something more challenging and less mumbly, but still: Improv is dope!
    Sefl likes this.
  14. Anything by A Boy and His Kite (his new album, The Path Became a Ghost, escpecially)

Also He's A Pirate (PotC soundtrack), Get What U Get (Chloe Flower), The Hanging Tree (Hunger games soundtrack), Let it Be (the beatles), Rainbow (Kacey Musgraves), Superhuman (Andy Mineo), Lego House (ed sheeran), and basically any other song by ed sheeran.
  15. 1) Goodbye Lenin ! - Yann Tiersen
    I do love a good buildup. I have no idea what's going on in this scene as I've never seen it or even heard of the movie, but I like that if you're patient enough (which I hardly am) the violins come in and it really becomes a movie score. What I'm imagining is a kid running down the streets of Germany after WWII has ended, or there's some kind of journey with a leaf and the wind and the bright blue sky.
    2) Mario Kart Wii
    Credit 1: Yep, that's groovy! Beach music and jazz!
    Credit 2: This one is very fun. I'd dance to this if I had a Wii when I was 10. Nintendo music is very distinct and identifiable.
    3) Earthbound/Mother Cover
    I too believe in Lucky Charms
    I have heard of Mother/Earthbound, but I don't remember much about it except that it's kind of a dark game with a childish facade.
    4) Frost, Fright, and Faries - 607
    I'll be honest I wasn't expecting 8bit music but it's pretty fun. I think the breaking through the ice part and terror that came with it was composed very well! I got the fright. And the way it just picks back up to happy cheeriness is cute!
    5) Lucky Luke Piano Cover - 607
    You've done a great job making it sound 8bit with an acoustic piano. The timing of the low note beat is just perfect - nice job!
    607 likes this.
  16. Ooh, good one, I think it'd work for that! The film is about a DDR-supporting mother who gets into a coma shortly before the fall of the Iron Curtain. The idea is that the shock of figuring out that the DDR had ceased to exist might kill her, as she is very weak after waking up out of it. As such her son and his friend try to keep the DDR alive in her bedroom (which starts out by finding the pickle brand she loved but got replaced by a Western brand but quickly escalates to creating fake news airings). This music plays when the mother is home alone and finds out she can walk again, and slowly makes her way outside. It's so intense because she's seeing a lot of things she's never seen before, like a floating Coca Cola advertisement.
    It's a great film. :)
    I can totally understand that! It is very slow indeed, but in the film it is of course accompanied with visuals so you don't have to 'wait' as much. ;) And because I know the track and where it's going I can mostly feel it out—although sometimes I am also mistaken on when which strings come in. :p

Glad to hear. :D
    That's just about what I know about it too. :p Well, I also know that Mother 3 (which was only released in Japan) was released on GBA, and has an insanely good sounding soundtrack for that system. And I know that Undertale, which was immensely popular some years ago, is based on Mother/Earthbound. ;)
    Haha, thank you! Yeah, I played on this computer growing up and I fell in love with its bleeps and bloops. ;) And thanks for the compliment on the part after the ice broke. :)
    Thanks for that compliment too! Yeah, I'm usually pretty good at rhythm—it's dynamics that I struggle with. :p But I suppose 8-bit music usually doesn't have too much dynamics anyway. ;)

What are some songs you like? Maybe I can think of one you might like too, but I don't know too much pop music. :p I've been considering creating a similar thread myself, but at the moment I have enough to listen to, considering that I mostly listen to video game and film music anyway.
  17. I might eventually link my God Tier spotify playlist one day on here, but for now I am doing others a service

I'll get to yours later today stny!
    Stnywitness likes this.
  18. I'll give you a curve ball. The same artist in 4 different settings. 2 of the songs are ones that gives me goosebumps & chills when I listen to them.

The Artist is Timo Räisänen. Never heard of him? :D Swedish guitarplayer, singer & composer.

1) Started out as guitarist and backup-singer for a national icon of Sweden, namely Håkan Hellström.

2) He then joined the band "Her Majesty". Still playing guitar and backup song. Wrote a lot of the songs as well. Here he is the second singer.

3) He then went for a solo-career with his own material. Quite high-tempo, guitar based. Wonderful voice.

4) Timo have done some good covers as well and in my mind outshone the original song. This one is a performance from a swedish TV-show. I think u heard the original version.

Hope u enjoy!
    Impulsive_Egg and 607 like this.
  19. 1) Shadowland - A Boy and His Kite
    I went with the first song on the album you suggested and I really like the style of it. It's very calming, something I'd imagine my characters spinning to alone in their bedroom. It's definitely a twirly song. Added to my Spotify - I may give the rest of the album a listen, too
    2) He's a Pirate - POTC
    Iconic. Absolutely nothing is impossible with this song playing. Already on my Spotify lmao
    3) Get What U Get - Chloe Flower
    Knowing nothing about Chloe Flower, from the title alone I was expecting some hard rock but instead I got this dope piano with a hip hop beat and I actually love it! Yes, this is totally writing music. Added to my Spotify
    4) The Hanging Tree - THG
    I recently reread The Hunger Games series last summer and the song The Hanging Tree was introduced in Mockingjay, along with Katniss' interpretation of the lyrics, and honestly, it is poetry. This is exactly the kind of folk song that gets written during difficult times by ordinary people (think about the folk songs we know that were written during the American Civil War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq6oyN7L3Qs ). Hearing it translate into the movie, despite the cinematic music that followed (which is a scene that I love from the movie), was very affirming. Usually when you read lyrics you're not sure how the melody goes, so it's great when someone figures it out and makes it work on screen.
    5) Let It Be - The Beatles
    Honestly was never a fan of the Beatles growing up, but I like a few songs that I have on spotify as covers (Across The Universe covered by Fiona Apple for the Pleasantville soundtrack). The Beatles are not really my style but there is no doubt that they were fantastic songwriters, and this song is an example of that.
    6) Rainbow - Kacey Musgraves
    This is one of those songs where - according to my autistic ears - you're meant to hear the lyrics. The sound of the song tells me it's supposed to be sad, but the lyrics tell me that it's supposed to be encouraging, so I'm not sure what to take from it. Kacey Musgraves has a very pretty voice, though. It makes me wonder about her range
    7) Superhuman - Andy Mineo
    This is... different. It's spooky. I was not expecting it to turn into rap but damn that hits hard! I love it! Added to my Spotify
    8) Lego House - Ed Sheeran
    I will be honest, I do not like Ed Sheeran. I don't know whether it's his voice or his music or the fact that literally everyone else just loves him, but he just doesn't do it for me. I've definitely heard this song before somewhere but it's not my kind of thing. It sounds like the mainstream music I resented for so long in my childhood because everyone else loved it but I didn't understand it (raised on old-time and folk music here, not the radio)
    Stnywitness likes this.