Share your...Desks!?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by synth_apparition, Dec 19, 2014.

1. These speakers are... "okay" for general use. They require the USB cable to be plugged into a USB port to receive the 5 volts of power they need to power on and at the same time, you need to plug the 3.5 mm headphone jack into a 3.5 port for them to receive the audio from. ---- I'm using a USB charger plugged into the wall in place of plugging the USB cable into a USB port on my computer. The reason for this is because all USB ports on computers deliver "dirty power" through their USB ports, which these speakers accentuate with some really nasty noise. Even when there is no sound coming out of them. It's static accompanied by a high-pitched whining sound, it's quite hard to listen too and prolonged exposure to this could lead to hearing damage. The USB charger I'm using provides the cleanest 5 volt power possible. I get 0 static this way. :) These speakers are quite powerful, given that they are powered by the USB electrical current. I can feel them shake my table a bit, depending on what is currently being played. (Of course, I try not to turn them up "too much", [see below for more info], but they are surprising, in terms of power.)

In terms of sound reproduction, they... are "okay". Not great, not bad, but "okay". The have some flaws with some of the frequencies they reproduce. The speakers like to accentuate the mids and the highs a lot. It's quite hard to listen to things at an elevated volume because of this. (Based off of how the human ear is more sensitive to higher frequencies than lower frequencies.) They make the audio sound "too bright", and... well, it can ruin the audio at times. If I am listening to a track that is not meant to sound this bright, it will sound quite bad. I have a pair of studio headphones (out of frame) that have a flat response. Those reproduce the audio with almost a 1:1 accuracy ratio. These speakers... do not. Even my bookshelf speakers in the other room do a better job than these do.

Sorry for this turning into a "Joy Reviews" segment (haha), but if you need some cheap speakers that do the job, go ahead and get these. As long as you have a USB charger nearby to power these things, and a 3.5 mm headphone jack nearby to plug them into, then these will be just fine for you. For general purpose, they get the job done, but for sound accuracy, do not get these. There's better options out there than these.
    607 and NickkG_ like this.
  2. Thank you! I will not be buying these lol and I am glad I asked
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  3. You could also look into getting a USB to 3.5mm adaptor, so you can just buy regular speakers. :)
    NickkG_ likes this.
  4. Be careful getting one of these Nick. I've tried a few and they've all had some kind of technical issue. If you know of a very reputable brand then I suggest going with them. USB ports on a computer are dirty power and most companies do not care about "cleaning" the current before feeding it to their devices. Sadly, this results in speakers emitting really horrible sounds due to their dirty power supply... :\
    NickkG_ likes this.
  5. Well, if that's an issue, you could also just get a 3.5mm splitter. I have two and use them (combined :p) on my desktop. You could then just turn off your speakers when you don't want sound from them. :)
    NickkG_ likes this.
  6. I see that Wacom tablet. :D
    Silken_thread and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  7. My Logics professor is apparently trying to get me a Wacom tablet in case there's another partial lockdown (I teach Logic next quarter), but I frankly feel like it'd be a waste of money; there are a lot of teachers that would need one, and if there will not be another partial lockdown, they can't really do much with dozens of Wacom tablets. :p
  8. You can use your iPad for a similar thing - there are apps that allow it to connect to your computer. Much cheaper and you actually get a screen with it too. :)
    Egeau and 607 like this.
  9. Behold! My stuff:

This is my new desk. I designed the layout to make stuff a bit more space-efficient, whilst trying to keep it aestethicly pleasing. Most of my books still need to come in from the attic, where I stored them during construction, but, apart from that, it's done :)
    Alo, yes, that top shelf is at 2.20m, (7 3") I need to be able to reach it, no one else does. :p
    The two monitors are a Iiyama ProLite E2282HS and ProLite E22273HDS, the second is originally my little sister's, (I used to have a tv there, as you could've know from my previous post, in Januairy of 2017,) but we traded to make it so that she has better colours, which she needs, as an art student, and I have two of the same sort, which makes them fit nicely on a combined stand. :)

Apart from that, my computer is the same machine. It has an i5 4570, 16GB DDR3, and a 2TB HDD, but now with an added GTX 960 and 256GB SSD. It has no reason not to work; it has done so for more than six years by now. :p
    The laptop is new, though. It's a HP ProBook G7. It has a i5 10210U, 8GB DDR4 and a 256GB M.2 SSD. I finally decited that I do want to be able to carry around electronics.
    Both the desk lamp and the speakers are ancient, by the way. I think they're more than 30 years old. The quality is really good though, especially the sound. They're Lenco MX 1580s, made in the 1980s, I think, (The only google result says 1975, but that's a sterio reciever.) There's a box with a sound card (and a lot more, which I never use) underneeth my desk, from the same erea, which my pc is plugged into. All I know is that it is a sound system from the time when it was fasion to have everything as small as possible, which my mom's boss decited to use as a PC sound system with his first work PC. When he switched to something else, he gave it to my mom, as she's always been obsessed with sound quality. She used it on her work, but eventially took it home for her new computer, in 2005. When that computer died, it became the sound system of our home laptop. That one got bairly used, so I then borrowed it and never returned anything but the old cables. The lamp comes from a similair place, but is only recently used by me. It used to be located at my father's desk at home.

Also, enjoy it while it lasts, it will never be this clean again. :p
  10. Definitely a massive improvement, good job my guy! :D
  11. Need to show some love for 4-monitor, dual graphics card builds (excuse the wires, not much of a cable management martian)
  12. That looks and sounds great!
    Egeau likes this.
  13. Cleaned my desk today so I figured I would share a pic! I pulled out a few of my Nutcrackers to make it more festive. :D

14. (I don't see any glare, do you?)
    Desk!

This is my desk upstairs that I use for school; whenever I'm on EMC I'm downstairs sitting on the couch, though. :p
    [sydney@overworld ~]$ neofetch
    sydney@overworld
    ----------------
    Host: Precision M6600 01
    Kernel: 5.10.3-zen1-1-zen
    Uptime: 3 mins
    Packages: 1151 (pacman)
    Shell: bash 5.1.4
    Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
    DE: Plasma 5.20.4
    WM: KWin
    WM Theme: plastik
    Terminal: konsole
    CPU: Intel i7-2820QM (4c8t) @ 2.30GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 3000M [upgrading to an AMD FirePro M6100 whenever it arrives!]
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 [unused]
    Memory: 1614MiB / 19892MiB
  15. That's the first time I see someone upload a picture to Commons to share it on a forum. :p
    I mean the one with the credit card under it. Did you take off the cover? It also looks like there's something lighting up beneath the keys.
    I had never heard of the Omnichord, but I looked into it and it's pretty interesting!
    wafflecoffee likes this.

16. Our Dual Gaming set up. Tamraaa and i.
  17. Why Thank you! the typing one has never had a border around in it, i bought it new, havent modifired it, and it is backlit!
    607 likes this.
  18. Sorry, but this one also didn't work until I fixed it. :p
  19. YESSSS it worked! 3rd repost!

Specs:
    core i3 1005g1
    8Gb optane RAM.
    Windows 10 home x64
    256GB SSD

Velocifire tkl78 Keybaord
    Redragon nirvana mouse
    $6 TV from the thrift store
    Omnichord OM-84