Share your...Desks!?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by synth_apparition, Dec 19, 2014.

1. That's what I meant, yeah, whoops. I first typed "Do you not use WASD for Minecraft, then?" and then thought "perhaps he uses the arrow keys" so changed "WASD" into "arrow keys" while forgetting to remove the "not". (I fixed it now)
    UltiPig and WitherDoggie like this.
  2. My mom bought a new desk for me because she said my old one was too ugly. I liked the old one because it was bigger, but now I'll have to force myself to get rid of some of the crap on my desk :p

My PC is sideways now so I can reach the back of it without hurting myself. I was too lazy this time to clean my desk up so this is what it looks like normally lol
    Sachrock and BenMA like this.
  3. Why not put it on the floor?
    607 and TromboneSteve like this.
  4. I would keep kicking it accidentally :p. If I put it next to my desk it would be where people walk.
  5. I know that he has hardwood flooring but I just want to make sure that you're aware that placing a PC on carpet is about the worst thing you can possibly do.
    LBoss9001 likes this.
  6. Yeah, I know.
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  7. Okay, carry on :p
    TomvanWijnen and PeculiarPotato like this.
  8. Maybe under the right of the desk? But this is fine too. :)

Not always, I have 4 old pcs with no fans on the bottom, so for those it wouldn't matter. ;)
    TromboneSteve likes this.
  9. Why would it be? I've had that for years and nobody ever made a remark about it :p
  10. Here's a new picture: this wasn't originally taken for the thread, but it's a picture of my desk, so... I think I can share it here.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  11. If a PC has a top facing PSU on the bottom or an pull fan, you would be essentially suffocating the ventilation by placing them on carpet.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  12. This thread essentially equates to ; share your computers for me at least :p

My portable craptop, where I have been for the past three years...

Before that, I gave this Hp Pavilion a450n a new life after the Alienware Aurora 7500-R4 showed signs of a dead motherboard. This guy's motherboard is dying soon, but that's ok because he has technology from 2003 and I bet he'd die trying to load any structures on EMC. Singleplayer works ok though.

But today, both of the above were pronounced dead

But that's ok, because I just repaired this puppy;
    2008 Dell Alienware Aurora 7500-R4

I basically took the cable that said wait till power on that ran through the motherboard and ran it to the ground cables so that it turns on when plugged in. The issue is that part of the motherboard wouldn't send the power on signal to the rest of the system, but this power supply mod bypasses that and it now works pretty well.

Likely far outdated technology, but can run most of my favorite steam games because I'm a nerd and games stick to me long after they are considered 'cool'

In fact, there are only 4 games I have that it can't run;
    Saint's Row IV
    Need For Speed : Shift
    Shift II Unleashed
    Overwatch (It can run it, just about as good as the laptop did ; less than 20 FPS on low settings)

So now that we established that I live under a rock, I'll have you know that I am only really using the Alienware Aurora until my mother finally agrees to letting me build my new system which should look like this ;

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dq2YTH
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129030

I'll likely also make the area a little more friendly, as it's literally a dark corner in the basement because my mother is triggered by seeing a computer bigger than a breadbox upstairs...

Likely that will eventually include a new desk, reused speakers (only about 3 years old) and more electrical outlets to fit it all, as I only have 2 for the minimum monitor + tower requirement

Monitor will be the same as the HP Pavilion a450n pic, will need a new adapter but it's good enough.

Idk why I laughed so hard while previewing this
    Vizsco, Patr1cV and Mileymoomin like this.
  13. Just re set up my setup

Who needs a PC Monitor?!

Vizsco likes this.
  14. New PC Parts Arrived! So pumped to put it together but sadly I am away for the weekend, but I'll be back to build and use it for a bit before a vacation week (the latter I'm actually happy to go to ;) )
    AMD FX-6300
    8 GB Ram
    AMD XFX Radeon RX 480 (brand new stuff, yo)
    550W PSU
    Corsair Air 240 case
    Corsair H60 for the CPU
    250 GB SSD
    1 TB HDD
    Windows 10 Home

Costed me about 900 for the whole system, because everything that used to be coupled with my Alienware I gave to my brother, including speakers, keyboard/mouse and monitor.(not the monitor with the HP pavilion desktop tho, that can be used as a second monitor if I get a displayport 1.4 adapter) Mine are newer fresher and better though :)

The only real issues with this computer will come with running physics intensive games. AM3 CPU's have weaker individual cores and physics games will chew up and spit em all out. To fix this, later on I might get an intel-socket motherboard and put an intel CPU in. However, most games I play today are FPS games (mainly blizzard's overwatch) and it should run that like a pro on epic settings :D
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  15. Forgot to follow that up with the actual picture of the new setup ;

This was taken when it was down in the basement. Now it's in an old bedroom that we changed into a multi - computer office a few years ago.

Also added an extra 250 GB hard drive, 1.5 TB of storage space now and the opportunity to boot from Windows 10 Home Edition, Windows 7 Home Premium.

This keyboard is glowey. I love it
  16. Not my desk, but it's a large part of it :p
    Meant to post this a while ago but forgot. I bought a 1070 and a crappy $3 LED light strip on amazon. The LED on the 1070 changes colors, which is really cool.

Endermonkey42 likes this.
  17. Pardon, but I really like how your computer's insides look. It's like, really blue. I like blue.
    What defines 'a bit'. :rolleyes:
    607, TromboneSteve and TomvanWijnen like this.
  18. Before:
    After:
    Specs:
    Intel Xeon 1231v3
    ASRock z97 anniversary mobo
    8gb ddr3 RAM
    1 tb hard drive
    120gb ssd
    gtx 960 (ssc acx 2.0)
    corsair cx 450m
    win 10
  19. Sad, My laptop is a bit more than that, But now you have to guess it, hehe... lol, I would post it but kinda very short on time.
  20. but you has moneyz I didnt have an unlimited budget :mad: