Server Full?

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by ajmyers34, Dec 30, 2014.

1. couldn't we look for derelict residences that may have farms on them or put out a notice asking any players who have large farms that they no longer use to re-purpose them or remove them? I know I've seen a ton of those large sugarcane farms in town and I have a hard time believing we need that many.
  2. i cant access servers with my bases or to see my friends, wasnt even able to access my home smp for about 2 hours :/

i suppose i can be social on other smp's tho :p
  3. Any player that is AFK is subject to being booted off by the system as the server fills up. The policy in place is against AFK circumvention to prevent these players from taking up other spots. As we can only see that players are connecting from the same IP and not whether there is or isn't an actual person playing at the other end this is the best we can do at this time. As a reminder for all our AFK farmers. AFK circumvention is a bannable offense.

Although not exactly what you are talking about the server limits and current server player counts are available on the website. http://emc.gs/servers/
  4. I also want to remind everyone that for just $5 USD a month you can get Iron supporter and not have to worry about server full messages.

http://emc.gs/upgrade/
    Bro_im_infinite and ShelLuser like this.
  5. I am agreeing with pab10s here, I do want the actual player count back here because the current one is extremely misleading. Since we have only 10 servers and each one has a maximum of 40 regular people allowed, that comes out to 400. That is less than half of the one advertised on the server list. I would like to see if I can join a server by simply looking at the player count, not by trial and error.

That is $5 a month I cannot do. I wish I could.
  6. I think you are confusing the different types of lag. There is client lag and server lag. Client lag is something we all experience and usually is the most obvious. When your framerate drops it is because your computer is no longer able to handle all of the computations being made. You must also remember that your computer isn't doing everything when you play on a server. While connected to any server, turn off your internet connection and walk around for a minute before you get kicked from the server. You will notice that certain things just stop working. Try opening a chest, using redstone, or breaking/destroying blocks. Mobs also stop moving even if they are in the middle of the air. This is because the servers are sending you those things. Your game isn't calculating the location of the creeper and where it will go next. The servers are in charge of doing that and sending the new location to the player. There has been a lot of talk about entities in this thread and that is exactly what everyone is talking about. Mobs (and other things the game considers and entity) are all handled server side. The same reason your computer drops its framerate is the same reason the servers lag. It may not be as obvious, but the tps (ticks per second) will plummet. It is the same way your framerate drops when there are too many things going on on-screen. Why does lowering the limit help? The staff have the servers set up to only load the entities near players. This helps the servers by not forcing them to keep track of as many things. When you have many players on all in there own corner of the world, the server can't hibernate as many entities and lag happens. By lowering the player count, they are allowing more entities to hibernate. This is why they can't just turn up the cap and let more players on.

This brings back memories of when I first joined. There was only one server and it was often full. Getting connected usually meant watching the player count and as soon as someone left I would spam the connect button and try to get in. Back then, iron supporters were actually really popular even thought they offered only a couple of perks.
    Marktanion likes this.
  7. I'm kind of disappointed about this. I joined Emc because I was able to log on almost every time I'm online, but now I'm unable to go back to my residence and continue my projects. This 40 member cap is an obstacle I can't even get around (without draining my wallet).

Now I have nothing to do since I'm unable to log onto the server I have all my projects on. I understand that it reduces lag, but I'm sure there's a better way than blocking players out of an Smp they need to be on.

This is a great server, the best in my opinion. But things like this may make people leave...And I don't necessarily want to do that.
  8. I hadn't thought of using the server page and maybe I was confusing the server page with the logon dialog, but that takes an extra step anyway. Here's what I'm referring to:
    Servers.PNG

In my opinion, having play.emc.gs show 352/400, 352/1000, or whatever would be fine. Showing a specific server like smp1 as 352/1000 is actually worse than showing nothing at all. I'd like to see the same information that is on the page you linked like 36/40 for smp1.
    PandasEatRamen and deathconn like this.
  9. Although a nice incentive, my post above explains that there are actual technical limitations that they face. They just happened to discover them recently since they actually reached those limitations.
    With the recent influx of players, they likely just found that 60 players per server is too much. With the sudden stress the servers are going through, they need to limit the players. There are likely multiple ways to optimize the server code even more. The problem is that that takes time. They needed a quick way to stop the servers from lagging and this was the best and easiest way. Another option is to upgrade the server hardware but that is very expensive.
  10. I have had zero lag issues with this server for months, I don't understand why they're trying to reduce lag when, from my experience, there is no lag.
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  11. I read it last nice...but that was 3am, I should read it again...
    Marktanion likes this.
  12. Why are there still so many (40) slots on utopia? Utopia usually only goes up to 20 max. Unless those empty spaces don't really make a difference? Why would they make a difference on the regular servers though?

I decided to just vote and watch the forums, I'd rather give a new player an opportunity to play than wasting up a fought over space
    607 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  13. My apologizes to jkrmnj. You were trying to help.
  14. Well, I'm in the same boat as some of you guys. Right now my home server of smp2 is full, I'm also trying to reach smp7 to close a deal but its also full. Which left me "stranded" on smp5 (which seems to have plenty of empty room right now).

Oh, just in case: if you cannot connect to your home server you can still use the direct connect option to connect to a specific server. So, what I did was select direct connect instead of clicking the 'empire' server entry, then used smp5.emc.gs and off I went!

Sure, I can understand the disappointment, and to a certain extend I even agree with you guys. But not all is lost. You can also consider it a new opportunity. I mean; I don't have anything on me but I do have access to my rupees. I also don't have to worry about losing my XP when I die, so... What's stopping me from having some fun in the wasteland? Or checking out some of the shops on smp5 (I could consider buying myself some provisions for my new adventure).

Right now I'm waiting for daylight and then I'm going to hunt for some wood, make myself some tools, see if I can find food and build myself a small shelter. May even gather enough resources to build a small settlement (house with a locked chest) in the frontier so that I can keep my collected stuff on smp5. Always handy to have something when I come back again....

Seriously... It can be a drag, and it can be disappointing. But just try to connect to any other Empire server and if you do have some fun over there. Its doable.

Now if you'll excuse me, I got some trees to punch and some smp5 wasteland to "terrorize" :)

Creepers beware! :D
    607 likes this.
  15. The 1000 players change was put in for big events during a problem in which we had raised the max player limit on the specific SMP, but did not realize the hard cap was at 300. Aikar set it to 1000 to not be an issue ever again and to represent max capacity at 100 players (supporters included) on each server. Technically if we reach the 1000 mark (thinking in the hypothetical sense if everyone was a supporter), even supporters can't get in at that limit. That's why it seems high.

This change was made after a long discussion. This wasn't just a roll of the dice kind of thing. We understand that it will temporarily cause connection issues for some, but we also know that after the Holidays, it will die back down a bit and 40 will be enough. At that time, we can evaluate the impact of raising it back up again. The alternative option was to limit the entity count (already pretty low at 100 entities per residence) and change the mob farm mechanics which would have had more of an impact than limiting numbers of log ins. The holidays are almost over.
    607, ShelLuser and deathconn like this.
  16. Oh and if you are having an issue getting on a specific server, we did up the cap on smp6 to allow for people tp utilize the new pvp arenas that were just released. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance at this time. Form some teams, log in with smp6.emc.gs, and fight it out =)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. No need to apologize. I was just trying to help all of you understand what was going on. Sorry if it came off a bit mean :p
    Marktanion and 607 like this.
  18. Yes, your not alone :(
    FDNY21 likes this.
  19. the 1000 number is purely abitrary that is set on the proxy level instead of the game server level. I choose 1000 cause its nice and flat, and not so ridiculous like 10k that we know we arent that size. 1k was the most reasonable number to write that doesnt try to lie about our 'max size' but also ensures that bungee never blocks people when a specific server COULD be open

now, I can work on modifying bungee to use show x/60 for direct connect addresses POTENTIALLY, but not 100% sure yet.

And as i said before, I do want to improve the process to have a "queue" to get on so its easier. And I will tweak the rejoin interval setting.

but remember, this is likely going to be temporary that were reaching THIS many people on. once holidays end itll likely be back to 30 or so max and it wont be an issue. but during the increased load we needed to handle it.

And for those saying "I haven't seen lag", its because this lag is new. Before EMC wasnt peaking 60 ACTIVE players on. Events are extremely different than active playing the game. I watched many servers sit at 12 TPS all day long the day before we dropped the cap, and the players themselves can attest to the constant TPS warnings in game.
    607 and Pab10S like this.
  20. Is there a reason why you don't set the bungee cap at 1000, but set the shown limit as 400? I know they're separate settings, but have never experimented with them so not 100% sure how they work. Since the 400 is cosmetic, I'd presume it wouldn't cause problems by having 401/400 with it like that.
    607 likes this.