Selling Flags

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by blehmann1, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Do you like this idea?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2018.
Yes 10 vote(s) 23.3%
No 25 vote(s) 58.1%
Undecided 8 vote(s) 18.6%
  1. what deathtomb does and what staff official policy are are not always equal. selling of flags is entirely allowed at this point according to the rules. it just has no staff support if something goes wrong (like someone breaking all of your infinite villager trades). thus your poll makes no sense since you can sell flags in town and theres no reason to like the idea that already exists. i was a mod as of a week ago so i guess im asking myself or anyone to quote the wiki rule that prohibits it.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  2. Krysyy's post says that buying perms to a residence aren't allowed, and no conditions where mentioned. Usually there will be some clarification if something is allowed only in certain situations.
  3. that may be true, but the op of those were subtly different then simply selling perms. id like a seniorstaff in here to clarify :/
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  4. Scamming could take place such as (and I'm only using these names because they're in this thread):
    Me: selling villager/sheer flag at my res 12345, 1K rupees.
    jkjkjk182, FDNY21, bitemenow15, princebee and canuckshockey all tp over and I lead them to a room with several villagers.
    They all /r pay PandasEatRamen 1K
    I get 5K "KthnxBai!" *Logs Out*

I just got free 5K.

As for auctions, Rainbow already covered that:

penfoldex and jkjkjk182 like this.
  5. So icecream cow has said it`s illegal. (http://empireminecraft.com/threads/buying-a-res-closed.29780/#post-570541
    ) The real thing i`m trying to do is change that, not debate over it. So please don`t say nuttin` in the rules says otherwise.

P.S. And icecreamcow did say against sellin` flags, as well as perms.
  6. I haven't seen anywhere that it says flags cannot be sold BUT if Mods say NO then that means No they cannot be sold. You can try to get it changed, but good luck. Mods don't always change their mind. As it's been brought up and even answered by a mod in this thread, Scamming can take place.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  7. Like Pandas said, you can try, but good luck. There is nothing about the idea to debate about, it has all been done before. And the previous rulings were from before we had the Admin flag available, and if the main reason this wasn't allowed in the past was because of scamming/protecting the players, then I find it highly unlikely that it will be changed. There was less of a risk without the Admin flag, so it would make little sense to change it now.
  8. Your all makin` good points, there is a reason the poll`s goin` on until 2018, cuz I feel it could take that long to reach a definitive outcome. I feel we should leave it to the voters.
  9. Uh...
    It's risky.
    It doesn't say anywhere on the rules or guidelines you can't do this, however it's easy to scam with it.
    :/
    Unless an automatic sign for villager flag was given, (with possible time limit?), then I think that it should stay how it is today.
    :p
  10. There's a difference between selling and renting.

Giving permissions temporarily in exchange for Rupees has always been allowed but not encouraged, as long as I've been here. Sheep farms, tree farms, villager trading, and hotels are all examples.

The opposite is also common, like giving permissions so someone can dig out a residence or build something.

I think what Blehmann means by "selling flags" is having a Residence permanently change hands with all of its contents intact. Unless policy has been changed, that is not allowed.

The only plots I have ever heard of being sold had to be unclaimed first before the buyer could claim them, but I see that more like paying someone to unclaim a Residence rather than buying a Residence.

If it were ever possible to truly change complete ownership of a Residence I would be in favor of it, as it would allow some interesting economic possibilities. I voted yes assuming that condition would be met.

There would have to be some sort of formal process in order to make sure a buyer actually got what he thought he was getting. Like a temporary state where the seller's ability to make changes would be disabled until the buyer could inspect the Residence without being able to modify anything then pay for it, after which the ownership would change.

There are a lot of variables involved in getting around the problems. It would involve code and require the right people to accept the idea too so, although I like it, I don't see it happening very soon if ever.
  11. First off, if you really want to change any rules or make influemce, you may want to use proper grammar.

Second, that is legal and has been confirmed but it is not advised. Paying for a flag or access to a res is a very dangerous and risky thing. A player can go derelict, loose their res, or get banned. It is very hard to moderate those transactions. The same goes for selling mob grinder locations. It is allowed but it is highly disapproved of.

While it is allowed and not directly illegal, it pokes at rules and can lead to other rules broken.
    OrangeDuck607 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  12. You are free to sell flags.

You are not free to publicise selling flags on places such as the forums, or in town chat.

Simples. :)
  13. I think it has more downside than up. Also, you can limit access to parts of your res without selling a flag. For instance your villager trading area or sheep farm. I personally would not want anyone messing with my villager trades. As for shear, there is nothing wrong with making a deal with someone to use your sheep farm, it's one of the safer of the examples. If you use flags or door signs or whatever, what is the difference?

I voted no because too many scams come from this sort of thing, and Mods already have their hands full. There have to be some limits to make the mods job clear, and this is one of the grey areas that make a Mods life harder than it needs to be. There are existing ways to make income from villagers or sheep and they are set up that way so that bad behavior is easier to control. I suggest to make a shop to sell wool or items you have traded from villagers and life stays simple for everyone.
  14. It's the same as selling your res in general ... it's not 'illegal'
    You can still do it, just that if someone scams you or you scam them - there isn't always enough proof to know that what you or the other person says is believable by staff - and the staff may not want to handle these cases.

Say I give one of my friends build perm on my res ... and then they break something ... and then I report them for breaking something ... there really isn't anything staff can do because:

1) I gave them perms - so I hold all responsibilities for myself

2) I could have told them on skype or mumble to do it, and just been lying in-game to try and get them banned or to just troll

There's too many things that could have went on for solid proof if things turn flip-side ...

But to put it short: Yes you can ... But if things go awry - we did warn you :3
    OrangeDuck607 likes this.
  15. I forgot, where do you post if you want to sell a res the legit way where you unclaim it?
  16. I did not say anything like that, the point of this thread is to allow people to sell or rent small flags. i.e. trade, shear, breed, etc. This is mainly for farms in which you want the public to pay to use.
  17. Last I checked, in the UN Charter of Rights And Freedoms I can speak/write whatever language, however I like. By your logic, just about every person to use twitter, cannot change anything.

P.S. U spelled influence, influemce. :D
  18. A possible alternative would be to have signs that allow certain people to shear/trade etc. The same way you can have furnaces, hoppers, chests, doors etc. accessed w/ a sign like this.

[ ACCESS ]
    John_Anonymous_Doe