Retro games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BotBerrii, Jul 21, 2015.

1. This is not a console retro game, but PC retro. Even so, I hope it still has a place here. One retro game I actually still play from time to time; a DOS game which allows you to play the Yu-Gi-Oh card / collectors game against the master, Yugi himself:

Yugi: Power of Chaos

There are actually 3 games in this series: Yugi, the destiny. Joey, the passion (you now battle Joey Wheeler) and last but not least: Kaiba, the revenge. Now you're taking it up with the champion: Seto Kaiba. I personally prefer the first because it uses all the cards which you can find in the Anime. The others are more advanced and use dozens of other (advanced) cards (spell / trap) as well as comply a little to later rules (some cards were deemed forbidden in the game).

As you can see the playfield is carefully remade. It goes through all the different stages of a turn: Draw Phase, Standbye Phase, Main Phase 1, Battle Phase, Main Phase 2 and the End Phase. It has places for the monster cards (middle rows) and the trap and spell cards (outer rows). It also allows the use of a fusion deck (lower left corner) and obviously a field spell card (star icons above the fusion deck).

Battle Phase; Yugi is about to get a little surprise ;)

The game is a bit predictable but still fun. For example; Yugi will usually heavily collect cards in order to get all pieces of Exodia the Forbidden One (which will automatically make him win the game) or he'll try with dozens of spell & trap cards. Still amusing.

Auch, my counter attack wasn't really appreciated ;)

This is also something I enjoy from the game: small cut scenes which show Yugi (using the same English voice actor from the Anime) and it gives you a nice feel to be part of the game and really battling him.

Uh oh, this can't be good. What monster do you think he's summoning?

"Yes, this is the card I was waiting for! I offer 2 of my monsters as a tribute. I'm counting on you... Dark Magician!".

Some of it maybe a little cheesy, esp. since only the mouths are animated and compared to the stuff we're used to now.... Still, I think it's fun :) And complete, this game has everything to get you started:

Card list showing my favorite card in the game: The Mystical Elf

A list of available cards, and the ones I haven't unlocked yet all remain hidden ;) This makes it more fun in my opinion because you don't know what to expect. Note that Yugi has access to all cards from the start, which sometimes makes it frustrating if he suddenly pulls Raigeki on you (remove all your opponents placed monster cards from the field) while you don't even have that card, let alone the anti-Raigeki card.

Still, frustrating or not: it makes a victory even more sweet. What could be more fun than winning while the odds are against you?

Deck construction

Here you can construct your deck. As you can see: main deck, your reserve deck (or whatever its called; the one you can use to switch cards with during a duel (3 round battle)), the fusion deck and of course all the available cards on the right. Seems I even unlocked a new spell card.

And what if you don't know anything about playing Yu-Gi-Oh? Well, that's why I like these kind of games so much:

Tutorial time, master Yugi will teach you the basics ;)

The game has all the information you need to get you going and becoming a good dualist ;)

So yah, that's my entry ;)
    ChickenDice and 607 like this.
  2. I love the classic ones... But some of their titles scare me a bit...
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. now I wanna play triple triad, even tho I hate that game
  4. I see why
  5. I wasn't in the retrospect of gamming but I know this game was a part of the super Nintendo.

Game map

Zelda: Link to the Past was the best game during my childhood. That was the kickstart of loving the Zelda games.

Before I was knowned as foxy, I used to be link and was on a lot of pvp servers. Just a little snips of gamming life.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  6. First game i bought on a pc was Theme Park and then a bundle of air games like Aces of Europe, Aces of Pacific, Red baron, ... probably some more. My fav old console is def Sega mega drive and fav game on that was Golden Axe :). Still play Theme hospital from time to time.
    ShelLuser and Kytula like this.
  7. When in doubt, unplug, blow into cartridge, put back in, play game.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  8. Lol, so recently I have obtained a raspberry pi 2, and have loaded up retropie onto it.
    Now, I do own every single game I got on there (utilizes roms, just saves me the hassle of needing loads of old plastic and controllers laying about -- plus HDMI connection on it, as the latest TVs dont have the Video inputs)

Been showing my kid the fun of the following for the SNES
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Super MarioKart, Super Contra.
    Awesome few games to start someone to get interested in the classics.

Personally I consider anything 'retro' to be two generations back as a rule of thumb.
    So PS1, PS2, XBOX... all are 'retro'. Xbox360, ps3 are now classified as 'last gen'.
    Gamecube, and any sega console games (genesis, 32x, CD, saturn, dreamcast), are also 'retro'.

Now, the handheld portables are a little harder to classify as what is retro. Personally I think the DS is right on the edge of it. Same with the PSP.

Only game that I had that broke (that I know of) is an atari 2600 cart of bowling.
    Rest that I have on hand, all function.

The nice thing, is that even after having a kid, it has been instilled in him to respect games, manuals, and that keeping things in minty fresh condition is the way to do it!
    607 likes this.
  9. Oh, gaming... <3 I could go on for pages about this. You know what? I'll try :p
    One game every couple days. We'll see how long I keep going, this could be interesting. Not today though, it's late already, and I have things to do tomorrow.

Wow, I never knew about that thing! :eek: I saw the commercial for the console on YouTube, and it looks amazing. This really seems to be one of the best games for it too.
    The horror! D:

That post could only be made by ShelLuser ;) Definitely no tl;dr, though, I fully read it, and I think it's definitely one of the better trading card game games for its time. Most good Yu-Gi-Oh games came much later.

Now that is one I should still play. I'm hesitant, though, as I haven't even beat the Minish Cap, yet (got frustrated because of a full rupee bag). I think I'll go for a console Legend of Zelda first (Wind Waker or OoT, probably).
    ShelLuser, highlancer54 and clan23 like this.
  10. I never beat this game, I got stuck on the boss in the woods of the dark world (I forgot what it was called). I was like; god dang it!!!
  11. Oh, please, not too many spoilers :3
    highlancer54 likes this.
  12. Skull woods and yes that dungeon is hard but I do that 2nd when I finish the first boss of dark world.

You should try the palace of the four swords talk about a challenge there.
  13. Spyro (PS1 games and one of the GBA games which I lost), Mario Kart Super Circuit, Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot, Pikmin (I have yet to play 2 and 3), Luigi's Mansion and thats all I can think of as of now :p
    607, Kytula and highlancer54 like this.
  14. The dungeon is easy, the boss tho, even buying 3 blue potions didn't work, also do you know how to get the fourth bottle?
  15. Also does Sonic Adventure 2 have a place on the talk? I'm downloading it right now. It was originally on the dream cast and I'm getting it on my PS3
  16. Are you saying you didn't know what the Intellivision is?
    607 likes this.
  17. I first heard about the intellivision on a movie article on netflix.
    Just sign into netflix and Search Video Games: the movie
  18. 1982 called. They want their game back.
    I spent hours on this game. Personally I think it gets a bad rep.
    Falling is totally frustrating, but you can indeed master getting out of them ditches.
    607 likes this.
  19. I actually watched the documentary they made about that (I watched it on Netflix).
    I found it to be interesting and got a better understanding of who, how, and why things happened the way they did.