[Results] EMC Rule Enforcement

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Maxarias, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So .... Why these statistics ???
  2. today i was permabanned for NO reason. i was mad today at a player so, being an american i had to cuss at him. I didn't do it in regular chat like an idiot though i PMed him. This is a first offence of swearing on my part and i was BANNED for it. I understand you need to crack down on griefers and cheaters, but people who used too much caps or swore in PM need a 1 day kick or something
  3. Not right place to appeal or debate about your banned pm the mod who banned you. Cussing someone out via town chat or pm is still the same.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  4. About a month or two back, the EMC members were asked to fill out a survey asking for their views on how the rules are currently enforced, as well as whether or not they think banned players should get an appeal in certain situations.
    These statistics you are seeing are the results of that.
  5. I agree that ppl that swear at others in private or public should have better sense, and a warning should be enough but we do have commands to stop ppl from doing that also, such as /ignore player.

This is the problem with EMC ppl are banned way to easy and its why so many don't bother playing on it any more.

To a great extent I have kept quiet on this for a long time and feel that to make a big fuss of it all will just go on deaf ears, but just to say I do honestly feel that some of the moderators in dealing harshly with players like this has done EMC way more harm than good. Before the harsh ban's came every server was either full or almost full it was a challenge to get on to your server and play. This is not to say that ppl should not have been punished in some way i have been griefed several times by mindless players who just don't care and i know several that broke the rules by hacking but for the most part none of these did much damage to economy, ok they made a few more rupees a bit quicker then others.

But if i was in business and banned every person that did stupid things to when in my business like EMC has i would be out of business. This must have hurt EMC $ badly, because it ruined the game for me and many other players.

Temp ban's and a reset to day one should be enough with 3 strikes and your out. Even if the temp bans where up to a month depending on the severity of what the player did wrong would be far better then perm-ban's that must hurt EMC way more then the players.

Anyway I have had my rant so I will say good night.
    M4nic_M1ner, Ausizoro and BeKaLuSa like this.
  6. I am VERY glad you are finnaly stepping up to the plate on this one. I voted harshed for everything possible. EMC is the most lax by far on ban appeals I have seen. There are quite a few people who have been banned NUMEROUS TIMES on EMC, which makes little to no sense. Appeals, like said earlier, are for people falsely banned, not for people who wish to repent. I mean, it's good that we have a system, since some people, myself included, have been falsely banned before. But letting people back in who admit to their crimes is another story. And to the person above, frankly, I would rather be a smaller server than I could be, rather than having a bunch of griefers running around.
    mba2012 likes this.
  7. I personally think that it would be good life lessons to do so. Like you have a POSSIBLE but not very reliable chance of maybe getting back on if you really miss it. A friend got me perms banned a while ago and when I saw it when I tried to log in, you seriously could not feel the devastation I felt, it is really horrible. Seriously people who are actually willing to appeal have obviously really missed EMC and wouldn't go against the rules again.

Also it currently is far to harsh on banning, and because of it you always have the chat polioce online, and its almost like they have the words 'spam' and 'language' and 'caps' preset. So irritating because the trend is copied by younger players, and once I said 'damn' and somebody said 'NO SWEARING!'.
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  8. I don't disagree in the servers being smaller but with 9 servers and 200 average players playing across them all, sometimes I may as well just be playing sp then smp. At times some servers have 0 players on them, maybe your new to EMC but when I started on here it was full lots going on all the time which made EMC what it was. Now all you see is the remnants of the builds on what was players res's. I agree ppl that grief and cause problems should be punished, but I feel that EMC are the one's that are being punished the most out of it all.
  9. The results seem accurate to me! Being the worlds best staff and all, ya'll are too nice to those who don't deserve it. Its one of the many reasons ya'll are loved. :)
    Also, When were these done? I would have like to take the survey. :(
  10. Ages ago;
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/emc-rule-enforcement-survey.15552/
    There were constant messages in the server too.
    Ausizoro likes this.
  11. Well, it's kinda your fault you friend got you banned... I don't know how many times mods advise people to NEVER give out their password. It isn't too harsh because I know people who are repeat offenders of a rule breaking and are still on EMC doing their thing.
    Dwight5273 likes this.
  12. Me? NEW? I am nearly as old as the cow himself. The reason people are not on as much has nothing to do with the ban system. It's all about whats new. EMC used to be that shiny new server that all the cool cats got on. Then after a while, the horde moved on. That simple. It is not about how many people are on a server, its about how much fun they are having, and the quality of the players.
  13. I assure you we are not banning unjustly, but we do not ban much really.

EMC has a total of 3304 bans out of 61528 members.

Our ban rate is roughly 10% of the new member intake rate. Id say that's fairly acceptable.

We are going to be less strict on smaller violations like chat where appropriate, but your statement you made is exactly the problem:
    You think its no big deal a player broke a rule solely because its not doing much damage.

The point is, that player knowingly went out of their way to break our rule, using suspicious mods that could potentially steal your account, just to get an advantage in game.

That is a big deal, and that's something we look for in appeals. When someone comes to us with that attitude your displaying, they do not get an appeal.

EMC's numbers were low way before our new policy. 1.4 has shown much of it has been due to 1.3 bugs. Many of our players are becoming more active due to 1.4.

Our long stretch of no updates during Justin's absence was also a primary factor in our drop in numbers.

Us banning rule breakers had absolutely no impact on our numbers. You know what did though? Being too lenient on rule breakers. We've had incidents where players have became very disgruntled because we appealed someone, and they ended up quitting EMC and caused alot of sadness in their group of friends.

This is a huge problem! The people who didn't break the rules are the ones losing here, and the rule breaker (griefer/thief) is the one left playing on EMC.

If anyone thinks that is acceptable, then they should find a different server.
  14. Sorry, serious post and all, but I did giggle a bit there.
    (I agreed with everything there, anyway.
    nick5013, Manglex, penfoldex and 2 others like this.
  15. I corrected him on that, and he edited it out, but you found it! :D
    RainbowChin likes this.
  16. Aikar cant have a spelling error, Gasp
  17. Proves I read it all, at least :)
    Maxarias likes this.
  18. Well said.
  19. While EMC can be considered a revenue generating business, the most important and prosperous things about it is the community. You view it is when a player is banned, as bad business. I view it as good moderating. Have you ever visited a server where anarchy rules? Where players are seen more as 'potential dollar signs' versus actual players? So many servers offer so many features just for money. Up to and including being an administrator/ubannanble/flymode/creative mode monster. While EMC might have a tiny part about it that is about making money, guess who gets that money? Not the moderators. So, the fiscal part of it really applies in my concerning of rule breakers an absolute zero.

I will ban a diamond supporter just as fast, if not faster, than a non supporter. They agreed to the same rules as you, me, and every other player who is on this server today. If we were about money entirely, we would make a new supporter rank, make that thing purple, and charge 100USD and let people fly. And walk away. Our biggest advertising feature is our community, built upon mature players, mature staff, and an environment, that promised to the best of our abilities, is the best for playing Minecraft.

You say the reason some people do not bother playing on here anymore because 'ppl are banned way to easy.' If someone chooses to leaveve EMC because we enforce our rules to harshly, then honestly, I am glad :). It is one less ban I have to make.

I am not here to make money, if that were my goal, I am grossly underpaid for my services. Its my personal belief that the community that EMC has, which has been shaped and molded by ridding it of the filth that has plagued it, that has not only brought as many people as we have here, but kept the numbers coming back that we do. I, on a personal stance, would play on this server by myself, if it meant that the rule breakers were gone. Its not even about the economy, its not even about money. Its about the fact that there are so many players here, who work so hard to do the things they do, and follow the rules, being around people who are upheld to the same standard. That I know when I look at one players lot and see the things they have created, they have done so by no extra means than that provided to every other player here. There are some amazing creations here, and to downplay them with an insult as heavy as allowing someone to walk scott free with cheating, or bullying, or misbehavior in a general sense, is against everything we strive to be here.

This community is built strongly. It is built legitly with the right and left clicks of players that have to roam many meters into the wild, fight off the same amount of mobs, and keeping their screams of anger when dieing to just a small murmur of 'Oh fudgecake i died'. The fact that our community is built upon this will gurantee, that while other servers may fail when in times of lacking activity, ours is just getting ready for the next chapter. Due to our values, of upholding the rules the way we do, we have a solid userbase of people who are willing to stick through the suck, and see us rise again, which is only inevitable. One cheat is one too many, and allowing players to walk away with knowing what they have done is built upon a lie, is wrong, when so many do such great things here, with the thought of cheating never crossing their mind.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.