Residence Tags Loss [SMP5]

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Hello everyone,
    As you've seen on the forums recently, there was an issue where we accidently lost Residence Tags.

To summarize, we had an update over the weekend that was cleaning up some implementation details about tags to provide upcoming changes to them, and it required us to "Migrate" how they were stored.

So, that code worked fine and all...

We deployed, and then a major bug was found (unrelated to the tags change) that required me to instantly revert the update to avoid damage (thankfully reported quick before any damage was done, players were able to break any block in town)

However, that tag migration code also got reverted.... resulting in the servers no longer seeing tags in the data file, and then saving a new file without any tags!

Chicken wrote some code to restore tags from a backup file, which I then went to apply tonight.

smp1 ok.. smp2 ok.. smp3 ok.. smp4 ok... smp5 error

apparently our backup system for smp5 has been broken for a while! Yikes.
    I was unable to get a copy of the Residence file from 3 days ago as the backups were broken.

So this means smp5 has sadly lost all Residence tags (outside of any you may have re-added in past 2 days)

I've thankfully fixed the backup folder now, thankfully on a non critical loss, so that in the event we do need to restore from backups, they will be there.

All other SMP's were restored, but any players on SMP5 will need to reapply their tags to their residence.

We are sorry for the inconvenience
  2. Uh oh! Thanks for the notice! I hope people with tags see this! You and the developers do so much, and what you did accomplish is amazing!
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  3. At least you found the issues and you fixed the majority of them! I’m sure I can speak for the whole community and say thank you for your time and effort you and the wonderful devs do for the community! :)
    RainbowPony, MoreMoople, 607 and 3 others like this.
  4. oof. Sometimes to find the bad-side of something you must find out the hard way... this situation seems to be one of them :p
    607 likes this.
  5. Except there could've been a much worse time to find out the back-ups didn't work. ;)
    FadedMartian, Tuqueque and Starsphere like this.
  6. Always knew that 5 was broken
  7. It's a classic problem I have to deal with many times... (too) many people find out that their backups don't work when they actually need them the most. That's why (sporadic and random) backup tests are so important.

It's a good thing the damage was limited... For some reason I would have expected the backups to fail for SMP8, not 5 :p
  8. I assume then, anyone who had tags above the normal player limit would need to become supporter again in order to get them all back?

Thanks for the fix :)
    FunWart, purplebook163, 607 and 2 others like this.
  9. oh no! thanks for telling us though :D
    Starsphere likes this.
  10. Well I know what I'm doing this morning, poor 5 :(

Thanks Aikar! :D
  11. I made my smp5 red when I had diamond, do I get less tags now?
    FunWart and 607 like this.
  12. Anyone who was a supporter and had a residence on 5 DURING that supporter period (ie, you didnt claim the res after you lost supporter), can PM SS and ask for tags to be added.

We have the logs to verify when a residence was claimed and when supporter started and ended, so we can validate.

Please PM SS with what tags to add.

But if you are a supporter, just go ahead and add the tags yourself.
  13. There's only two things that will break SMP8: Alimony, and Cake. ;)
    Tbird1128, __Devil_ and FadedMartian like this.
  14. SMP8 survived cake. You don't fool us, you lot were weird before the caketastrophe.
  15. it was sad that everyone lost their tags, but it was cool cause I reset mine so for like and hour or so I was the only res on smp5 that had a shop tag. (after I set it I tried to use the shop tag about 50 times, that is how I know)
    purplebook163 and 607 like this.
  16. I was going to hop on and randomly give /shop tags to reses to make smp5 feel like the other servers. Come on people keep your tags relevant. If you stop selling please remove your tag. Players get frustrated when they visit a /shop tagged res and there is no shop.
  17. Smashes the above post 600 times because it is very true
  18. Rest in Peace SMP5 Res Tags. You will be missed by your respective owners.
    purplebook163 and FadedMartian like this.
  19. Just FYI, my smp8 and utopia tags were gone as well. I am diamond now, so I just added them back as I think I remembered them. Not sure if this was just me or if others were affected.
    purplebook163 likes this.
  20. coding is terrifying
    purplebook163 and Eviltoade like this.