[Real World Pricing] RAM Modules

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by TheDarkAngel7, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Hey EMCers,

Some of you might know or might not know that my computer was recently giving me blue screens like "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA" or "MEMORY MANAGEMENT". When I'd get back online after a blue screen I'd say "Blue screened :p". Before I tell you what my problem was let me tell you that my computer came with a 8 GB module and a 4 GB module. My 4 GB module was the one that was failing. How I found this out was I shut down the computer, pulled my 8 GB module out and ran my computer on the 4 GB alone. It was blue screen after blue screen. I shut it down again and pulled the 4GB out and put the 8 GB in, no blue screens. I even stress tested my computer for 45 minutes, no issues. So I concluded it was my 4 GB module that was causing all the problems.

Picture of my 8 GB module:

Anyways, I want to get another RAM module because now I have an open spot on my motherboard. A buddy of mine suggested Kingston. I know the community is probably a little more knowledgeable about prices than this angel is.:confused: Their 8 GB ram modules are $70, is that a little steep or do you think that's about right? The reason why I'm wanting a 8 GB module to replace my 4 GB module is because a gaming group that I play with a lot says it's best to have all your modules the exact same size. I don't know why that is so if any of you know why that is please let me know as well :).
  2. Price will heavily depend on region and of course where you buy it. Another factor is the type of memory, I don't mess with hardware that often so I can't really tell from the picture alone if this is DDR3 or DDR4 we're talking about. Another issue is the speed (for example DDR4-2133 or DDR4-3000 (or higher)).

But generally speaking: $70 for 8Gb sounds good to me. Kingston is a good brand, I've worked with it a lot myself as well. But if there's one thing I learned from this day and age its that brands don't differ as much as they used to.

Hope this can help.
    TheDarkAngel5786 likes this.
  3. I won't claim to be an expert because an ex is a has been, and spurt is water under pressure, but I do enjoy computers. What you have there is a stick of DDR3 Ram, and while I would love to tell you exactly what to get...I feel this is more the teach the person to fish as opposed to hand them a fish. I spent about 20 minutes researching your inquiry and came up with a few sites for reference for you.

First I researched your exact stick of memory : http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/dram/pc-dram/ddr3-unbuffered-dimm/M378B1G73EB0?ia=693

This gave me data to work against.

2nd, I found a forum discussing what I know to be of value when purchasing memory to support my recommendation here. It is always best to buy memory in pairs, especially if you are trying to "because a gaming group that I play with a lot says it's best to have all your modules the exact same size." I understand this is initially more costly, but in the long run I personally feel it is worth the investment. Here is the forum thread : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302479-30-matched-pair

3rd, I looked for just basic info to help you get a better understanding and hopefully cut down on the length of my post :) Here is a link for memory info : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/understanding-ram-timings/

Not knowing what the specs of your motherboard are, I cannot make the best recommendation as I do not know what the limits are of the board. Based off of the current stick I see in the pic, I would recommend this : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233538

I know brands aren't everything, but this post is made possible by Corsair RAM :) The Corsair RAM listed there is in the same voltage range as your current RAM and it has a lower Cas Latency. There is also another set of RAM for the same price with a higher speed, but also with a higher case latency, and I don't know if your board will support it.

In most cases when you buy a set of RAM....that RAM has been tested and tweaked if you will to run optimally together. Adding another 8 GB stick of a different brand will work, but it may not allow you to reach the full potential that could have been obtained if you had invested an extra third and got a matching set.

I hope this helps, and Good Luck with your Upgrade

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
    TheDarkAngel5786 and ShelLuser like this.
  4. Does it matter which manufacturer the RAM chips are made by, the one that's in my PC now is made by Samsung. Would their chips work with Kingston's chips? Does it matter at all which manufacturers made the chips?
  5. I've heard Kingston is a great manufacturer, however I really Like my HyperX Fury RAM.