Rainbow Banner? (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hoops_McCann, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who told you that?

Gay people don't have a choice over being gay, just like you don't have a choice over being straight.
    This has never been a problem for the UK (England and Wales, and I believe the Scottish want it too), and two of our countries have had it legalised for nearly 3 years now.
    From what I can understand from what you've written, you now hate the supreme court and homosexuals because they're going to 'vandalise' the U.S flag and its created a huge problem? When gay marriage was legalised in England and Wales, nobody made the Welsh Dragon rainbow colours or rainbow-ified the St. George. When its legalised throughout the entirety of the UK, I can't see anyone making the Union Flag a rainbow. Your point is pretty... messed up.

EDIT: TIL Scotland legalised gay marriage last year. Just N. Ireland left to go and every country in the British Isles will have it (and the entirety of the UK!) :p
  2. You have gay people in your family but don't support gay marriage? What if they meet someone and want to get married to show their eternal love for each other? How is that fair?

Oh and by the way, the USA is not the first or only country to allow gay marriage. Many other countries allow it (http://www.gayweddinginstitute.com/images/world-gay-marraige.jpg).

Maybe because people don't follow the backward thinking of the Bible? It's basically an outdated book which needs to catch up to modern society.
  3. nfell2009 likes this.
  4. That's actually the wrong map in terms of countries that allow it. I do agree that hopefully there won't be any reds! Here's a better one:

Countries like the UK moved from allowing only unions to marriage :D
    (excludes NI)
  5. I'm sorry that you've been led astray. If you got these teachings from a church, my suggestion would be to try out different churches until you find one that doesn't teach hate. If you got these teachings from your parents then hopefully you're under 15 so you still have a chance to rebel.

#lovewins
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  6. I just caught this. Hopefully one day you'll learn why this makes no sense. Straight people are not oppressed, thus there is no need for straight pride.

If I take away your rights because you're straight then it make sense to have straight pride.

Take a history course and understand the civil rights movement and then come back and tell me this makes sense.

When they ended slavery this is the same sort of reaction people had. They felt like because slavery was ended that somehow infringed on their rights to own slaves. In due time you'll realize you're wrong but in the meantime it's important for people to point out to you that you're wrong so that anyone reading this doesn't think it's okay to say stuff like "straight pride" ok.
  7. So you used this thread to bash people for loving who they want, and then when people went against you and proved most of your facts wrong, you leave because "EMC isn't a safe place to share your views." GG

This thread has been an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. From people being happy to bible thumping to "The gays are going to cause a dictatorship." I'm starting to think this site can't talk about things rationally, let it be the confederate flag or gay marriage. I'm amazed at this point we don't have a thread about Obamacare with a flame war going on in it. As much as I love free speech, I'm kinda thinking the mods maybe should start limiting these types of threads because of the crapshow that always ends up going on. Maybe they could instead make staff posts for them.
  8. This is why I don't think they should do this:

Life issues, like who you can marry or not marry, are more important than a game. It's important to discuss important issues and who better to discuss them with than those in the community you care about. If I lived a sheltered life and everyone around me felt the same way OR if the other main communities I was that I cared about like church/school/family all felt the same way then how would I ever learn that there are other ways to think and feel about things? How would I ever learn that I may be thinking about something the wrong way?

This is a community and it should be okay to discuss these things. I mean politics, religion, etc are always going to be heated. This is a normal thing. It's okay to get emotional and discuss things as long as you don't resort to ad hominem attacks. But if we do get to that level it's just important to realize it and pull yourself out.

[Adding more in:]

I don't know if kids these days still do this but when I was in high school it was considered normal to call people "gay" or "homo" as a way to insult them. I don't recall there being any discussion about how we felt about homosexuality amongst my friends but I doubt any of my friends felt like this was a hateful thing to do aside from the obviousness that we were using it as an insult. I also don't recall anyone being "out" at my school although I'm sure there were other students that knew they were gay and possibly some teachers too, I don't know.

We didn't talk this way around our families, just inside school or amongst friends outside of school. So this is the definition of being "sheltered" because everyone was doing it and thus we knew no other way.

Now I was in a band and was really into music and one day we played a show with another band and over time I got immersed into another community that was based around our love of music. There were many out and proud LGBT musicians in this community. It wasn't long before I learned that calling someone "gay" or "homo" in this community was never a hateful thing, it was considered either neutral or a term of endearment. So a complete 180 degree difference from how it was when I was in school. I quickly learned how wrong it was to use it as a hateful slang term for someone.

That is how we learn, that is how we grow. From taking part in different communities, having discussions about life issues with a variety of people, etc etc.

That is all.
  9. I didn't say there shouldn't be, just that they should be run by the staff. They shouldn't use them to censor the users but I feel the threads would be a lot less angry feeling if they were watched more.

In other news, relevant Polandball comic.
    cadenman2002 likes this.
  10. I don't have time to write a meaningful post here. I respect everyone's right to their views. I also have my own which I hope others will respect.

Out of support for those who share my beliefs, and so they know they aren't alone, I have chosen to cancel my supporting membership. (-1 Diamond Supporter)
    Dragonhawk32, Aikar and TigerstarMC like this.
  11. k
  12. lol
  13. Sorry, is this the equivalent of crossing your arms and pouting?

'Think my way or I won't support you'

Absolutely ridiculous......
  14. and since you're being so generous to your friends who share those beliefs I feel like I should do something as well.

Anyone who has hate in their heart for specific groups of people and feels that everyone shouldn't have equal rights, feel free to message me in-game or privately on the forum and we can discuss this so that you can grow as a person and learn how to accept that love in all forms is a good thing.

#JesusTaughtLoveAndAcceptance
  15. I think you're quite right and although I am a christian myself, I am open for gay marriage. I mean, look if that is who you love cool! Love isn't a always 'straight' thing and that is okay! It doesn't need to be a big deal like it has been for the last day or so.

As for your Quote Mrlegitislegit, yes forum posts need to be limited from these kind of political issues ESPECIALLY this one because of how much conversy is around it. You're going to find more people aren't the same way.

Your bound to find these quotes in this forum. As for me, I can't comprehend on how much hate is going around all our players here. As for me, that is my saying in this topic.
  16. This thread has officially reached its precipice. We allowed it to stick around because normal conversation over something significant in our lifetimes was something we understood the community would like to talk about. However, players from BOTH sides of the decision need to understand that differences should not make us hate each other so much. Differences of opinion are going to happen in every area of your life, at all stages of your life. Learning now to understand how to control yourself in these types of discussion will save you many headaches in the future.

Final statement:
    Nothing really matters at the end of the day except what you think. We, as the human race, cannot agree on everything, but we can make a conscious effort to treat the opinions of others with the same respect that we expect them to treat ours. You should treat every discussion on the internet with the same respect as if that person was sitting directly across from you at your table. A computer screen does not excuse hatred or bullying. There is still a person on the other side...

Thread closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.