[QUIZ] Chance to win a game. [quiz ended]

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BigDavie, May 25, 2017.

1. Would you like to win a copy of the game The Witness

I am giving away a Steam Key for the PC version. All you have to do is answer 13 questions. Warning since The Witness is a puzzle game and needs you to think outside of the box I have chosen questions that need some thought.

Quiz now closed

The winner will be the person with the most correct answers. If there is more than one winner then the prize will be given to one of the winners chosen at random.

Discussion of the questions is allowed but discussion on the answers is not. If you have a question about an answer PM me directly. The restriction on discussion of answers will be lifted on 1st of June.

The questions and answers
    We had 132 entries
    1. Which state of the USA is the furthest east?
    Alaska, some of the islands of Alaska are over the 180° line of longitude.

79 correctly answered.

2. A 7 foot rope ladder hangs over the side of a boat with the bottom rung on the surface of the water. The rungs are one foot apart, and the tide goes up at the rate of 8 inches per hour. How long will it be until three rungs are covered?
    As the water rises the boat will also rise so three rungs will never be covered.

82 correctly answered.

3. How much dirt is there in a hole 3 feet deep, 6 ft long and 4 ft wide?
    None, a hole is the absence of dirt.

121 correctly answered.

4. If a doctor gives you 3 pills and tells you to take one pill every 3 hours, how long would it take before all the pills had been taken?
    6 hours, you take one right away then the second in 3 hours and the last three hours later.

92 correctly answered.

5. If there are 6 apples and you take away 4, how many do you have?
    4, you took 4 apples the original 6 apples where not in your possession.

106 answered correctly.

6. If you had only one match, and entered a dark room containing an oil lamp, some newspaper, and some kindling wood, which would you light first?
    The match, you need to light the match before you can light the other objects

123 answered correctly.

7. Some months have 31 days, others have 30 days. How many have 28 days?
    Every months have 28 days, most have a few more days as well.

121 correctly answered.

8. Simon’s father has five sons named Ten, Twenty, Thirty, Forty…Guess what would be the name of the fifth?
    Simon

122 answered correctly.

9. A cowboy rode into town on Friday. He stayed two nights and left on Friday. How could that be?
    Friday is the name of his horse.

118 answered correctly.

10. I asked the assistant in the hardware store, "How much will one cost?" "Twenty cents" she replied. "And how much will twelve cost?" I asked. "Forty cents." she replied. "OK, I'll take one hundred and twelve." How much did I pay?
    Sixty cents, you were buying individual digits, lets say numbers to put on your door, that cost 20 cents each.

92 answered correctly.

11. Billie was born on December 28th, yet her birthday always falls in the summer. How is this possible?
    Billie is in the southern hemisphere, possibly Australia.

125 answered correctly.

12. If you were running a race and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?
    You would not have a place, you are running (organising) the race not running in the race. You likely passed the second place runner while travelling from start to finish is a motor vehicle.

Only 3 answered correctly!

13. In a contest, four fruits (an apple, a banana, an orange, and a pear) have been placed in four closed boxes (one fruit per box). People may guess which fruit is in which box. 123 people participate in the contest. When the boxes are opened, it turns out that 43 people have guessed none of the fruits correctly, 31 people have guessed only one fruit correctly, and 39 people have guessed only two fruits correctly. How many people have guessed only three fruits correctly?
    None, if you guess three fruits then the fourth must also be correct, so it is impossible to ONLY guess three fruits correctly.

98 answered correctly.

Only one person got all questions correct,

Congratulations Bennybeebop

I will PM you the game code.
  2. Nifty! Most of these look familiar, so maybe I'll actually do somewhat well. :p

Also, can we only submit one set of answers?
  3. Yes, you can only submit answers once since you need to log into google.
  4. cool, I answered the questions. My social studies teacher always tell us those type of jokes/questions. Sadly, Im on a Mac so won't be able to play, but GL to everyone
  5. If you win you can give the code to someone else.
    Wanderton, 607 and Tuqueque like this.
  6. I laughed at most of these brain-teaser puzzles because they're old hat to me by now (The "Friday" question in particular is one I'd probably never have gotten without hearing it before). That last one had me stumped for a while, pretty sure I didn't get it correct.

Either way, great idea Davie :) If you want to do any more of these in the future, let me know - I have a few steam codes from various Humble purchases I'm unlikely to do anything with and would happily contribute them to a more worthy cause.
    ILTG, ShelLuser and UltiPig like this.
  7. Did not think of that
    , then add me in!
  8. Love this idea! It's very creative. I'm loving these questions too! Good luck to everyone, and I hope I win. :p
  9. Do I have to explain the answers in the form or just give the answer without an explanation?
  10. Just answer, explain if you feel like it, some already have.
    607 likes this.
  11. This looks interesting :)
  12. Was fun but pretty strait forward. I've heard almost all of them before

I'm guessing you're "grading" manually since the same answer can be written many ways here?
    607 likes this.
  13. That was a fun little brain teaser, thanks for putting the quiz together and letting us give it a try.
  14. Cool! :)
    I don't really play pc games, though, so I only filled in the ones I got without too much effort, and will leave the chance of winning to other people. :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  15. I'm not going to participate because the game doesn't quite appeal to me, but I do want to applaud you Davie on that awesome quiz. I really enjoyed myself reading because of <censored for now> :D

A very creative quiz indeed, my hats of to you :)
    607 likes this.
  16. I'm pretty confident with this one
  17. Nice! The Witness looks very similar to Myst.

I think I did pretty solid on all the questions :D.
    607 likes this.
  18. I answered the questions but do not wish to be entered into the contest for the game. Just let me know how I did. Haven't heard many of those in a long time.
    ChespinLover77 likes this.
  19. I answered as well, but do not wish to be entered into the contest :) Thanks Davie!
  20. Thanks for the quiz Davie. I wrote all my answers in before realizing these were riddles and had to fix them all :p
    607 likes this.