PSA: To all Deviant Art users

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jay2a, Aug 23, 2015.

1. To everyone on EMC, there's been a recent problem. There are bots/other accounts like that that will send PM's to you on the site saying that they have a free premium account upgrade for you. The problem is, it's not very legitimate, and can lead to problems. The PM's look something like this:

Here's how to tell if a member is actually a bot (Through my personal experience):
    • They have bad spelling (Or a lot of typos). Just to an abnormal extent. You'll know it when you see it.
    • No developed profiles or content
    • Their messages look very staged
    • Complaints on their profiles
    • Names that make absolutely no sense, or are just random
    Anyway, do NOT click the link, if you see one. It has risks of downloading viruses onto your computer, and any information at all that you enter will be archived and stolen. The thing is, these links are full of people saying it worked to make the service look more legitimate. Chances are, it isn't even associated with Deviant Art at all.
    Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope you learned at least something from this post.
    khixan and 607 like this.
  2. Good post!
    In general, you should always do some research when getting messages like this, instead of blindly following links and instructions.
  3. I don't understand why bots have such bad spelling/grammar...
  4. They make bots to seem like people. It doesn't help that 60~70% of English speakers cannot use correct grammar.
    607, boozle628, PenguinDJ and 2 others like this.
  5. Thanks for the warning.
  6. :(
    I got one of these too. Bots are always easy to recognize, they often sound like advertisements. "Look at this cool new way to get FREE deviantart premium!"
    Not a real quote, but you get the point. If anything sounds too good to be true on the Internet, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is. It is too easy to scan on the Internet with the intelligence common sense level of some people these days >.>
    607 likes this.