[POLICY UPDATE] IP Bans and the Forums

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krysyy, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Because I was given that luxury by the EMC staff to still be able to go on the Server Forum months after my ban.

Why wait so long to take away that luxury when it's been happening for years? This change shouldn't happen, things are fine how they are. If an IP banned player starts trouble, ban them. Leave it at that. We're already undergoing enough punishment as I stated above.
    Tuqueque and LtCaptainMe like this.
  2. Yes, but how could the entire community be harmed by ip banned players still participating in it?
    Tuqueque, ESSELEM and CoryLovesYou like this.
  3. I don't think you can speak on my "inability to change my attitude regarding the rules" when I wasn't given a chance to display that change. A year is a long time, Krysyy. A lot has changed with myself and EMC.
    Wanderton, Tuqueque and 607 like this.
  4. And can you honestly say that you haven't dug in and fought the staff publicly on every ban that happens because you were banned as well? You, an IP banned player, were attacking staff for their actions and causing discourse in a community that overall (by the look of the likes of my original post) doesn't care to listen to those that can't respect the server enough to follow the rules.

You say that you are harmless on the forums, but are you? Every time that someone asks you or another IP member about your ban, how many times have you spun the tale that you wish to spin with you in a good light, in a private message or otherwise? How many times have you attempted to convince players that you are still in the right about your ban even after there was evidence? Every time that you've done so is another time that you were being disruptive to the community as a whole, even when you think you haven't been.
  5. Everytime I am asked about my IP ban, I always say;

"In October I was selling Halloween themed items and had a lot of orders, and I also had real life issues going on and couldn't deliver the items on time, and people had already paid. I ended up getting banned for "scamming"."

Ask anyone who has asked me why I was IP banned, and they will tell you that.

If you are speaking about the X-Ray'ing ban, I've already admitted to that multiple times and the last time I fought about that was before my IP ban.

41 Players don't represent a community of the 400,000 players EMC advertises that it has, Krysyy.

I'm not fighting or defending my own ban or anyone else's, just stating that this change is too much.
  6. Even now you can go to my profile as someone just asked me this morning about my ban, and I say I deserved it. So tell me, where do you see a harmful player in me?
  7. To add to that: I liked that OP too. And I won't "unlike" it. But I obviously do care to listen to those that can't respect the server enough to follow the rules.
    CoryLovesYou likes this.
  8. You're also using the word "attack" in your argument, to make it seem like I did something worse than what actually happened.
    "Attack"
    noun
    1. an aggressive and violent action against a person or place.
    I never "attacked" anyone, I stated my opinion on the matter on an open forum. That's not against the rules.
  9. This server forum is for those that are EMC players because it is the website for Empire Minecraft communication, news, etc. Until such time that an appeal is successful, you may look at the forums all you wish as a non-player does. The ability to communicate on our server remains reserved for eligible players only.
  10. Technically, all IP banned players are still EMC players. Our IDs still exist in the game, our usernames and profiles are still here. We are players just like you. We love this server just like you. We have friends here just like you.
    607 likes this.
  11. You are banned from joining the server on any account and therefore are not a player. You may be an EMC member, but your EMC player status is revoked when you receive an IP ban. You should have thought about your love of the server and your want to remain an EMC player when you broke the rules.
  12. Well, that's a shame.
    But it's clear, I guess.
  13. I'm on Cory's side for this. People who have been IP banned for a while, and haven't done anything wrong on the forums, should not be removed from the forums. Enforce this rule on the new people to get IP banned, leave the ones who don't do anything out of it. All of a sudden you are saying to these people who have had access previously is "we no longer care about what you have to say, go away".
  14. Re-read your post there. You agree that those who are IP banned should not have access to the forums, yet you only want it to go into place for future bans because your friend happens to be on the cutting block. I know it's difficult when you are personally involved, but you understand the logic behind why this is necessary for the community.
    DrMadFate, jkjkjk182, We3_MPO and 2 others like this.
  15. It seems to me what they're saying is that the people who haven't been able to appeal continue to show disregard for the rules, continue to cause drama because of their ban, or show disrespect to the staff. All of those seem like valid reasons to deny an appeal because they show the person's character. I think this should've been a rule all along and it shouldn't really come as a surprise. The forum is part of the game.
    We3_MPO, Hashhog, Uber_Corq and 3 others like this.
  16. At first, that didn't really seem fair to me.
    Why punish new offenders but not old?
    On second hand, though: when these people committed whatever they did staff found deserving of an ip ban, they didn't know they could be banned on the forums too.
    Future offenders should know.
    Hm...
  17. No, I'm saying that people who have already BEEN IP banned, and NOT caused much in the way of trouble ON the forums, should not be NOW suddenly denied access.

The logic behind this is ridiculous. Yes, I understand why people want this, but no, I don't think it is necessary to suddenly remove people from the forums, unless they have caused enough to warrant a forum ban.
    This is what they are trying to say, but it's incorrect. Not all of them go on everyday like a mad lunatic, some of them post here and there because what they have to say contributes or they do not share the opinion and want to discuss it. Yes, I know, the discussing part can get out of hand, and if that happens then forum ban them.

Honestly, I think this new rule is like saying to anyone who is temp banned, "sorry but you are now not allowed back on EMC"
    607 likes this.
  18. Anyway, I think we should work on a case-to-case basis, not denying people permissions other members have when it is not really needed to do so.
    I think ip bans aren't that frequent anyway, so I don't think that would cause too much time either. Ip bans take time to discuss anyway, then you could well also take forum access into consideration.
  19. In that case, we are accused of being bias against certain players instead. IP bans are already case-by case. It takes quite a bit and staff discussion to earn yourself one. If you earned the title of unwelcome on any account, then you are not welcome, period. Those who are IP banned need to move on to the next server, and treat it with more respect.
  20. Temporary IP bans do not exist.
    DrMadFate and We3_MPO like this.