[POLICY UPDATE] IP Bans and the Forums

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krysyy, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Well, I agree with this update.
    I hope none of my friends are ip banned, though, with the retroactive thing. But I don't think so, fortunately.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  2. #animatronicalivesmattertoo
  3. #followingtherulesmatters
  4. I agree completely with this and am glad certain people that were the cause of it aren't around anymore BUT!

To sit here and say that it was a long process when it was obviously delayed for a reason until a certain person that is notorious for being hot headed got PO-ed then all of a sudden it took like 48 hours to implement... whatever. This is why you all get dug on so much. Stop lying to yourselves and it will be easier to be honest with the community. Jeezus flippin christ
  5. Ur just normal banned tho right
    Wanderton likes this.
  6. This isn't going to effect me much since I don't get on much anymore, but I disagree with this decision, strongly.

I've been IP banned for almost a year now, and never done anything to be banned from forums. I've spoken with a few of my fellow IP bannies and those who I have spoken to and myself, have no hard feelings towards the community or staff, and have no intention of doing anything wrong on the forums. So why cut off access to people who love EMC and have supported this server for a long time? Like I said, I've been IP banned for over a year and still log in to see what's going on. It's not right.

The staff need to rethink their decision and put themselves in the shoes of people who love this community but are cut off from it due to mistakes they made.
  7. These are people that chose to disregard the rules for their own benefits. Surely they should not still be rewarded with the same access as all those that do follow the rules. I've seen many of your posts and I know that you do love this place but there still needs to be consequences for actions or else there is no reason to have rules. People make mistakes and for most, they can come back and should do what they can to return. But like anything it has to be earned.
    We3_MPO and ShelLuser like this.
  8. But some of us haven't disregarded the rules to the extent that we need to be completely cut off. I get where you're coming from, trust me. We have IP bans and we can't access the server, leave it there. Us seeing events, and other things going on in the server and not being able to participate is punishment enough.
    607 and LtCaptainMe like this.
  9. That seems like a very good point.
    This does make me wonder what you were banned for, though, could you send me a pm regarding that, perhaps? :)
    Tuqueque likes this.
  10. Of course.
  11. An IP is must more then a ban though isn't it? I just assumed it was. Kind of the equivalent of being on death row. I think the point I'm trying to make is that EMC as a whole gives access to all who follow the rules. Being part of the community alone is part of the benefits of being on EMC. And that's access should be a privilege. We have to accept responsibilities for actions we take and sometimes that includes all parts of the site. So I do think that if it's severe enough then yes they should be cut off completely. This is just my opinion. I do not think any less of those who are effected by this. They made a mistake and hopefully for all it's not too late to turn things around.
    We3_MPO and ShelLuser like this.
  12. I feel not allowing access to the server is enough punishment. Honestly imagine being on the website and seeing your friend is hosting an event for their 3 year EMC anniversary and you not being able to attend. Or an auction for an item you've always wanted that you know you can win, but can't bid? Or knowing you've spent money on this server for vouchers, and know it's gone to waste for yourself. Far more examples to be said, but I think you get the point. We already undergo a fair enough punishment for our wrong doings.
  13. Okay. Yes.
    I was under the impression that ip bans were only given in cases of offenses reaching outside of Minecraft.
    Selling things for real money, for example, or sharing confidential information.

If you can get ip banned for things that only have impact on the game Minecraft, I don't think you should be able to receive a forum ban for that.
    Wanderton and Tuqueque like this.
  14. Taking into account the description in the OP of when/why IP bans are handed out, then I don't think it is fair enough just to have a server ban. Also why would you want access to parts of the forums that you cannot engage in? If people continue to disregard the rules again and again and again, then they should have all access removed.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  15. Think about it some more, EMC Staff

If this change goes through, and these players are banned, yes, it is their fault for doing the things that got them IP Banned, but it will be your hand that cuts the last string they have to this community. People who have spent years on this server, actual money from their pockets, and their own time to better your community. I haven't physically been on the EMC server in a year, and I still love this server and the community that inhabits it. Most of which have turned their back on me, and I accept that because I deserve it. But I also know I am not a bad person and being cut off from the forums, severing the last place I have contact with this community, would make me completely lose faith in this server.

We love this server, same as you. A decision like this is a big one, and needs to be gone over extensively before making an absolute final decision on it. This change doesn't need to happen to everyone who is IP banned. If someone who is IP banned is acting negatively on the forums, ban them, don't let them ruin it for the rest of us who actually respect the rules.

I'm not going to type a complete essay pleading you to change your mind, because most of your minds are probably already made. I just ask that you think of the results of your decision and put yourselves in our shoes.

nuclearbobomb, TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  16. The appeal system is still open for those that wish to appeal and have a chance to join the community once more, but the IP bans are not handed out lightly and should not be taken lightly.

Background as to the process of this policy:

As noted by bitemenow, this was even discussed back when he was a moderator. I have had MANY complaints regarding the issue of IP banned players maintaining forum presence and voicing their opinions in a community where they can no longer play. As someone mentioned in a different thread, some of the changes suggested already existed, but the banned player did not know this because they don't have the access to see what all has changed.

We've tried to calmly draw a line in the sand and encourage players to appeal. However, that line keeps getting pushed. Players keep seeing just how far they can twist the rule's words while we are simply trying to keep the server playing fair. That's the reason for any and all rule changes recently.

For example, in the past we didn't need to write out what EXACTLY unfair advantage was. People understood not to use the mods wrongly and if you did, you were punished. They didn't push back and fight on technicalities that they KNOW was a loophole they were trying to fit through. If a player thinks a rule was made in response to them because we target them, they are wrong. The rules are made/adjusted because a player found and attempted to abuse a loophole and we have to close up the holes before someone else sees that they get away with it, and then attempts to stretch those holes bigger and bigger until there might as well not be punishment at all. If it's the same player every time, then they may see that as targeting, but I assure you that it has nothing to do with the player. It has everything to do with what the player does. It's being a staff member and having to, at some point, stop moving that line and stand against those abusers of the system. Being a staff member isn't easy because it's never easy to completely say NO, but we have to or the complete system is useless.

Keep in mind that this is ONLY for IP bans. The concept of returning from a permanent ban did not even exist until we decided that players deserved a chance to show that they have changed. I do not regret this decision, because I have seen some players change. I have seen players come back after time away and be a completely different person, because they grew up and realized that there are consequences for their actions. I have received countless 'I screwed up' and 'I was so immature, I'm sorry' messages over my time on this server and it makes me happy to see them come back and become productive members in our community. However, for those that prove to us that they are unwilling to change and stick around simply to point fingers, cause discord when we release new updates they can't even explore, or fight on minute technicalities or word changes in the rules, we as a community have no need to encourage disruptive behavior.

If you don't like this decision because of a personal problem with it, then I implore you to look at it instead from the point of view of the whole instead of the individual. That is what the staff had to do and it was a unanimous decision to promote the welfare of our community and inspire growth and a positive outlook for our server.
    We3_MPO, DrMadFate, ShelLuser and 5 others like this.
  17. I'm looking at it from the "whole", not as my individual self. I'm looking at it as the group of IP banned players who still participate in the forums. This change is just plain wrong.
  18. For a few months ago, I was at the point where I really couldn't care any less about minecraft or EMC for that matter. I still kept up on the forums because we have so many different types of people and just because it was a easy simple way to communicate with friends. What my point here is saying to those who said "well if they are banned why should the be able to use the forums" I personally didn't care about the game but I loved the forums and it is my guess others who are banned feel the same.

Just my thoughts
    607 likes this.
  19. Look at it from the whole of the entire community, not just those banned. You broke the rules multiple times and have proven inability to change your attitude regarding the rules. You are banned from being on the server at all, so why are you still allowed to come on the server forum?
  20. Then they can appeal and follow the rules like anyone else. Everyone is held to the same standards here. If you want to have a voice in the direction of this community, then you need to respect it enough to follow its rules.

Remember that IP bans are not handed out lightly. These players have been given their second, third, etc chance and proved the inability to change.