Please nerf iron farms

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by AlexC__, Jan 13, 2013.

1. I think iron farms should stay although it is bringing the iron price down. Yeah it isn't good for shops because it causes you too make less money but if sop owners jump on the boat then having access to iron farms will actually make getting stock for their shop quite a lot easier... It may not feel vanilla but it is just as vanilla as an XP grinder...

When you say that it was fine when only a few people had them (and were lording over the iron economy) but now bringing everything even where everyone has them it isn't okay? I don't really follow that logic sorry...
    NINJATTILA likes this.
  2. I agree with Alex on this one.... Aren't afk fans supposed to be banned? Basically every double chest of a rare material now are from afk farms. Afk farms are getting wayyyy out of hand.
    smile3 likes this.
  3. I'm just throwing out my feelings, but honestly, iron farms are ruining the point of this game, to mine.

With Iron, you can make good armor, weapons, and a whole lot more, and not just out of minecraft, but more in EMC. Why?

I once had a chest buying iron, 40 rupees for 4, which was an outstanding good deal. Well, this guy had a very good iron farm and spammed sold me ALL of it. I started with 40k, but when I came back, I had 4 rupees left. I checked my chat log, and I informed him of the stupid thing he did to me, and he said this:
    "I won't give you back my money. Go die"

I was like, what? Not only have I lost a lot of rupees, I just got so much iron I don't even need all of it. I got very mad at this guy, but I calmed down, and I left it alone.

Overall, there are a lot of iron farms, and yes, I think they should be banned.

(Just throwing out meh opinion out there)
  4. *Dislike*
  5. If that's the case we should do away with Grinders as those don't require you to mine. Afterall, it's MINEcraft, not GRINDcraft.

Put dirt in the chest next time, that way he can only sell so much.
  6. Fill your chest with dirt if you don't want that many items sold to you at that price, or don't promise unreasonable prices.
    henpenben likes this.
  7. I didn't know about that Azoun.
  8. Go talk to Jeb and the other coders then. They are the ones who are ruining the game. It USED to be about mining. Now they are diverting from that path.
    jamesg003 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  9. If the code was written only by Mojang, it's vanilla.
    If you download the game from minecraft.net and run the unmodified server and client, this will still behave exactly the same. Therefore, it is vanilla.
    Capture.PNG
  10. I talked to Mojang about this a few months ago - Most of the staff members, they told me it's working as intended, even though I tried explaining it was using a glitch in the system into thinking a village is nearby when in actuality it is a man-made multiple amount of villages to exploit the spawn rate of iron golems and get virtually endless iron ingots from auto killers.

With the new edition of hoppers, gathering these material without a player doing any extra work while being afk, Mojang might re-think this a bit (as it will be more then taking advantage of this system ... and in my personal opinion, it is turning more into a modded - vanilla type server (aka becoming tekkit).

For now we need to worry about EMC's issue of this until Mojang decides what to do ;I agree with Aikar, yet I also agree with a few others ... so this is what I thought:
    • In Town - Being afk you shouldn't have to be kicked unless if the server is reaching max people logged in.
    • In Wild/End/Nether - Being afk, when the entity limit is over a certain amount it will trigger a timer ... when this (idle timer) goes over a certain amount of time ... say afk for 10 - 15 minutes or so (maybe less or more depending on number of mobs in the entity count) they will be kicked ... and if no other players are nearby too - reset the mobs where that player was.
    I think this will be fair for keeping town and wild afk'ing separate .... I know personally i feel it wasn't fair either for iron golem farms to be used ... but there 'are' other grinders ... and to keep the iron attainability rate to a fair amount - the players shouldn't be afk to receive the ingots... and this will minimize the problems that hoppers might also cause by auto adding iron to chests, unless if a player is not afk and actually is there...
    Hope my idea makes sense
    -thanks, eklektoi
    AlexChance likes this.
  11. AFKing is easy to detect. You just message the player, and they wont respond. If there are rules against AFKing, they should be clearly mentioned. Keep in mind, however, that a player who AFKs exposes themselves to risks. Mobs could attack them, or they could die from lack of food. In addition, if they appear on live map, and although PVP is not allowed, there is always the risk of pranks.
  12. Question, have you seen FatAndyTheGreat's auction for a double chest of diamonds?
    1998golfer and TomvanWijnen like this.
  13. I personally use /c off all the time in the wild. Im out on my own, so i like to feel that way. I have heard of them doing one test before, they teleport to the player, and place a block in front of them. If the dont respond, they are clearly AFK.
  14. I'm pretty sure that players were only kicked for being AFK before the entity limiter was introduced, and when they could have 1000 mobs at a time. :)
  15. We should only be able to buy and sell to people's shop chests while they are logged in and not AFK. Is it fair that someone could be earning Rupees while they are asleep or not even playing?

No one should be able to go on your residence and use redstone devices like public stone gens or do anything with animals like clipping wool at a public sheep farm either when we aren't online. Although they are Public, I always see a sell chest nearby.
  16. I cant tell if you are being serious, or sarcastic...
  17. I'm not sure if I am or not being serious either, really. I'm just throwing it out since it hadn't been compared this way yet. I was wondering earlier why we accept some things so readily and question others.

I think that if we are going to consider whether building and using something like an iron farm as an abuse, then it leaves every other automated mechanism we use open to scrutiny. Farms, Redstone, and even the Shop system, since we can use our Rupees to trade for materials.

I'm at work now and so far today I've bid on an auction, bumped an auction I'm holding, and earned some Rupees from my shop. I don't even have to be playing Minecraft for me to earn these Rupees which I may use once I am logged in. Since I have Buy/Sell chests, I could potentially not play for days and I still would earn Rupees.

If I can earn Rupees from a shop chest or collect materials from one while I'm sleeping, or build a sheep farm and put a chest there for someone to harvest the wool, or stone gen with a chest for people to sell the cobble to, or make a big tree farm with a chest to sell logs to, why can't I log in and collect drops from a farm while I'm reading the Forum?

It's surprising to me how nefarious the shop system seems when I describe it this way, yet we accept it and other things we commonly do on EMC like they are some sort of inalienable right while questioning others. The rules are pretty simple: We don't create new blocks outside of normal game mechanics and we don't infringe upon other people's ability to play. Iron farms don't violate the former and if used properly, don't violate the latter.
  18. Well then, if all were banned part of the survival aspect would kind of decease because then not all things that we could do in ordinary survival could be done on the server.
  19. Lol wait till 1.5 comes out. Hopper(or w.e its called) puting items in chest by itself allowing Multiple iron farms near each other and all someone has to do is stand in the middle. :p
    collect12 likes this.
  20. I didn't want to get involved in the argument/discussion but after reading through it all I saw some pretty decent points from both sides. Yet this post is exactly what was running through my head as I was reading this. Although, yes, I do admit, they are sort of ruining the economy for iron ingots, it is still vanilla minecraft. As Pab10S stated above,