Please nerf iron farms

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by AlexC__, Jan 13, 2013.

1. I have been trying to get Iron Farms away for around 2 months now. They are stupid, and ruins the Iron prices..
  2. I don't think wed go as far as banning Iron Farms, but the concept of AFK'ing for 10 hours is something I'm likely to persue ending...

Someone AFK'ing for hours is a waste of server resources and is not 'playing' the game. So I will likely eventually update the idle kicker to trigger at all times and also be smarter about figuring out people using minecarts/water (and smarter to not kick people who arnt actually AFK)

Lets also not forget the lag iron farms can cause...

If people are not afk and are doing things and occasionally collecting the iron, checking to make sure its not backed up, etc, then thats not as bad, but AFKing for hours not playing (ie: sleeping/school) crosses into the not so fair line.

This kind of change alone can help your root "issue" Alex, but at the same time let legit players use iron farms.
    ZBSDKryten, jrm531, smile3 and 3 others like this.
  3. Unless you're storing server resources in some sort of magical battery, kicking someone who's idle on a nearly empty server seems pointless to me. Kicking when there are other people whose gameplay is being affected is another thing.

Lowering the threshold that causes idle kicking would be fine, but if there are just a few people on the server in the middle of the night, I see no harm in someone sitting idle. It shouldn't matter either whether that idle person is sitting at a farm or reading the Forum. I think the AFK Kick comes into play now when the server is full. Maybe lowering it to kicking when there are 20 or more players would help with efficiency and still allow some leniency.

None of the iron farms I've seen are set up for anything but AFK time. No nearby crops or animals to tend. Nothing to do but stand and wait for iron. I don't find that very attractive and I rarely have used the iron farms I have access to.

I'd prefer to mine my iron, mainly since I like to mine and I get other items as well as feed my desire to explore. On the other hand, if I have a project that is going to require a lot of Iron, I'd like to have the option of using an iron farm.
  4. So there is no buggy auto afk kick on already and you have been kicking me as soon as I stand on the spawning spot for my grinder?
  5. Justin changed it a while back so that it only kicks you when the server is full
  6. Well I have got some random afk kicks after I move from the kill zone up to the spawning spot (25 blocks up 3~4 blocks side to side) with a not full server. Was thinking it was buggy system or a mod that doesn't like me.
  7. Well, I don't think that a Mod would kick you for that lol.
    And I think it is activated at close to full.
  8. So Alex you were okay with just a few people like you having them but now it's not okay if everyone has them?
    Wow... Just wow...
  9. I never had one
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  10. I was was just going of what akar said (last sentence second paragraph) on his last post ;)

Also I don't have or use a iron farm but have nothing against them, this wanting to ban them because its bad for economy is silly. This is minecraft you build stuff and the point of an econ server is to have resources to purchase. If price goes down big deal you like to build stuff, a big shop owner like your self should have all the blocks and eggs to build a farm that's not afk only or w/e.
  11. This falls under any kind of grinder. Blaze rods haven't gone down, but how many people use them to grind? Iron is one of the easiest thing to find while mining. In my opinion this comes down to greed. If this is a survival server, and you like building, then WHY does the amount you would get for an ingot matter? To me the idea is to help players who do not want to go out to the wild, or they are just setting their house up in town. The idea is not only to play the game and help yourself, but the idea of a server is to play TOGETHER and to help EACHOTHER. Just sayin..
  12. They have, a lot actually :)
    Jcplugs, smile3 and Pab10S like this.
  13. Yeah...0fps to the point you can't even log out properly sucks. I don't think I'm still able to go to iSMOOCH's very long.

Well, I'm sure back before the mob limit was put in people would/did have farms. But now with it in place they've probably taken all that away because it will affect them.
    Pab10S likes this.
  14. if you want a substantial amount of iron at an iron farm it takes a lot of resources to build the iron farm big enough to produce that much i takes at least 2 weeks to finish it completely and a lot of cobble or what ever people use to build the iron farm, people also like a challenge and at the end of a challenge it is nice to get an outcome,
    i am sorry i don't agree with this thread
  15. Since when have you typed like that? :eek:

And im the same, I dont see anything wrong with iron farms. Iron has stayed at 5r per for all I know for who knows how long
  16. I think that we shouldn't ban iron farms. If we do we would have to ban all Generators. That would result in the prices for things like cobble and stone to shoot up. That would mean more people Efficiency 5ing the wild to death. The wild would be worst then it is now. The ability to stay safe and mass produce stone without the need to venture out in the wild and have the chance of being killed is what probably stops all the stone from the wild from suddenly disappearing. Its not a glitch and is in the game. They won't get banned unless Mojang says they no longer want iron farms.
  17. Farms aka mass production are an important part of the game and any economy. Price drops happen, and they can suck if you don't plan for them, like slimes spawning in swamps, and paper being largely worthless now that villagers aren't infinitely rich and stupid. Iron is now one of the few items that I can almost always find a supplier for. As a result, it's one of the items which actually have decent prices, rather than letting supply and demand naturally produce really high prices because you're dealing with people who want to have fun, and a task like cutting down trees is not something the average person will do for hours on end, no matter how much virtual currency they receive.
    smile3 likes this.
  18. i say if you have a iron farm or gold farm exp farm etc you should share it with 2 or 3 people(friends i would presume) so that it isnt so selfish looking to everyone who doesnt have one and isnt able to make one.
  19. There are numerous YouTube videos on how to make iron golem farms so look it up. I don't know about gold farms - if someone has one of those can you please sell me loads of gold?
  20. Those are actually pretty easy to make- make a circular platform in the nether ~30 blocks in the air, and have a little pole for you to afk/stand on. Then after a bunch spawn, hit one, and every zombie pigman will try to attack you, and fall down 30 blocks to death.