People omitting points at the end of sentences

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 607, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Hi, it's me again!

In the past few months some people that do not (usually) post in a highly stylised style have been regularly omitting points at the end of sentences. If this has happened to you: why? It looks careless to me.
    That's all for now; I could add more but I don't want to jump to conclusions. :p Let's see what people have to say, first.
  2. Points?
    For my uk brain that's full stops right?
    607 and Fred_TWK like this.
  3. are you implying that people on here are not using proper grammer, strukture or speling breaking all the rulez we use to communicate effectively and making otherz have seizures while trying 2 reed and understand the conned-tent of what your saying

I'll just put this on the next line for you

:p
    sonicol1, Fred_TWK, mba2012 and 6 others like this.
  4. Yes. I thought they were called 'full stops' but when I looked it up 'points' seemed more generally accepted in the UK. Maybe I went wrong somewhere. :p
    No. That is what I meant with people that do not (usually) post in a highly stylised style. I am implying that some people on here that do use proper grammar, structure and spelling omit points.
  5. It is interesting to see how other cultures describe that little dot at the end of a sentence. It is typically called a period in the US.
    Joy_the_Miner and nick92461 like this.
  6. There was some research a couple of years ago that revealed some people, especially younger people, perceive some punctuation as intimidating or insincere. Especially points/periods/full stops and ellipses (...). I think the research was about punctuation in short messages (texts and messaging apps) but I wonder if that norm is carrying over to other communication, including forum messages?
    nick92461 and 607 like this.
  7. That is true. Ending single-sentence messages with a point can be perceived as passive-aggressive. Maybe it could carry over, yeah. It's probable that many people on EMC communicate more via instant messaging apps than via forums.
    I also seem to remember that short posts more often lacked a period than long posts.
  8. I require communication to be in the enthusiastic and gregarious form that Torian demonstrated or I require the full bells and whistles with all appropriate stops. Period.
    Apologies, but I just cannot handle more than 2 choices.
  9. The research just backs up a commonly accepted Gen Z internet culture thing. There are entire TikToks dedicated to people laughing at their grandparents/parents using proper punctuation on social media/over text because it makes things look aggressive to younger people (“come down for tea” is fine, “come down for tea.” looks like a threat).

I remember back when I was in school there was concern from the government that text language (‘lol’ and stuff like that) and not using proper punctuation was a sign kids were becoming illiterate and they tried to whip it out of us in school. Clearly didn’t work.

Anyway as for why it’s being carried over to the forums, I don’t use them unless the post is more formal or I need to use the full stop effect. My posts where I’m trying to be funny completely omit proper punctuation and capitalisation lmao
    607 likes this.
  10. Well, you just taught me a new word! :D Not sure if it will stick, though. It comes from Latin, apparently, but I don't think I ever came across it...
  11. It has also been observed that older people tend to end sentences with an ellipsis instead of a single period (eg. I talked to mom today...). This sounds even more ominous, I would say. :p
    Yup. There has also been a similar sentiment with regards to emoji. I would link to the research that looked into this, but most people probably can't access it anyway.
    Here's a sloppily copied excerpt, though.
    Yup, I've noticed that. I don't like the effect itself, but it is clearly intended, and different than omitting full stops in an otherwise serious post.
  12. --- .-.. -.. . .-. / .--. . --- .--. .-.. . / .- .-. . / .--- ..- ... - / -- --- .-. . / .-. . ..-. .. -. . -.. --..-- / .-.. .. - . .-. .- - . / .- -. -.. / -.-. ..- .-.. - .. ...- .- - . -.. --..-- / - .... .- - .----. ... / .- .-.. .-.. .-.-.-
  13. “607 and others comma splicing sentences” should be the next thread. :p
  14. Wow, great to see, but I'm rusty. Makes me feel like a kid again passing secret notes. 🙂
    UltiPig and 607 like this.
  15. and there is a full stop/point/however people call it at the end :D .-.-.-
    Joy_the_Miner and farmerguyson like this.
  16. Sure. :p
    UltiPig likes this.
  17. I talked to my 17yo daughter who informed me that when she sees a period at the end of a sentence from one of her peers, that it's an “angry period” and the person probably not happy for some reason. For us, older folks (50's), she knows we always use periods and tries to make allowances for that but must do so consciously. Thanks for bringing this significant topic to my attention!
    607 likes this.
  18. Cool that you talked about it with her. :)
    I thought that this only applied to instant messenger apps, however, and probably text messages as well, but not, eg., forums and letters.
  19. Forums...letters...what are those? A tik tok or snap chat filter? ;)
  20. If you have multiple sentences yes i use them. If you have one sentence then no i dont use them. Unless it's in a formal setting, emc ain't formal 😂, then I would.

Altho I can see how full stops might be angry but I don't see how UNLESS THERE IS SOME CAPITAL LETTERS BESIDE IT.