Our internet doesn't work reliably: what to do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 607, Apr 24, 2017.

?

Do you experience internet problems at home?

No, it's very stable and reliable. 2 vote(s) 50.0%
Yes, from time to time. 2 vote(s) 50.0%
Yes, more than rarely. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Hi, it's me again!

In the house I live in currently, the internet connection has always been very slow. But I used to be happy, as it was very reliable. It had practically 100% uptime.
    However, recently, I often can't connect (or so it seems).

My iPad is connected via wifi, my desktop pc via a cable. On both devices, internet will show up as connected. However, I can't receive or send anything. On the router and modem, the lights for Power and WLAN are lighted up.
    If I take off the power and reconnect, it takes a bit for it to reboot, but in a minute both lights will be on again. However, that doesn't mean I can do anything now.

After a variable time, I will be able to connect again. It's hard to tell when, though, as it shows up as connected anyway. But on iPad I'll often get a Twitch notification when my internet's back again.

This problem has occurred way too often lately in my opinion, so I want to try to do something about it. What should I do? Replace the modem and router? Switch internet providers? I don't really know much about how this stuff works: the only thing I know at the moment is that it often doesn't.

Thanks! :)
  2. Turn it off and on again. More seriously Apple stuff is very stubborn to connect to my wifi the first time, but once I get it connected it works like a charm. So, since you're using an iPad that could be part of the issue. Although we live in very different areas with different ISPs so I'm not too sure
  3. How did you conclude that?

The best way to determine if Internet is up or not is by opening up a command line (press win-r, enter 'cmd', hit enter) and then trying this command: ping 8.8.8.8.

If that command also delays and times out then you seem to got a connection related problem (more on that in a sec). But if that command works normally then it could be that your problem is more DNS related (assumption on my end right now).

In short: if you go to a website (for example www.empireminecraft.com) then your computer will need to 'translate' this to an IP address. That's done using DNS, and that's also sometimes where problems can occur: your PC could be waiting for the name to get "translated" (resolved) and if it doesn't...

Which brings me to some questions: what is the error message you get when trying to connect (when it doesn't work)? I'm sure your browser is telling you something... Try to be specific.

Also: do you know the name and brand of the router you're using? Can you log onto your router, and if so does that say anything specific? Maybe it has a diagnostics section?
    607 likes this.
  4. Alright. That's some helpful stuff.

I can't check any error messages now, though, as it obviously works again. I'll save a copy of this webpage, so I can access it when the problem occurs again.

The router we're using is called FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7360. It's possible to log onto it, but I cannot do so, as I haven't got the password. I could try asking my mother to try to log onto it, perhaps, but she might not be available when the problem occurs again (assuming it will).

I didn't know about that ping command: that's neat!
  5. Then my guess is that you're using XS4All as Internet provider (maybe don't answer that ;)). Which could lead up to another possibility, but please keep in mind that I'm guessing right now.

I know that XS4All has been pushing hard for IPv6 adaptation. IPv6 is the next Internet standard, it's a new form of IP address (to keep this post simple). There is a possibility that they've changed some aspects of your Internet connection and while it should work as normal, it is possible that you'll get better results with a firmware update.

Now... I need to stress this out: Do not do stuff like that casually because there's always some risk involved. First check up with your Internet provider about this; they should have informed you guys if they have been applying an update of some sorts.

About the Fritzbox: that's good news because they're very feature rich routers. I've worked with a few myself, and although I'm not familiar with this one I do believe it has a diagnostic option. So it might be a good idea to ask your parents permission to log on whenever the next problem occurs so that you might be able to use the router to find out more about the cause of your problems.

It's possible that it can even detect if an update is available on its own, which might help. But once again: be careful with that.
    607 likes this.
  6. Okay, the error I'm getting is
    Code:
    ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

When pinging, the requests time out also.

Why not?
  7. Ok, that means that it's not a DNS related problem but definitely something to do with the connection itself.

The main possible causes I can come up with is that there might be a problem with the router itself, or the actual Internet connection. You should be able to somewhat test this by logging into the router and look for any diagnostic options. Sometimes a router can also perform some 'ping' diagnostics tests, so if that is a possibility I'd also try the ping command on the router itself to see what happens.

If the router itself can ping 8.8.8.8 and you can't from your computer then there might be a problem with the router. If the router itself also can't connect using a ping then there's most likely something going wrong with the connection itself.

But before you do any of that I'd start by contacting your Internet provider and tell them about these problems. They may be able to log onto your modem and check its condition for you, as well as verify that your connection is still in-tact.

At the very least check their website to see if there are any known errors or issues.

This is still a somewhat anonymous Internet forum, these posts can be read by anyone, and as a rule of thumb it's safer not to reveal too much information about your connection details. I know an Internet provider name isn't much of a risk, but it's also not fully relevant right now ;)
    607 likes this.
  8. Shel has already hinted at my ISP, and I don't think the other speeds have got anything to do with the issue, as when the problem occurs, ping's infinite, and download and upload are at 0.
    But here you go:

PING
    230 ms

DOWNLOAD
    2.20 Mbps

UPLOAD
    0.50 Mbps[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
  9. I will try to do that. Or get my mother too. ;) But that'll have to wait till another day. I did get the password, and yes, there's a diagnostics option! The firmware is up to date, at least.
    I have not found an option to ping.