Opinions on removing minecraft id

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aletrisrex, Sep 10, 2022.

?

You like that decision

Yes 2 vote(s) 33.3%
no 2 vote(s) 33.3%
unsure 0 vote(s) 0.0%
it's okay 2 vote(s) 33.3%
  1. Soo, as u know. minecraft is removing username id in few more days
    This mean they will remove name history (so far as i know).
    My opinions:
    -It have 2 blade knife (one is privacy's sake and other is abusive who use acc to bypass bans by changing names)
    -If it's another steps for server's custom bans (aka pluigns) to encourage use chat report thing then it's not okay
    607 likes this.
  2. I'm just neutral on this, don't particulary care for either... Unfortunate namemc will stop to working, and a little bit confused as to why mojang decided to do it since I do not see any a way this could be used maliciously, (that is outside of the user to fix), but I'm sure they believe it to be a good decision.

As for for players bypassing bans with namechanges, thats not how (decently made) servers ban people, they usually use the user-id of the minecraft account which persist accross name changes.
    Fred_TWK and 607 like this.
  3. Huh? I don't know. Where's a source? I did two Google searches but couldn't find it.
  4. 607 likes this.
  5. Thanks. I dislike that. I use namemc a lot. It is useful to know who a person is... or even remember what names they've had.
    Ugh. I wouldn't be so convinced on the people behind this believing it is a good decision, by the way. Removal of username login, addition of a global ban system and dropping support for alt accounts are all recent decisions of which I quite question Mojang's, or perhaps rather Microsoft's, motives.
    Tuqueque likes this.
  6. When I read the OP, for a moment I thought you meant that they were going to remove usernames. That would've been bad. :eek: I mean that you'd have to use your Xbox Live name, not that you wouldn't have a name at all. :p
  7. This is absolutely paramount in protecting the identities and lives of trans people online, as well as those of anyone who has changed their identity online for any reason. I would elaborate more on how this does so, but this thread is not in the controversial section, so I will not do so. Personally, my Minecraft username history is the only thing tying me to my old identity and deadname, so this is more than a welcome change. I've requested senior staff remove my username history on EMC multiple times to no avail, so here's to hoping that the next time I request that they'll listen to me...
    DaybreakerMC, Fred_TWK, 607 and 2 others like this.
  8. You could have asked Mojang to remove it in the database. That’s what I did with a previous username of mine, relatively quickly, and thus got removed from the Mojang API, so it stopped appearing both here and namemc.

thats why it is confusing to me this decision . Allowing for removal of previous identities might be really important for some people (and can already be done), so not sure what they attempted here
    UltiPig and 607 like this.
  9. It's still on my todo list to make name history visibility toggleable by the users. I think mojang removing their name history api is a good motivator to me getting it done.

Without a code change, there is not currently a way for senior staff to remove your username history. :) So we can't blame them this time.
    UltiPig and Tuqueque like this.
  10. Thanks for pointing that out!
    Ah, right, the names listed on EMC are those that have been observed on EMC, and not requested from Mojang?
  11. Correct, we have never used the Mojang api which is being removed