Opinions on deleict policy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aletrisrex, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Read at title
    For me, it's annoying and cringe.
  2. Update Oct 25: This post was posted originally here. I have updated the information to reflect's chickeneer's Oct 25th update in this post, however if I ever update information again, I will probably only update new information into my original post. Stating once again, that I’m no staff, and this information was research with publicly available information of past forum post and the wiki. If staff want to update or cross-out archaic information in the future, please do so!

-Tuq

First I'm going to leave this here, as I have seen many players not knowing of some of the details of the derelict policy, and what they mean.
    607, We3_MPO and LindenNZ like this.
  3. I agree with chickeneer's suggestions. I was thinking that older players deserve 60 days of protection regardless of supporter/staff status and permanent protection, though! Perhaps all retired staff should also get permanent derelict protection as a post-service gift, too, and not just retired developers and senior staff/admins.
    Kryarias likes this.
  4. Yes, its very annoying, just change it back to the old system! /s
  5. That's a fair point. /s
    The derelict system back in the hay day of Minecraft was 10 days by login only. No voting option to renew.
  6. Is it still necessary given that town has an abundance of space? Right now, it's essentially just a revenge system of wiping other reses and then immediately unclaiming them...which continues and continues as great builds are wiped and people quit/are discouraged from coming back.
    Raaynn, 607, JesusPower2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Idea

Elite Member 500
    Esteemed Member 750
    Dedicated Member 1000
    Revered Member 1500
    Venerable Member 2000
    Bronze Forum Member 2750

Forum activity is “rewarded” by protecting from force claim even when derelict
    Elite: 15 days after derelict
    Esteemed: 30 days
    Dedicated: 90 days
    Revered: 180 days
    venerable: 365 days
    bronze: indefinite - can only be auto-claimed

so for me, if I became my last day of activity was in May 1 2022, My reses would become derelict on June - and be able to be auto-claimed like any other using the already existing priority list, but no one would be able to forceclaim my res until June 2023

For this, voting instead of logging-in would give a fraction, such as 1/2 or 1/3, of the protection days
    UltiPig, Kryarias and sonicol like this.
  8. Yes it is necessary. It is on a todo list to evaluate to what extent. Rebalance to current EMC.

I do not know of any clear metrics which tell us what thresholds should look like. Ultimately, would need to do some data collection before any changes could take place. Not just made up numbers that are arbitrary.

I will reiterate what has already been said. But if y'all (or someone you know) is concerned about the derelict system due to something IRL. PLEASE send senior staff a message https://pmss.emc.gs/ - as a proper review on the system cannot happen overnight. We can grant temporary protection if circumstances are preventing them from playing. Everything has its priorities, and right now my IRL priorities are pretty heavy alongside trying to make EMC work. Because if we can't make EMC work, then the derelict policy won't matter anymore for anyone.
    607, We3_MPO, UltiPig and 3 others like this.
  9. wait, it's super short day
    did this nesseary for town to reverse lots of space for new ppl?
    cause this are from deleict players, thus discourage them from dedicate to server (i.e plot wipe,etc..)

first, u are balancing emc. ik but let's look at current emc players (some of them once dedicated, but now they left) (and tldr now active emc player has declined)
    second, you can hire more staff by forms, add more member responsible for staff's applications. Ik i has make a issues because i has touched them, but that's a fact. Those senior staff or mod still labeled as staff despite they arent do anything for a long time.
    Stream team? They're already dead.
    and third, you will think "how to make them spend cash on server?" make emc worth for them to pay.
    fouth. if you would like emc work. think about how to expand the size of community, dont just stand there, getting cash from old loyal ppls. You will need new ppl spending cash on server
  10. i think its funny
  11. What exactly is so funny? Where is the humour in someone force claiming an important res then unclaiming it? Something like this should be considered griefing. I guess it can be funny for a well known and liked member to lose irreplaceable items because some bonehead had a stupid thought.
    We3_MPO and OhMiku like this.
  12. This is always a testy subject. But I agree, it's important to protect important builds. As a reminder, players can vote on behalf of those derelict players to extend their status. I used to split my daily votes so I still maintained my streak and shielded someone's property that had been away for awhile.

13. I'm torn on the issue.

I find it hard to care about a lost build, when the builder didn't care enough to protect it. Perm protection is not so hard to obtain for someone who has been playing a while. (Promos, voting rewards, donations)

On the other hand, there are clearly some builds that have sentimental value to others. I can understand the desire to preserve the history of EMC as they know it.

Maybe we need a feature where a player can grant protection on the owners behalf? People are doing this anyways through voting. But maybe make it more direct with a rupee fee to extend derelict timer for someone else, or the ability to apply a protection voucher for them, etc.
    Raaynn, 607, UltiPig and 1 other person like this.
  14. You already can do that at pmss.emc.gs

Not many have a spare $120 or 1.3 mil for kindness, though
    607, KatydidBuild, We3_MPO and 2 others like this.
  15. Did not know that. Thanks!

They should try making map art. :eek:
    607, We3_MPO, sonicol and 2 others like this.
  16. If the player that owned and built on the res doesn’t care enough to contact senior staff for temp protection or to even vote or log in once a month then I feel it’s on them if the plot gets reset.

So if a player is just claiming and then unclaiming I’d almost want to consider that griefing.

The new system that should place a reset on plots that after three month’s (90 days) of no log in even if people are voting for it the auto system should reset for no activity. Not hard to log in once every 3 months to insure the auto system won’t reset. Of course the force claim from players will still be able to happen should the player not vote or log in..
  17. Been silently watching this discussion develop, mostly because I had planned to make a detailed thread of my own on this topic. I guess I'll hold off on that to avoid redundancy. If you want to read my detailed thoughts on the whole thing (which I highly suggest because I imagine it inspired this thread and is useful context) I encourage you to check out my most recent status update.

I feel like we're too lost in the logistics of functionality with this whole thing. Obviously there needs to be some system in place that works, but before we get to pitching ideas and working out what will and won't be effective, there needs to be an agreed upon principle. For me, that principle is the value of art about all else. Creation is what makes us human and art an expression of everything we are (not to get too existential). To value anything about the preservation of our creativity & art seems demeaning. Who cares if a player hasn't logged on for a year? Why should their magnificent work be wiped clean? This discussion will be fundamentally easier if we can all agree on a principle, but I feel as though the principle is were most of the disagreement starts.

I also have to heavily disagree with the idea that perm derelict vouchers are easy to obtain. The only way to obtain a perm derelict voucher directly is by purchasing one for $120 (USD). That is a ton of money and there are tons of possibilities to explain why a majority of EMC players don't have that money or can't afford to use that money on EMC. You can get it indirectly by purchasing it from a player for ~1.3million, which is also a lot of money. I have been playing since 2012, have dabbled in the economy here and there, and just recently accumulated enough money to get a voucher (still haven't actually bought one yet). In order for EMC players to get 1.3mil they NEED to dedicate to the economic aspects of the server. Someone might say "well this is an economy server" but lets not forget the PLAY YOUR WAY motto of EMC plastered everywhere. You cannot play your way and afford perm derelict vouchers, therefore the method of obtaining them is not fair or reasonable for all players (also it unfairly tilts the economy towards people with lots of irl income but that's a different story).

Unless my calculations are wrong there are 2,024 reses per SMP making for a total of 18,216 across all SMPs (utopia not included). Empire status states there were only 1,261 players active last month (not sure if that goes for the forums or the server) and there are currently 345 **open** residences across the SMPs (utopia not included). Interpret these numbers as you will. To me, 18,000+ residences is more than enough for EMC's current and projected active playerbase and ~350 open residences seems optimistic for retaining new players. I know I just had a whole paragraph about ditching functionality until a principle is figured out, but couldn't the server turn off dereliction status for all players not considered new players by the system (i.e. players joining within the last 30 days). In fact, why not auto-reset the residences of players who don't return after initial log in, keep the current dereliction system for a given player's first year, then shut it off entirely for those who have been around longer than a year?

I'll end my input on a pessimistic outlook. I don't think this will ever change. The dereliction system, at its core, is incentive for players to buy supporter ranks and perm derelict vouchers. As of right now, it's the foundation on why players are spending money on this server and thus keeping it up... and it's working, for the time being. Unless EMC is willing to ditch that incentive and implement new and more innovating ways to encourage support for EMC (which is neither easy nor as practical) it's hard to see it go. That doesn't mean we have to agree with the dereliction system, or call it fair, or defend it, or like it. I'll keep calling it out whenever I can. Once again, highly encourage those who want to read more to read my original status update.
    607, We3_MPO, JesusPower2 and 3 others like this.

18. By voting just the TopG site each day, a player will receive enough for a voucher in two years. Two years is a long time but there are ways to shorten it. (Vote on more than one site, sell the vouchers and voting reward items, sell a couple promos, etc.)

You make good points in your post and I don't want to distract from them. But I did want to voice an opinion here.
    607, We3_MPO and DaybreakerMC like this.
  19. I agree. One of my biggest concerns on SMP6 is that one day, EmperorMelon's and IceQueenDawn's residences will go away, even as Baradar67's are protected forever. They built some multi-res builds together.
  20. I am still working on deciphering some of the sentences by the OP. As I understand this statement, it means that you do not like the current dereliction policy?

"reverse lots of space"
    Are you asking to go back to the smaller size of town, the way it was before it was expanded a few years back (2015?)

gotta ask this: "tldr" in the middle of your explanation?!?
    Too Long Didn't Read, it means a summation at the end of the post or at least a shortened thought.
    The online voting process needs to stay. If we have irl trouble with accessing the server directly then the voting is the fallback. Yes, voting also gives rupees, but you get 100r every day you log in also. Active players get both and gather more r that way. There have been times where I am not able to log in for a few days, I need the back-up option of using my phone, before I go to sleep or on the road, to vote for the Empire. - - - - - LEAVE VOTING as a RESOURCE - - - - -
    Fred_TWK and We3_MPO like this.