(Suggestion) New version of emc webstile!

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by aletrisrex, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interesting idea, but if you would not be updating the forum, what would be the benefit in updating the website at all, I wonder? We've got HTTPS, and the site still looks good as far as I can tell...
  2. People have been asking for an updated version of the website for almost 10 years now (it's running a >10 year old version), and the response has always been the same.

I've gotta start wondering how many security vulnerabilities this version of XenForo has that haven't been patched by an update.
  3. well, lol, shoot we all know what it took to get 2fa on the forums lol
  4. Do tell do tell
  5. I know that Aikar has backported certain changes to this version that. So that is a question that you can't really get an answer to. :)
    Joy_the_Miner and mba2012 like this.
  6. Why would it change?
  7. well... look at what happened and prompted Aikar to add the 2fa feature, lol. as the saying goes "s__ happens"
  8. You don’t need to replace something that still works.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  9. In December 2015 some absolute madman logged into a senior staff member's account using a password they used on another website and did enough damage (literally deleting people's accounts) to cause massive irretrievable data loss (that's a thick of it reference it wasn't actually that bad), meaning that some people's profiles and conversation history ended up being reset back to the last backup... which was done a year prior. In April 2018, it was discovered that the person behind this incident had also put close to 8,000 member's emails - matched to their EMC usernames - into a document and put them into circulation.

Aikar promised 2FA would be implemented after this incident. However 2FA wasn't implemented until 11 months later, in November 2016, two months after a moderator's account was logged into by another absolute madman (an EMC player who harassed the staff for a sustained length of time, who made their intentions known to several people like two weeks before they even did it lmao) who went around banning players and collected and distributed staff emails, phone numbers, bits and pieces from the staff-only forum, and bits and pieces of data from the staff tools as well as someone's IP address. They then distributed that data to EMC players on Skype.

2fa wilderness was a funny as hell time period though ong
    FadedMartian likes this.
  10. You have shared some details that I had not heard of which is interesting...

Regardless. This thread has served its purpose and will be archived soon. At the end of the day the "response". Would a new/updated website/forum be nice? Sure. But that is not what prevents growth and retention at this time. As such, in my eyes it would be irresponsible to prioritize such a project. Not that I have the skills or time to accomplish such. I will put my free time in the projects that I think could make a meaningful impact for the community.
  11. yea, it's like running windows 7 (unsupported version) in 2022.....
    could've been worse...
    also there's very few sites have old version( or very old, like 1990-2000s sites) and will likely to be unsupported by many popular broswer in near furture.., just like adobe flash player...

sound we lack alot about new features since it's 2009 forums version
    how about rennovate sites?
    many sites in web are doing these big rennovations every 2-3 years and most late are doing every 5-6 yrs...
    also these new ppl (some ppl) are looking at emc's site as well as introduction they would not to partcipate as they think they're too small to partcipate
    you can see many (mostly) new ppl just come to emc, and after a while they left
  12. Incorrect, in most circumstances. Unless you want collapsed bridges, insecure computer systems, lost consumer interest etc.
    W1therRex, UltiPig and FadedMartian like this.
  13. yep, and that's terrible ones
    it's like running windows xp in 2015 or windows 7 in 2022
  14. sometime it work. sometime it does not.
    then we need more players
  15. I know Chicken just said this thread was about to be archived, but...

I used to be a member of another forum-based site. The big day came to transition from the old software to the new one, and it was next to impossible to to transfer most of the data. The solution they came to was to create a subdomain.

So, the main website, www.website.com, still existed. And had an empty forum on launch day. Any old post went to archive.website.com. Any link that you found that was broken could be fixed by adding "archive".

Obviously an overkill solution for our tiny situation in comparison to that one, but if feasible, would preserve EMC history and stuff. I think it'd be worth looking into, as a person who uses the forums and is frustrated by the broken features, but don't know what that would do on the dev end of things.

Also +1 on separating the Wiki into a subdomain.
    Joy_the_Miner and KatydidBuild like this.
  16. Let’s also be fair. You can’t find anything over a year old using the EMC search function. Just gotta archive the threads that have been active for the past year.
    Joy_the_Miner and HazardousCode like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.